Can we please please please fire Barbee?

DyeHardAllTheWay

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn has talent. KT is the best scorer we have had in a while and Tahj has potential to be a decent point guard. If we get a decent coach with the way the SEC is right now, we could probably make the NCAA Tournament. We lose Denson, ADT, and Allen Payne this year because they're seniors, but we keep a lot of young talented players. Auburn has a brand new arena and the students show up for every game. There is potential for a coach to come in and do well in the SEC, so I don't think it will be as hard as most think to get a coach to come to Auburn.

What is Barbee's overall record at Auburn and is it more likely that he will be fired during the season or at the end?

I just looked it up and saw he is 43-66 overall and 12-42 in the SEC. Surely he will at least be gone by the end of the year right?

I know Auburn is a football school and all that but I think if we had a team that could at least compete (and win a few) on a regular basis they would get the support they need. This is just embarrassing.

I've said it for years... just cheat. Pay players. Do whatever it takes. Nothing to gain by not cheating. Auburn has had one good season since Cliff Ellis got canned a decade ago and I'm still baffled Auburn didn't make the tourney that one good year.. Cliff Ellis brought W's and NCAA Tournament appearances. He had some questionable decisions, but he still got W's and had Auburn relevant. What is the worst that happens if you get caught cheating? You get put on probation and don't end up in the tournament? Have scholarships taken away? You might have a few poor seasons? Auburn's record speaks for itself. They are doing more damage by not cheating. So I say do whatever it takes.

Auburn has talent. KT is the best scorer we have had in a while and Tahj has potential to be a decent point guard. If we get a decent coach with the way the SEC is right now, we could probably make the NCAA Tournament. We lose Denson, ADT, and Allen Payne this year because they're seniors, but we keep a lot of young talented players. Auburn has a brand new arena and the students show up for every game. There is potential for a coach to come in and do well in the SEC, so I don't think it will be as hard as most think to get a coach to come to Auburn.

We do not have talent. KT is good and Denson is solid, but other than that we don't have much....Has Auburn put anyone in the NBA since Marquis Daniels, much less even had a player make all-SEC? I know we are a football school but Texas, Florida, Ohio St., LSU, Oregon, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., and others are football schools too and they have or have recently had very competitive basketball programs.

We need a coach that can bring in talent, and can keeps guys on the team. Barbee has not shown he can do either. The big-time basketball programs are the ones with the big-name coaches that can bring in the big-name players. I don't expect us to turn into Kentucky overnight, but we just invested like 96 million in new facilities, let's put them to good use. We need to bring in a big-name guy like Pearl that instantly gives this program some headlines and a jump start. If we bring in another "up and comer" like Barbee or Lebo, it would take at least 4 years for him to maybe do something good. We have no brand equity as a program with any top-tier basketball recruits, so bringing in a no-name coach would still make recruiting a struggle.

There is no reason why we can't be good at basketball just because we are good at football. If we started actually putting a team on the floor that expected to win and make the tournament, then I'm positive the fans would pack out the arena. Go watch a Youtube video of Auburn against Ole Miss in 1999 and tell me that Auburn doesn't care about basketball. We care about Auburn.

I've said it for years... just cheat. Pay players. Do whatever it takes. Nothing to gain by not cheating. Auburn has had one good season since Cliff Ellis got canned a decade ago and I'm still baffled Auburn didn't make the tourney that one good year.. Cliff Ellis brought W's and NCAA Tournament appearances. He had some questionable decisions, but he still got W's and had Auburn relevant. What is the worst that happens if you get caught cheating? You get put on probation and don't end up in the tournament? Have scholarships taken away? You might have a few poor seasons? Auburn's record speaks for itself. They are doing more damage by not cheating. So I say do whatever it takes.

:drink1: :drink1: :drink1: :drink1: :drink1: :drink1: :turkeyday:

We do not have talent. KT is good and Denson is solid, but other than that we don't have much....Has Auburn put anyone in the NBA since Marquis Daniels, much less even had a player make all-SEC? I know we are a football school but Texas, Florida, Ohio St., LSU, Oregon, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., and others are football schools too and they have or have recently had very competitive basketball programs.

We need a coach that can bring in talent, and can keeps guys on the team. Barbee has not shown he can do either. The big-time basketball programs are the ones with the big-name coaches that can bring in the big-name players. I don't expect us to turn into Kentucky overnight, but we just invested like 96 million in new facilities, let's put them to good use. We need to bring in a big-name guy like Pearl that instantly gives this program some headlines and a jump start. If we bring in another "up and comer" like Barbee or Lebo, it would take at least 4 years for him to maybe do something good. We have no brand equity as a program with any top-tier basketball recruits, so bringing in a no-name coach would still make recruiting a struggle.

There is no reason why we can't be good at basketball just because we are good at football. If we started actually putting a team on the floor that expected to win and make the tournament, then I'm positive the fans would pack out the arena. Go watch a Youtube video of Auburn against Ole Miss in 1999 and tell me that Auburn doesn't care about basketball. We care about Auburn.

I didn't mean we have top tier NBA talent like Kentucky. I just meant we have more talent then people give us credit for. We really need a talented big man, but we have some decent guards. We nearly beat the number 7 team in the nation Saturday with no coaching at all. I agree with needing a big name hire. It would be a good investment because I believe Auburn fans will follow a good basketball program.

