Will we retry the 2 QB system next year?

DyeHardAllTheWay

If we don't, Jeremy basically is gonna be in the same spot as 2013

That means he will be that much more mature and knowledgeable in the offense when he does eventually take the reins. 2 QB systems only create problems 99% of the time.

I hope not. I do believe Johnson will continue to see some playing time but Marshall is the man and has proven his worth.

I think CRL answered this. Unless something major happens, NM will be the starter. JJ said he was happy to be backing NM and learning from him. Anything NM lacks in talent (and that is not much) he makes up in composure. The team thrives on him and that is a major plus. WDE

I hope not. I do believe Johnson will continue to see some playing time but Marshall is the man and has proven his worth.

There is an old axiom that when you have two QBs, you don't have a QB...especially when they have essentially the same talents.

NM is the man next season as long as he is healthy. It's beyond my imagination that a QB that took at team from 3-9 to the BCSC game would not enter the following season as the starter.

JJ likely knows that...and also knows that this program is in great shape and he will have his chance to take a team to the playoff too.

2 qb system will exist in '14 as much as it did in '13. Nada.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/01/nick_is_our_starter_marshall_w.html

PASADENA, California -- Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee doesn't expect a quarterback battle on the Plains in the spring.

ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit reported Monday a battle could be brewing between 13-game starter Nick Marshall and backup Jeremy Johnson during the network's College GameDay show.

"Nick is our starter, our guys believe in him," Lashlee said after Auburn's heartbreaking 34-31 loss to Florida State in the BCS Championship. "We have a lot of confidence in Jeremy Johnson but I don't see any reason for anybody to make something out of nothing."

Herbstreit briefly mentioned a potential battle for the starting job next spring during ESPN's pregame show.

"This spring, Gus Malzahn told me the other day, no matter what happens tonight, there's going to be a battle in the spring between Jeremy Johnson and Nick Marshall," Herbstreit said.

Marshall played one of his better games against Florida State's top-ranked defense, completing 14 of 27 passes for 217 yards and two touchdowns with one interception. He also rushed for 45 yards and a touchdown on 16 attempts against the Seminoles.

"I'm really proud of that young man," Lashlee said. "He got so much better each game. I thought he played brilliantly tonight. The interception he'd like to have back, the ball slipped out of his hand, probably threw it a little late, but, man, he made some big-time throws in big-time moments."

Lashlee and Malzahn have both expressed excitement concerning the prospect of Marshall's second season in the offense.

"It’s going to be a lot of fun," Malzahn said in December.

Malzahn, who just wrapped his eighth year coaching college football, has yet to coach the same starting quarterback in back-to-back years on the college level. He'll get his chance next season with Marshall, who he endorsed in the Heisman Trophy race late in the season.

Johnson was 29-fo-41 passing for six touchdowns and two interceptions as a freshman. He played in six games and started against Western Carolina because of a knee injury to Marshall.

"Watching Nick play, it's amazing," Johnson said last week. "When he's got the ball in his hands, he's unstoppable. He led this team from 3-9 to a national championship. That's pretty tough and he did it in the SEC. Just to watch him play is fun and I support him. He's like an older brother to me. I'm just sitting back and watching and learning."

Marshall finished the season with 3,044 yards of total offense, the third-most in school history. He passed for 1,976 yards and 14 touchdowns with six interceptions, and ran for 1,068 yards and 12 more scores.

I wouldn't say 2 QBs but I expect JJ will get a lot more snaps next year then he did this year and that isn't a bad thing.

I guess I'm the only one who feels that next years team could be virtually unstoppable with a better passing game. Don't get me wrong, I love NM and what he's done for the team, but is there any doubt as to who as the better upside as a pure passer?

I wouldn't say 2 QBs but I expect JJ will get a lot more snaps next year then he did this year and that isn't a bad thing.

I think that will be the case. For one thing, I think Marshall, by then, will be co well versed in the offense that he won't need so many snaps in mop up situations as he did this year. That should allow JJ to get a lot more practical playing time.

By 2015, when JJ looks to be our starting QB, he should have the system down pat.

I guess I'm the only one who feels that next years team could be virtually unstoppable with a better passing game. Don't get me wrong, I love NM and what he's done for the team, but is there any doubt as to who as the better upside as a pure passer?

Just letting you know you're not the only one.

Marshall is a gamer and I'm more than thankful we had him this year...

Don't feel like brewing up a monumental argument, so I'm leaving it at that...

Better passing....that's an assumption IMO....and what about the 1000 yards NM racked up this year...and give up the pressure he puts on defenses that makes the rest of the ground game more dangerous? Surely people don't think JJ is going to run the read-option like Nick ?.

Our offense will be even better next year, and our defense will be better. Putting games away quickly. JJ will get a lot more playing time, and get better and better to lead the team in 2015.

The future is indeed bright. People found out this year that the Tigers are back. Now they will fear them for years to come.

To even begin to have a discussion about this we must answer the first question....

Do you feel that Gus and company can make Nick Marshall a better QB over a full offseason?

I believe that Nick will only get better with his accuracy and timing. Also, the offensive line can only get better from now untill kickoff and if the glue stays together we have a very deadly group of receivers and tight ends.

