Bruce Pearl Discussion

CameronCrazy

with Person being a possible candidate... or throw in the fact he was a candidate last time who didn't get the opportunity...

I doubt he'll be on any Auburn University search committee. *Maybe Wesley.. (seal the deal with Jr.)

So we've established that there is a character issue with Bruce Pearl amongst ourselves. That's great for debate. Why is this continuing on with no one taking into consideration other factors, such as: the man doesn't want to coach here, will have offers at more desirable programs, and Auburn *can't afford him? discuss...

IMO this is a pipedream at best for those who are pro on him

Nice post except I don't agree with the "can't afford him". Our athletic dept. pretty much has enough money to pay for anybody they want. The trouble is, as has been posted before, once a big name successful coach at another major school is making over two million a year money isn't going to be what draws him here.

Unless Auburn has changed its policy or Person has earned his degree he can't be our head coach.

Having a degree is an "artificial requirement" and has nothing to do with a person's ability to coach a basketball team. BUT...AU is an educational institution and I guess one could say that having earned a relevant college degree might not determine how successful the Dean of a particular school might be...but you can bet it is a requirement there also.

IMO it's a good policy and sets the proper expectation for the students who play sports at AUburn. And, I don't think anyone is going to waive it for a basketball coach so it's probably not negotiable.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO it's a good policy and sets the proper expectation for the students who play sports at AUburn. And, I don't think anyone is going to waive it for a basketball coach so it's probably not negotiable.

Exactly, it is about setting expectations for our student athletes. If our head coach never finished his degree that is setting a bad example for the students he is coaching. How can he hold them to standards of going to class, making good grades, and progressing towards a degree?

If Chuck really loves coaching then he needs to get his degree.

with Person being a possible candidate... or throw in the fact he was a candidate last time who didn't get the opportunity...

I doubt he'll be on any Auburn University search committee. *Maybe Wesley.. (seal the deal with Jr.)

So we've established that there is a character issue with Bruce Pearl amongst ourselves. That's great for debate. Why is this continuing on with no one taking into consideration other factors, such as: the man doesn't want to coach here, will have offers at more desirable programs, and Auburn *can't afford him? discuss...

IMO this is a pipedream at best for those who are pro on him

Nice post except I don't agree with the "can't afford him". Our athletic dept. pretty much has enough money to pay for anybody they want. The trouble is, as has been posted before, once a big name successful coach at another major school is making over two million a year money isn't going to be what draws him here.

Unless Auburn has changed its policy or Person has earned his degree he can't be our head coach.

Thanks!

I put an asterisk there bc I think the Athletic Dept has a line drawn as to what they are willing to dish out for another HC.

Mens+Womens BBall is making -$1.8 mill per year right now and a Barbee buyout extends that to nearly -$2.6 per year. Add to

that however much more the next HC costs....

If it were football, sure... I think they'd throw whatever they needed to make things happen. Just don't think they have that kind of commitment for roundball. Unknowns play a lot into that. Some of the names floating around in the wishlist board sound great, and throwing $$ at these guys sounds like a great way to lure them in... but most are long past their prime. Are they washed up? Can they duplicate what they did at another school here at AU? I think these are issues holding the program back. It will be very interesting to see how JJ plays this when Barbee is gone. Hope he pulls his stones out instead of gambling on another one of these typical hires. Extending contracts after two seasons and buying out their contract the 3rd or 4th is getting old.

money isn't going to be what draws him here.

Exactly. Auburn is a long way away from being that kind of job.

The leghumpers across the state supposedly want to go after Pearl too.

I saw that today on al.com....looks like the AU loss might have been Grant's downfall. I'm happy for them if they want BP....should fit in well at UAT.

Interesting though that Grant was considered a slam dunk for UAT (like TB at AU) ...and now both of them might exit about the same time. To me, that situation just reinforces my view about coaching basketball at a major SEC football school. Any coach taking a job at AU or UAT should rent, not buy, when he moves to town.

The leghumpers across the state supposedly want to go after Pearl too.

