Newest BCS poll

NoALtiger

FSU NEEDS to lose too. I don't want any part of them yet.

I would much rather have a stretch of Georgia, Alabama, Missouri, and then Ohio State.

FSU looks very solid. Looks like we would need Virginia Tech to help us out. :sad2:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this has been discussed on here before but with the new rankings, does anyone know the BCS formula well enough to predict: if we win-out (which is asking allot) we should top a one loss Stanford team, but what about an undefeated Ohio State squad?

BCS in a nutshell.....

Take the teams points for each poll and divide it by the max possible in that poll. Each position is assigned a point value with number one votes being worth 25 points, number two votes worth 24 points and so on all the way to number 25.

For Auburn the polls break down like this:

Harris: 1843/2625=0.7021

Coaches: 1069/1550=0.6897

Computers: discarding the two outliers we have the following rankings and point values....

#8-18 points

#8-18 points

#5-21 points

#6-20 points

Total 77 points/100 max possible points=0.770

Take the average: (0.7021+0.6897+0.770)/3=0.7206

If I have some time I will try to predict what it will take.

That's great and it feels great to be ranked this high. But GA is going to be tough. They always give Auburn their best game, no matter how the rest of the season has been for them. And a loss now will make that climbing all for naught.

BTW, I'd love to play Ohio St in the Sugar Bowl. I think our guys would beat them like a bunch of yard dogs.

I know this has been discussed on here before but with the new rankings, does anyone know the BCS formula well enough to predict: if we win-out (which is asking allot) we should top a one loss Stanford team, but what about an undefeated Ohio State squad?

we would not jump any undefeated teams from a power conference.

The only one would be osu seeing that their schedule is laughable at best

Exactly, OSU is where they are because coaches give them love for winning 25 or whatever games in a row....but their SOS for the past 2 years has made the Conference USA look like a grind of a conference.

tOSU will almost certainly play Michigan State in their championship game. The good news is they could easily lose to Sparty. The bad news is if they win (and I wouldn't underestimate Urban's ability to pull that off), it probably helps their SOS enough to keep them ahead of any 1-loss team.

In that bad news scenario you outlined, I think Sparty will need to win big in their final three games to gain favor in both human polls. They are the lowest ranked 1-loss team from the AQ conferences, the computers don't like them, they haven't beaten any world beaters, losing to ND earlier in the season may come back to haunt them, and they too will not likely face another ranked opponent until the B10CG.

BCS in a nutshell.....

Take the teams points for each poll and divide it by the max possible in that poll. Each position is assigned a point value with number one votes being worth 25 points, number two votes worth 24 points and so on all the way to number 25.

Computers: discarding the two outliers we have the following rankings and point values....

#8-18 points

#8-18 points

#5-21 points

#6-20 points

Uhhh...yeah. :dunno: You just do that for us, please....

BCS in a nutshell.....

#8-18 points

#8-18 points

#5-21 points

#6-20 points

Uhhh...yeah. :dunno:/> You just do that for us, please....

I can see us jumping Oregon and a one loss (if/when that happens) Baylor If we beat Georgia handily this weekend.

If we were to beat bama and win the SEC, I think we would have a good shot with the computers but don't think the human polls would give us enough love to jump FSU or Stanford and we would end up at #3. I think Ohio ST schedule will drag them down.

Auburn is going to end up sending Ohio St to the NC game to get curb stomped by FSU.

Pretty much, Auburn can be the wrecking ball to cause mass BCS chaos.

I see Stanford playing FSU, but either way I wish it would be AU getting a shot but the second best option is flushing the turds.

We need Missouri to keep winning. They/we cannot afford a defeat by them to either Ole Miss or Texas A&M. They need to be ranked as high as possible going into the SEC Championship game. If we can beat a # 25 Georgia, # 1 Alabama and a top 10 Missouri, that should give us the edge for # 2. Let's take it one game at a time. Up next, Georgia. Let's worry about getting our defense toughened up to at least slow down the running game of our opponents.