If my thoughts are correct, why would we need a 2 QB system?

You're definitely not the only one that sees it that way. Gus would love a full arsenal, but he will not rely on anything that he does not have full confidence in. I'm sure that NM's fundamentals and accuracy will be priority #1 this spring.

I agree with the decision Gus will make next year.

Yes. The best quarterback will start against Arkansas.

NM will be a starter hands down.....

JJ will have special packages designed for him and would play for a complete drive rather than a single play....

NM will be a starter hands down.....

JJ will have special packages designed for him and would play for a complete drive rather than a single play....

I feel like your correct on this

http://www.al.com/au...marshall_w.html

PASADENA, California -- Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee doesn't expect a quarterback battle on the Plains in the spring.

ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit reported Monday a battle could be brewing between 13-game starter Nick Marshall and backupJeremy Johnson during the network's College GameDay show.

"Nick is our starter, our guys believe in him," Lashlee said after Auburn's heartbreaking 34-31 loss to Florida State in the BCS Championship. "We have a lot of confidence in Jeremy Johnson but I don't see any reason for anybody to make something out of nothing."

Herbstreit briefly mentioned a potential battle for the starting job next spring during ESPN's pregame show.

"This spring, Gus Malzahn told me the other day, no matter what happens tonight, there's going to be a battle in the spring between Jeremy Johnson and Nick Marshall," Herbstreit said.

Marshall played one of his better games against Florida State's top-ranked defense, completing 14 of 27 passes for 217 yards and two touchdowns with one interception. He also rushed for 45 yards and a touchdown on 16 attempts against the Seminoles.

"I'm really proud of that young man," Lashlee said. "He got so much better each game. I thought he played brilliantly tonight. The interception he'd like to have back, the ball slipped out of his hand, probably threw it a little late, but, man, he made some big-time throws in big-time moments."

Lashlee and Malzahn have both expressed excitement concerning the prospect of Marshall's second season in the offense.

Malzahn, who just wrapped his eighth year coaching college football, has yet to coach the same starting quarterback in back-to-back years on the college level. He'll get his chance next season with Marshall, who he endorsed in the Heisman Trophy race late in the season.

Johnson was 29-fo-41 passing for six touchdowns and two interceptions as a freshman. He played in six games and started against Western Carolina because of a knee injury to Marshall.

"Watching Nick play, it's amazing," Johnson said last week. "When he's got the ball in his hands, he's unstoppable. He led this team from 3-9 to a national championship. That's pretty tough and he did it in the SEC. Just to watch him play is fun and I support him. He's like an older brother to me. I'm just sitting back and watching and learning."

Marshall finished the season with 3,044 yards of total offense, the third-most in school history. He passed for 1,976 yards and 14 touchdowns with six interceptions, and ran for 1,068 yards and 12 more scores.

I should have initiated a thread on this when I suggested it as an extremely likely possibility once JJs RS was blown and Nick got hurt. As I suggested in a separate thread last week (and assuming our WRs become in the off season what this corp will be capable of), dividing the plays between 2 physically different but stylistically similar QBs is NOT unlike Gus because he has always created his O du jour around his existing talent. Our RBs will be solid true, but we may be in the top 10 nationally in WR talent come August so a pass happy (albeit run-first) O with 2 QBs makes sense in many ways. Not least of which is to create yet another wrinkle to worry Ds. The tired old line about 2 QB systems not working needs to be retired along with the defense wins national titles line (because world class offense and just enough defense won it this year).

http://www.al.com/au...marshall_w.html

ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit reported Monday a battle could be brewing between 13-game starter Nick Marshall and backupJeremy Johnson during the network's College GameDay show.

I should have initiated a thread on this when I suggested it as an extremely likely possibility once JJs RS was blown and Nick got hurt. As I suggested in a separate thread last week (and assuming our WRs become in the off season what this corp will be capable of), dividing the plays between 2 physically different but stylistically similar QBs is NOT unlike Gus because he has always created his O du jour around his existing talent. Our RBs will be solid true, but we may be in the top 10 nationally in WR talent come August so a pass happy (albeit run-first) O with 2 QBs makes sense in many ways. Not least of which is to create yet another wrinkle to worry Ds. The tired old line about 2 QB systems not working needs to be retired along with the defense wins national titles line (because world class offense and just enough defense won it this year).

First you need to show us a couple good examples where this works well....Ole Miss or MSU perhaps? Where else? From my observations, coaches change QBs during the normal process of a game when one is not getting the job done...not just to give another kid playing time.

I like that Gus is saying there will be a QB battle, forcing Marshall to improve and fight to keep his starting position. Both he and Johnson will benefit from that. If Marshall can indeed improve his timing and accuracy, I see absolutely no benefit in a two QB system. Marshall is definitely the best runner, and he has the arm strength; with better accuracy/timing there is no good reason to send him to the sideline unless he is having a bad day. I definitely agree with getting Johnson in the game when we have a lead, and would like to see him run the full offense in those situations (rather than just killing clock). It will help him be further prepared for 2015, or having to take over for an injured Marshall.

Archived