I have seen that video. The half court lob at the end was AUsome!

We don't need NBA talent to be a good competitive team and we should never judge our talent based on if they make it to the NBA. The NBA is the hardest roster to make in all of professional sports. It is doubtful that we will be able to recruit that type of player to play basketball at AU. We can still recruit talented kids and coach them up. Look at all the mid-major teams that are competitive and win in the tournament. It's about getting a coach that will develop and run a system that works for his talent. Barbee is running the same offense that Calipari is at UK, and the talent levels between us and them is night and day. It's what Calipari ran at Memphis too with Derrick Rose. That dribble drive offense is not very good but it works with extremely gifted players that are only going to be in your system one-two years. It's not working for us and likely never will.

We don't need NBA talent to be a good competitive team and we should never judge our talent based on if they make it to the NBA. The NBA is the hardest roster to make in all of professional sports. It is doubtful that we will be able to recruit that type of player to play basketball at AU. We can still recruit talented kids and coach them up. Look at all the mid-major teams that are competitive and win in the tournament. It's about getting a coach that will develop and run a system that works for his talent. Barbee is running the same offense that Calipari is at UK, and the talent levels between us and them is night and day. It's what Calipari ran at Memphis too with Derrick Rose. That dribble drive offense is not very good but it works with extremely gifted players that are only going to be in your system one-two years. It's not working for us and likely never will.

Thank you a good coach will adjust his system to the talent he has. A good coach plays against a lot of different systems every year and learns from them. Your point about the system Barbee runs is a good system when you have elite talent. Elite talent can dribble penetrate score or dish even against good defenses average talent can't.

Teams with average talent use offensive systems to put their players in a better position to score. The first year I had no problem with Barbee putting in the system he knew best but when it continuously fails he should have adjusted. The fact that he hasn't adjusted means that he was taught one system and has not been able to learn any other system.

We need a new coach badly one who will work with the talent he has and adjust as needed.

Did you copy and paste this from the last 10 season?

Bump.

Jacobs cannot let this continue. Barbee is now the worst basketball coach in the history of AU basketball. His era cannot end one second too soon and his teams are completely unwatchable in critical situations.

Bump.

Jacobs cannot let this continue. Barbee is now the worst basketball coach in the history of AU basketball. His era cannot end one second too soon and his teams are completely unwatchable in critical situations.

I'm pretty sure anyone from this forum could go walk up and down the bench and get the same result (if not better) that Tony Barbee gets.

What is so sad is that the players are playing very hard. If they had some leadership they have been in position to win every SEC game this year. When you get in foul trouble and try a 2-3 zone and it doesn't work then try a different zone like a 2-1-2. But that would require a coach who makes adjustments. Barbee doesn't make adjustments that is why our team loses at the end. We need a new coach and the sooner the better.

Bump.

I'm pretty sure anyone from this forum could go walk up and down the bench and get the same result (if not better) that Tony Barbee gets.

I'd be happy to led us to a loss..and at a much more reasonable rate than the dapper Mr. Barbee currently "earns". :)

Bump.

I'd be happy to led us to a loss..and at a much more reasonable rate than the dapper Mr. Barbee currently "earns". :)

Minimum wage is 7.25, see ya Saturday.

Whole thing is just a mess and I don't know how much longer Jacobs is going to let it go on. I am never the one on the "fire the coach" bandwagon but good grief, we are the joke of the conference and break new records for losing every time they hit the floor. I don't think you make a move during the season but this needs to end when the season is over!

Where is Stat-man when I need him.

Auburn basketball teams..men and women: FG and FT percentage for first 35 minutes of a game....and separate calculation for the last 5 minutes of the game.

It's almost "struck by lightning" rare for an AU team to finish strong in a game.

We can't fire Barbee mid-season in my opinion. We already are dealing with a less than stellar reputation as a job for basketball coaches and firing Barbee mid-season can give the wrong impression to a potential coach. Unless it becomes obvious that Barbee has quit on his on team or is doing something detrimental to the program off the court I think we need to let him finish the season unfortunately.

We can't fire Barbee mid-season in my opinion. We already are dealing with a less than stellar reputation as a job for basketball coaches and firing Barbee mid-season can give the wrong impression to a potential coach. Unless it becomes obvious that Barbee has quit on his on team or is doing something detrimental to the program off the court I think we need to let him finish the season unfortunately.

He does need to finish the season out, no question. Anything else would be distasteful beyond belief. However, his "One more last chance" is this year. JJ needs to be making a list and checking it twice right now, and have Barbee's separation agreement drawn up and dated one day after the team's final game.

I know I say fire him now but in reality if this his last year of the contract, if Auburn just suffers through the end of the year we probably would not owe him a dime.

Good points all around, CTB needs to go but it serves no purpose to make a change at this point. Heck, at least we can say to prospective coaches that we completely fulfilled our end of the contract and gave him an opportunity to succeed. Firing him now does no good imo, but I'd say start the paperwork process or whatever needs to be done and hit the ground running after our certain quick exit from the SEC tourney.

Archived