Bruce Pearl Discussion

CameronCrazy

shut up. we wll never have a basketball program if we can't get a real coach. we have nothing to lose at all hear. page after page of you hating on pearl. it would be the best hire we have had in awhile at auburn basketball.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

shut up. we wll never have a basketball program if we can't get a real coach. we have nothing to lose at all hear. page after page of you hating on pearl. it would be the best hire we have had in awhile at auburn basketball.

Dude, I'm not the only one that sees Pearl as a no-take for Auburn. Read the whole thread. And yes, we have plenty to lose, not the least of that being our self respect.

While I am very disappointed that Coach Barbee has not been able to turn the program around, if Bruce Pearl is available, we should hire him immediately. Auburn basketball has coded! It is nearly dead. We need a real splash hire!

We hired Ellis, who had a history of playing fast and loose with the rules. It burned us big time. Now some want to hire another coach with a questionable history. You really must like playing with fire.

I don't understand all the concern with the national perception of hiring a "dirty coach"....nationally Auburn is looked at as one of the dirtiest programs, true or not. Its just how it is. So it won't make any type of difference whether we hire Pearl or not. If we hire the cleanest guy in the world Auburn will still have the same perception. If we hire a proven winner with slightly checkered past then people will continue saying that we are dirty. Like they already do. Except we have a greater opportunity to win.

I keep reading these posts that Bruce Pearl (and some others as well) would not be a "good fit" at Auburn. I have asked this before and did not get an answer, so maybe someone will give me an answer this time: What is a "good fit" at Auburn?

In my opinion that would be a coach that appreciates a small town in the South and our conservative alumni base. When I said Pearl would not be a good fit, I think he would not be happy at AU or with our fan base. He would be a fish out of water. He was struggling to fit in even at UT. I think that is what made him desperate and led to his mistakes.

This whole discussion reminds me of when Chizic was nearing his end at AU. Lots of folks wanted to bring back Petrino and the arguments were almost exactly the same. I was in favor of bringing back Petrino. Fortunately I was wrong.

I keep reading these posts that Bruce Pearl (and some others as well) would not be a "good fit" at Auburn. I have asked this before and did not get an answer, so maybe someone will give me an answer this time: What is a "good fit" at Auburn?

In my opinion that would be a coach that appreciates a small town in the South and our conservative alumni base. When I said Pearl would not be a good fit, I think he would not be happy at AU or with our fan base. He would be a fish out of water. He was struggling to fit in even at UT. I think that is what made him desperate and led to his mistakes.

This whole discussion reminds me of when Chizic was nearing his end at AU. Lots of folks wanted to bring back Petrino and the arguments were almost exactly the same. I was in favor of bringing back Petrino. Fortunately I was wrong.

Thank you for your response. I do understand what you're saying about having someone fit in with the conservative alumni base and small-town values and such, but I think it's time for AU to really go against the grain and bring in someone who's going to rally the students, alums, and fans to the program, whether that's Pearl, whom I support, or someone else. I thought AU hit a home run when it hired Jeff Lebo. I thought here is a guy who learned his college basketball from one of the all-time premier coaches ever to grace the BB courts. He played alongside someone many consider to be the greatest ever to play in the NBA (until Lebron retires, I guess). While I do think Lebo was a good coach as far as Xs and Os, he simply was not a good recruiter. Then, here comes Barbee---young, attractive, successful at previous college. I think most of us were fired up about him. He's shown himself to be nothing more than the "flavor of the month." Where does AU go from here? Does AU want that "good fit"---someone who can put together a team that wins more than it loses, and gets the occasional NIT and/or NCAA bid, or does it want to go for the gusto and throw caution to the wind? I think students, alums, and fans want someone who's going to put a winning team on the court, and have guys who enroll as freshman actually stick around until they're seniors, and if good enough, juniors to go into the NBA early. AU's had them before.

Dude, I'm not the only one that sees Pearl as a no-take for Auburn. Read the whole thread. And yes, we have plenty to lose, not the least of that being our self respect.

we have already lost that. auburn basketball is a joke. needs to be shut down. we are losing money probably. no one with any talent wants to play hear period. but hey hire another guy and in a couple years we can have the same discussion again. it is going to take a big name to get any kids with talent to play hear.

Is Knoxville so different from Auburn? Granted its a bigger city, but I imagine our values are the same. They not only accepted Pearl, they embraced him. That's what happens when you win. But this thread is a moot point; Pearl probably isn't desperate enough to come here any way. Sigh

The thing is, Pearl is charismatic. if we start winning all of the past BS will be forgotten. Unlike Petrino who seems to be a jerk 24/7 (or at least has that public perception just from watching him). Pearl has had to sit out of coaching for multiple years. Why is it so far out of the question for some to think that he has maybe, just maybe, learned his lesson? And what's the worst that can happen? Lets say he commits a violation. Well, we will be on probation and the program will suffer, right? LOL we might as well be on probation right now because the results are the same.

I AM NOT SAYING BEING ON PROBATION IS OK, but the current state of Auburn bball is essentially like we are already on probation. So hiring somebody that we know can take Auburn to new heights doesn't seem so bad to me even if he has had a lame violation previously. He made Tennessee men's basketball relevant! And don't give me the 'well, the womens program gives it some sort of bball tradition" garbage. If you think male recruits give a rat's booty about the women's program I have to say you're mistaken. That is like saying our football recruits are choosing us over other schools because of the historically strong swimming program LOL. Back to Pearl, he had Tennessee at a #2 seed under him one year and many strong seedings after that.

Edit: But yes, after that rant I think there will probably a solid 5 better job opportunities than Auburn for Bruce Pearl to look at after this season is over. He certainly will have offers. We can probably throw more money at him than some.

