2013 Fall Camp - Practice 7 & 8 (Thur Aug 8)

RunInRed

Two-A-Days began today. Both the morning and afternoon practices are closed to the media but Gus held a presser in between and here is what we learned ...

13210285-mmmain.jpg

(Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said he told players after this morning's practice he "wasn't happy" with response after yesterday's scrimmage.

Malzahn said the focus today was cleaning up things in the scrimmage, and on the red zone.

Malzahn on QBs in scrimmage: "Each one of them handled the pressure well." He said they hung in the pocket, "took pretty good licks."

Malzahn said J.B. Grimes was not back at practice this morning, but he will be this afternoon.

Malzahn on freshman WR Tony Stevens: "We really feel like he's talented. We're just trying to see how he reacts."

Malzahn said RB ball security was pretty good.

@AUBlog

Gus Malzahn: "I wasn't happy with the way we responded." Didn't think focus was good.

Malzahn: "We felt like it was important that each one of the guys understood the expectations."

Malzahn said there were several factors in the INTs yesterday but bottom line, QBs are responsible.

Malzahn said no major injuries yesterday, Demetruce McNeal still not back or expected back by Saturday

@JamesCrepea

Malzahn on the defense: "I think they made some plays when they had to. Individually, it was hit-and-miss."

Malzahn said they're "still trying to work through" whether the quarterbacks will be live for Saturday's scrimmage. Decision coming Friday.

@wareagleextra

Malzahn on WRs: "Coach (Dameyune) Craig is focusing on the guys playing without the ball." Mentions hustling for backside blocks, etc.

@JHokanson

Malzahn, on first practice of two-a-days today: "Bottom line, I wasn't happy with the way we responded."

@bmarcello

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Focus of the morning's practice was correction from the scrimmage.

Auburn also worked on red zone opportunities.

Malzahn's goal is to hopefully narrow the quarterback race down after Saturday's scrimmage.

A big key on the lines is figuring out what they've got in some of the younger guys.

Auburn's second practice will be half special teams, half installation.

Josh Holsey continues to impress the coaching staff with his intelligence out of the safety position.

http://www.al.com/au...hn_recap_4.html

I'm sorry but from the sound of it our QBs are still completely inadequate when it comes to competing in the SEC. It's like we're cursed at the position.

I'm sorry but from the sound of it our QBs are still completely inadequate when it comes to competing in the SEC. It's like we're cursed at the position.

wow. Thats a quick trigger.

I don't know if it is all that bad. Surely after one indoor scrimage we can't expect Gus to say "this QB is head and shoulders above the rest, so he is our starter"

Patience, IMO we have some talent at QB, let's just watch it develope and get coached-up!

People said the same thing about Cam after A-Day. Give it time.

That's what it looked like last year, but I'm going to reserve judgement until we get to see something substantial. Also, I don't think Malzahn is going to come out and say that the scrimmage was great (even if it really was). You have to make sure the players stay hungry and keeping them focused on correcting mistakes is one way to do that.

Cam also wasn't 'Cam!' until around game 4 of the season. I agree, give it time.

I don't know if it is all that bad. Surely after one indoor scrimage we can't expect Gus to say "this QB is head and shoulders above the rest, so he is our starter"

Patience, IMO we have some talent at QB, let's just watch it develope and get coached-up!

Patience is needed right now. However; if Gus is still hemming and hawing after the 2nd scrimmage then there may cause for concern.

wde

+1 Which statement made you come to that conclusion?

Gus is a perfectionist so i look at him not being happy with the first practice as guys possibly being a bit worn out and not responding with the energy and focus he'd like to see following yesterdays scrimmage. Wouldn't read to deep into anything. They have Friday off so that should help for Saturday's scrimmage.

The fact that we had those INTs yesterday made nervous.

Cam also wasn't 'Cam!' until around game 4 of the season. I agree, give it time.

So true! After week two and three in 2010, I remember the TV broadcasting crew discussing who from AU could potentially be drafted. They said "Fairly" was a maybe, and they didn't even mention Cam. What a difference good coaching, plus players catching-on made, late and mid season!!

Oh. I thought you were talking about today's practice. That should be in the practice 6 thread man! Just joking. I think we're fine at Qb. There were some good things that happened yesterday but of course the mistakes get the headlines. After Saturday things should be pretty clear.

So true! After week two and three in 2010, I remember the TV broadcasting crew discussing who from AU could potentially be drafted. They said "Fairly" was a maybe, and they didn't even mention Cam. What a difference good coaching, plus players catching-on made, late and mid season!!

Also wasn't much made of the skimpiness of the blurb that Mr. Newton got in the team media guide early on?

Word is, one of the QBs that threw a pick is out of the race.

I prefer to look at it as a positive in that with apparently have three viable choices: One,a highly maligned but talented kid who may have found his way back. Two, a true freshman, who because of his performance yesterday may have raised the bar for the rest. Three, a gifted athlete who probably can play his way through the first three games without full playbook knowledge. Personally, I like all three options.

Don't say Gus Malzahn isn't stickler for detail. He noted today was first question I've asked him.

@wareagleextra

Awesome! I think congrats to you, are in order!! May I ask?: what question did you ask?

Word is, one of the QBs that threw a pick is out of the race.

Well, it's certainly good to have some separation.

J-Wall might already be out or last on the DC that's interesting.

Expect things to change daily IMO until next week.

J-Wall might already be out or last on the DC that's interesting.

Expect things to change daily IMO until next week.

Agree. Too early for a pecking order right now esp. until the second scrimmage is over. I don't think JW is one and done but he has to show up on Saturday to still have a fighting chance.

Archived