Can we please please please fire Barbee?

DyeHardAllTheWay

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

get a big name coach and if not make these up comers contract result based. the more you win the more you make.

personaliy up and coming coaches just don't have the experience to deal with auburn basketball.

if AU hadn't just built that multi-million dollar basketball arena, I'd say they ought to just drop the men's basketball program, at least for a couple of years. This has gotten to be ridiculous. There's not a top-name or even middle range name coach who would want to come coach this program. From what I have read on other threads, Chuck Person wouldn't be a candidate because he didn't get his undergraduate degree. I didn't realize the NCAA could dictate to universities who they could spend their money on. I say just drop the program and use the facility for the women's program, volleyball, and concerts. It'll pay for itself in about 50 years.

For some strange reason, a lot of players have jumped ship since Barbee got to Auburn. Can Tony not get along with his own players?

When you dont teach anybody anything and then treat them like crap because they dont do what you want (and nobody knows what that is), people leave. Players are blamed for not following the game plan when it appears there is no game plan except to play streetball. Players want to play for coaches they respect and they serm to have very little for barbie doll.

Interesting though...he can recruit pretty good talent over all....makes one wonder what happens after the kids arrive....not the same guy day in and day out as he is on the recruiting trail? .

if AU hadn't just built that multi-million dollar basketball arena, I'd say they ought to just drop the men's basketball program, at least for a couple of years. This has gotten to be ridiculous. There's not a top-name or even middle range name coach who would want to come coach this program. From what I have read on other threads, Chuck Person wouldn't be a candidate because he didn't get his undergraduate degree. I didn't realize the NCAA could dictate to universities who they could spend their money on. I say just drop the program and use the facility for the women's program, volleyball, and concerts. It'll pay for itself in about 50 years.

I have linked a NYT article, about Rutgers Coach Eddie Jordan, which states the NCAA does not have a requirement for a head coach to hold a bachelor's degree. Possibly Auburn has a requirement concerning a bachelors degree, but job qualifications can always be rewritten.

Relevant quote from the article:

Later Friday, the university said it was “in error” when it reported that Jordan had earned a degree from Rutgers. The university said neither it nor the N.C.A.A. requires a head coach to hold a bachelor’s degree.

For some strange reason, a lot of players have jumped ship since Barbee got to Auburn. Can Tony not get along with his own players?

When you dont teach anybody anything and then treat them like crap because they dont do what you want (and nobody knows what that is), people leave. Players are blamed for not following the game plan when it appears there is no game plan except to play streetball. Players want to play for coaches they respect and they serm to have very little for barbie doll.

Interesting though...he can recruit pretty good talent over all....makes one wonder what happens after the kids arrive....not the same guy day in and day out as he is on the recruiting trail? .

theres no talent we get the bottom of the batch year after year. take your auburn glasses off. we get about the same talent as troy or south alabama or uab

theres no talent we get the bottom of the batch year after year. take your auburn glasses off. we get about the same talent as troy or south alabama or uab

If you check Rivals....we get a bunch of 3 star guys...about the same as Miss State, Ole Miss, Uga., South Carolina or Butler or Colorado and dozens of other schools that get by mostly 3* players and the MAC schools that don't even see many 3* kids. Other than the big 2, few SEC schools get more than a player or two that's even 4*. And check Wichita State...undefeated still with most kids not rated at all.

"Bottom of the batch?" You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The class of 2012 (which I'll attach,) had about the most talent I have ever seen Auburn pull in. You know where they are now? Not Auburn. Barbee ran Johnson, Price, and Greene Jr off. That recruiting class had UNBELIEVABLE talent. Auburn has been good at basketball before, and they can/should be again.

http://espn.go.com/c...id/2/class/2012

Doomed to repeat the past? Who knows? My how things can change in four years.

Didn't Lebo have a hard time getting and keeping players too? Go small as far as coach $. When one earns it then pay him. The other way ain't working.

Didn't Lebo have a hard time getting and keeping players too? Go small as far as coach $. When one earns it then pay him. The other way ain't working.

Most of Lebo's problem with player retention came with losing players that were already there when he came. He didn't lose his own recruits at anything like the rate that Barbee has lost his.

Would everyone want to fire Barbee if somehow this team managed to win out the last games and make it to the NIT? Assuming it is possible for them to get there still...

Would everyone want to fire Barbee if somehow this team managed to win out the last games and make it to the NIT? Assuming it is possible for them to get there still...

For this team do make the NIT they would probably have to win at least 18. If they do that they would be making huge strides and CTB will have earned another year IMO. That's a huge IF though

This team appears to be an improvement. Still not enough if we don't get to some type of postseason, but I'd be for keeping Barbee one more year if we make the NIT.

This team appears to be an improvement. Still not enough if we don't get to some type of postseason, but I'd be for keeping Barbee one more year if we make the NIT.

Agree. NIT is the only thing that should save his job. This is a more talented team than he's had, but I'm still not thrilled with the offensive scheme.

NIT=we're one of the top 116 teams in the country? Big whoop! Not that I think Barbee is capable of winning enough games to get us there. Even if he does, 4th year seniors Payne and Denson will be the big reason. Guess what? There are no 4th year seniors coming behind them, Barbee lost them all to attrition.

Archived