The thing is, Pearl is charismatic. if we start winning all of the past BS will be forgotten. Unlike Petrino who seems to be a jerk 24/7 (or at least has that public perception just from watching him). Pearl has had to sit out of coaching for multiple years. Why is it so far out of the question for some to think that he has maybe, just maybe, learned his lesson? And what's the worst that can happen? Lets say he commits a violation. Well, we will be on probation and the program will suffer, right? LOL we might as well be on probation right now because the results are the same.

I AM NOT SAYING BEING ON PROBATION IS OK, but the current state of Auburn bball is essentially like we are already on probation. So hiring somebody that we know can take Auburn to new heights doesn't seem so bad to me even if he has had a lame violation previously. He made Tennessee men's basketball relevant! And don't give me the 'well, the womens program gives it some sort of bball tradition" garbage. If you think male recruits give a rat's booty about the women's program I have to say you're mistaken. That is like saying our football recruits are choosing us over other schools because of the historically strong swimming program LOL. Back to Pearl, he had Tennessee at a #2 seed under him one year and many strong seedings after that.

Edit: But yes, after that rant I think there will probably a solid 5 better job opportunities than Auburn for Bruce Pearl to look at after this season is over. He certainly will have offers. We can probably throw more money at him than some.

will you still say that when he does it again. Look at the mess he left at Tennessee because of his actions. He will leave Auburn in much the same shape. We have good facilities. I would rather think longer term than the quick hired gun. A part of the problems facing Auburn are tied to the Cliff Ellis tenure. Do we really want to repeat the same mistake?

AU.....I'm not a JJ hater. I know him and think he is a nice guy. I would love to have him as a next door neighbor. But yes I serous that I think JJ is over his head as our AD and needs to be replaced just as much a Barbee does. But I don't think we should fire JJ. I just wish he would retire. JMHO.

JJ is a great Auburn man and an excellent fund raiser. He is a poor AD. If he can just not be responsible with hiring coaches and just raise money I would ok with that.

Pretty clear a basketball committee would be an appropriate solution. Not sure who would led it but I'm sure it could be reasonably effective.

well we had a shot at a good coach and hired Lebo....now his team just beat us...oh and he signed a Mc D all american that is playing right now....I think a committee will be important...

Pretty clear a basketball committee would be an appropriate solution. Not sure who would led it but I'm sure it could be reasonably effective.

John Mengelt, arguably the best basketball player in Auburn history. After his nine-year stint in the NBA he went into the corporate headhunter business and has been highly successful at that. (Corporate headhunter=Executive Search Firm)He knows both basketball and high level job searches and hiring. Though based in Chicago he's been around Auburn quite a bit in recent years. He had a daughter in school here not long ago. I'm not sure if she's still on campus or has graduated.

Mengelt's a no brainer. Then maybe toss in Barkley or Person (not both, they don't like each other). Sonny Smith or some former player with administrative experience would make a good third.

There's no reason to think such a search committee can't be as successful as was the football committee.

John Mengelt, arguably the best basketball player in Auburn history. After his nine-year stint in the NBA he went into the corporate headhunter business and has been highly successful at that. (Corporate headhunter=Executive Search Firm)He knows both basketball and high level job searches and hiring. Though based in Chicago he's been around Auburn quite a bit in recent years. He had a daughter in school here not long ago. I'm not sure if she's still on campus or has graduated.

Mengelt's a no brainer. Then maybe toss in Barkley or Person (not both, they don't like each other). Sonny Smith or some former player with administrative experience would make a good third.

There's no reason to think such a search committee can't be as successful as was the football committee.

I would go with Person over Barkely. I really think he would be better.

I wouldn't want either one, to be honest.

Why all of the Person love? I know he played for us.......but he has never recruited one single player in his life. Recruiting is a huge part of coaching.

I wouldn't want either one, to be honest.

Why all of the Person love? I know he played for us.......but he has never recruited one single player in his life. Recruiting is a huge part of coaching.

I don't know enough about how Person would do. I just know I definitely don't want Barkley. We are talking about a search committee to find a coach not the actual coach. Frankly we are going to be taking a chance with whoever's hired. It is not going to be someone proven in any aspect.

What does recruiting have to do with a search committee? We need people associated with AU who understand basketball, our situation/history, knowledge of how to conduct a search, are up to date on candidates/inside info, and have a common goal to see Auburn succeed. That's it.

Also, I agree with Mikey that Mengelt and Sonny are no-brainers right off the bat.

with Person being a possible candidate... or throw in the fact he was a candidate last time who didn't get the opportunity...

I doubt he'll be on any Auburn University search committee. *Maybe Wesley.. (seal the deal with Jr.)

So we've established that there is a character issue with Bruce Pearl amongst ourselves. That's great for debate. Why is this continuing on with no one taking into consideration other factors, such as: the man doesn't want to coach here, will have offers at more desirable programs, and Auburn *can't afford him? discuss...

IMO this is a pipedream at best for those who are pro on him

with Person being a possible candidate... or throw in the fact he was a candidate last time who didn't get the opportunity...

I doubt he'll be on any Auburn University search committee. *Maybe Wesley.. (seal the deal with Jr.)

So we've established that there is a character issue with Bruce Pearl amongst ourselves. That's great for debate. Why is this continuing on with no one taking into consideration other factors, such as: the man doesn't want to coach here, will have offers at more desirable programs, and Auburn *can't afford him? discuss...

IMO this is a pipedream at best for those who are pro on him

Nice post except I don't agree with the "can't afford him". Our athletic dept. pretty much has enough money to pay for anybody they want. The trouble is, as has been posted before, once a big name successful coach at another major school is making over two million a year money isn't going to be what draws him here.

Unless Auburn has changed its policy or Person has earned his degree he can't be our head coach.

Archived