I saw that today on al.com....looks like the AU loss might have been Grant's downfall. I'm happy for them if they want BP....should fit in well at UAT.

Interesting though that Grant was considered a slam dunk for UAT (like TB at AU) ...and now both of them might exit about the same time. To me, that situation just reinforces my view about coaching basketball at a major SEC football school. Any coach taking a job at AU or UAT should rent, not buy, when he moves to town.

Good point. People in Alabama know that basketball season exists just so the football and baseball seasons don't bump into each other.

Call me crazy but I think our BB team would get a lot of support if they could ever win consistantly.

Coach Pearl could make that happen....hire him now!!!

Call me crazy but I think our BB team would get a lot of support if they could ever win consistantly.

Coach Pearl could make that happen....hire him now!!!

+1 on the support with a winning program!

Bruce Pearl should be giving a 2nd chance. I'd like to see Auburn give him that chance.

He'll be given a chance somewhere, it just won't be at Auburn.

That's a shame.

(Just my opinion.)

Bruce Pearl should be giving a 2nd chance. I'd like to see Auburn give him that chance.

That's a shame.

(Just my opinion.)

I Agree....Pearl might bring some heated pub but he would create a lot of excitement...currently, as sad as it is, our BB program seems to be flat lining....also Pearl would also support our women's BB and other sports....I think that he could bring a lot of attention from prospects and our compliance guys could keep a good control on him if needed.....

That's a shame.

(Just my opinion.)

If he kept clean, used a filter on some of the Trooper Taylor actions, & dedicated himself to AU... I say drop $4mill/yr on that investment and give him the keys. I don't think he's interested nor would he stay if he were.

That's a shame.

(Just my opinion.)

If he kept clean, used a filter on some of the Trooper Taylor actions, & dedicated himself to AU... I say drop $4mill/yr on that investment and give him the keys. I don't think he's interested nor would he stay if he were.

I would be ok with him leaving after a few years. I think he would improve out program to a point where another coach with good pedigree could maintain a high level. I really think he could propel AU to a point where it was at UF level.

(Just my opinion. I could be dead wrong, but I think he would really elevate AU BB and invigorate it.)

That's a shame.

(Just my opinion.)

Key phrase being if he kept clean. He hasn't so far in his career what makes anyone think he would now? Sure he'd bring excitement and he would win but by the time he got through we'd be in worse shape than we are now. We'd end up in the NCAA doghouse and then the program would end up going back in the toilet and then the climb back out would be just that much harder, much harder than it is now.

The reasons I'm hearing for hiring Pearl are the same reasons I heard for hiring Petrino. Paraphrased, the story goes: "Our program is in the crapper and hiring this hoodlum is the only way we can get out!"

Gus proved that wasn't true in football and all we have to do is identify the right guy and it won't be true in basketball either. Auburn can and will do better than having to pick up somebody else's garbage.

The reasons I'm hearing for hiring Pearl are the same reasons I heard for hiring Petrino. Paraphrased, the story goes: "Our program is in the crapper and hiring this hoodlum is the only way we can get out!"

Gus proved that wasn't true in football and all we have to do is identify the right guy and it won't be true in basketball either. Auburn can and will do better than having to pick up somebody else's garbage.

I would agree if someone could identify the Gus of AUBB. (???)

I would agree if someone could identify the Gus of AUBB. (???)

I don't know and neither does anyone else. Did we know Gus was going to do this when he was hired. We knew he was a brilliant offensive mind but as a head coach he was still a bit unproven. You are always taking a chance and making educated guesses. Auburn is not going to attract a top level proven coach so JJ and whoever else is involved in selecting a new coach are going to have to do all the due diligence and make the best decision they can on someone they think is the right person.

BP has about .001% chance of being asked to take the AU job...so we can beat the keyboards with justifications but IMO it's a waste of effort....and the Chuck Person thing has less than BP, as does Roy W and the big name coaches at the big name BB programs where their teams draw 15-20,000 for their home games and they don't interrupt their basketball games to make football awards...or where a few visiting football recruits get a bigger ovation than the basketball team.