Baylor: Texas Tech, @ Oklahoma St, @ TCU, Texas. (Seems likely that they could lose one of these games.)

Ohio State: @ Illinois, Indiana, @ Michigan (UM could beat them, but not likely.)

Florida St: Syracuse, Idaho, @ Florida (They have essentially no chance to lose a game)

:au: Wins Out, we jump :ua:, Stanford, Oregon...

Sorry folks, All in all, even should we win out, I could still see OSU and Fla St playing in the BCS Game.

:ua: & :au: have been holding that Crystal Ball too long not to give a chance to another school.

Baylor: Texas Tech, @ Oklahoma St, @ TCU, Texas. (Seems likely that they could lose one of these games.)

Ohio State: @ Illinois, Indiana, @ Michigan (UM could beat them, but not likely.)

Florida St: Syracuse, Idaho, @ Florida (They have essentially no chance to lose a game)

Sorry folks, All in all, even should we win out, I could still see OSU and Fla St playing in the BCS Game.

:ua: & :au: have been holding that Crystal Ball too long not to give a chance to another school.

You have done a good job in your thinking. Ohio and FSU are the two in Auburns way.

Two thirds of the formula is based on human polls. It is hard to imagine the Harris and Coaches poll jumping Auburn over Ohio State. It is possible in the computer rankings with their schedule, but that would not likely give enough weight to overcome the polls.

This is an important point.

If Auburn beat uga and bammer, the voters would have to move us ahead of bammer.

Then we still have a week BEFORE we play a very tough mizzou or usc team. Both teams could beat us.

Why is that so important?

Because the media wants their beloved tide in the BCS game. They want to set up bammer to push back ahead of stanford if Auburn loses in the SECC game.

So the voter rankings would be:

1. fsu

2. osu

3. Auburn

4. bammer

5. stanford

Schedule strength after a SECC game win pushes us past urban cryer.

All that NEEDS to happen for us to go to the national championship game is for us to take care of our business and baylor to lose.

We need Missouri to keep winning. They/we cannot afford a defeat by them to either Ole Miss or Texas A&M. They need to be ranked as high as possible going into the SEC Championship game. If we can beat a # 25 Georgia, # 1 Alabama and a top 10 Missouri, that should give us the edge for # 2. Let's take it one game at a time. Up next, Georgia. Let's worry about getting our defense toughened up to at least slow down the running game of our opponents.

I don't think this is correct. We want South Carolina in the sec championship. They are already number 10. If they win out they will also be top ten beating Clemson. I think we need mizzou to lose their last two to ole miss and aTm. Those two would help us because ole miss would be ranked and aTm would be higher helping our sos. We need our computer rankings to be higher to overtake an undefeated osu. I think we can overtake them in computers

I think if we win out and Baylor loses the human polls will have fsu at one and osu at two. But the computers will have us at 2 and osu at around 4 or 5

You have forgotten that OSU plays in a conference championship game, likely against Michigan State. If they lose that game and we have wins over 3 top 25 teams in a row including 2 top 10's, one of them being Bama, I certainly think that we can get to the BCSNCG. It isn't by any means a lock, but there is still a chance that we can.

I agree that FSU does not look like it can lose, but I think MSU is good enough to knock Urban off his high horse.

Here's to hoping Auburn keeps winning and let everything else sort itself out. War Eagle!

Here, here. Who would have thought would care about these rankings this year. Amazing.

Here's to hoping Auburn keeps winning and let everything else sort itself out. War Eagle!

Exactly. If we lose, then a lot of brain cells will have died in vain imagining all these what-if scenarios.

That's one option. The other is for USCe to beat Clemson. Right now Mizzou is #9 and USCe is #10 in the BCS standings, so whichever one goes to the SECCG wouldn't make a lot of difference to our SOS unless they both lose.

BTW Roe, there's no reason to underline an entire post. It adds nothing and makes it harder to read.

Archived