So back to square one: Who is willing to coach at a school where their sport will ALWAYS be #2? And who is eager enough to build a reputation that he would take over a programs that seems to be circling the toilet bowl for the 3rd time?

And one last question ? What happens if we learn that this AU team has finally figured out how to win after losing some heartbreaking close games...and finishes the season with a strong push and wins most of its remaining SEC games?

BP has about .001% chance of being asked to take the AU job...so we can beat the keyboards with justifications but IMO it's a waste of effort....and the Chuck Person thing has less than BP, as does Roy W and the big name coaches at the big name BB programs where their teams draw 15-20,000 for their home games and they don't interrupt their basketball games to make football awards...or where a few visiting football recruits get a bigger ovation than the basketball team.

So back to square one: Who is willing to coach at a school where their sport will ALWAYS be #2? And who is eager enough to build a reputation that he would take over a programs that seems to be circling the toilet bowl for the 3rd time?

And one last question ? What happens if we learn that this AU team has finally figured out how to win after losing some heartbreaking close games...and finishes the season with a strong push and wins most of its remaining SEC games?

As to who would become the coach, I don't know. Not up to speed on coaches. If this team pulls together and wins like you mentioned, then Barbee gets to stay IMO.

Hopefully this year wont' mirror last year, when, after AU beat Alabama quite handily, they proceeded to go in the tank and lose all the rest of their SEC games---until this year, when they handiliy defeated Alabama. I guess we'll know something today against Georgia. If AU should end the season strong, then I believe Barbee will be back next year. If they do like last year, he's gone. I personally would like to see AU go after Bruce Pearl, despite the problem he created for himself at Tennessee. He's a damn good coach and can redruit better players than what we've seen lately. He's energetic and charismatic. Yes, I read where he cannot do in-home visits until August 2014, but that's where hiring a crackerjack staff comes in to play. And, the recruits can meet with him on campus. Also, some of these posts on Pearl have indicated multiple NCAA issues with him. I did a google search on him and only found the one issue at Tennessee, Can someone please tell me what the other issues were? If not Pearl, then who? An establised coach is not going to come to AU, unless AU were to throw a boatload of money at him. I don't think that's going to happen. An up-and-comer? Isn't that what AU has hired the last two times? I don't know if Pearl would even want to come to AU but wouldn't be surprised at all if he landed in Tuscaloosa (I think Grant's has worn out his welcome there). We might as well keep Barbee because I honestly don't think AU could hire anyone better.

Hopefully this year wont' mirror last year, when, after AU beat Alabama quite handily, they proceeded to go in the tank and lose all the rest of their SEC games---until this year, when they handiliy defeated Alabama. I guess we'll know something today against Georgia. If AU should end the season strong, then I believe Barbee will be back next year. If they do like last year, he's gone. I personally would like to see AU go after Bruce Pearl, despite the problem he created for himself at Tennessee. He's a damn good coach and can redruit better players than what we've seen lately. He's energetic and charismatic. Yes, I read where he cannot do in-home visits until August 2014, but that's where hiring a crackerjack staff comes in to play. And, the recruits can meet with him on campus. Also, some of these posts on Pearl have indicated multiple NCAA issues with him. I did a google search on him and only found the one issue at Tennessee, Can someone please tell me what the other issues were? If not Pearl, then who? An establised coach is not going to come to AU, unless AU were to throw a boatload of money at him. I don't think that's going to happen. An up-and-comer? Isn't that what AU has hired the last two times? I don't know if Pearl would even want to come to AU but wouldn't be surprised at all if he landed in Tuscaloosa (I think Grant's has worn out his welcome there). We might as well keep Barbee because I honestly don't think AU could hire anyone better.

Well one incident involving Pearl dates back to the late 80's He was an asst. coach at Iowa. He was involved in trying to recruit Deon Thomas, who played HS ball in Chicago. Illinois got Thomas to go there. Pearl then recorded a phone call he made to Thomas trying to get him to admit Illinois gave him money to go there. The whole thing was a bloody mess. It really does not speak well for who he is.

Archived