2015 4* ATH Torrance Gibson (Ohio State signee)

ellitor

Let me steer this ship back on course. To answer a question from a day or two ago.

If we are talking about QB's, Locksley and Francois are far ahead of Gibson at this point. Gibson is by far the best athlete of the three. Not even close. I have evolved my opinion over the weekend however. And I would actually prefer to sign Gibson. I think we will be set at QB with JJ/White/Queen. But were TG able to develop to the point he was able to outplay any of the three, OMG at all the points we would score. We are in a position to where we can make this work for us either way. If he isn't a QB, we are stuck with a Top 5 Draft Pick at WR. Oh the horror....

You make a good argument for TG!

Those afraid of signing TG because his QBing is a little raw reminds me of Borges passing on Cam for similar reasons.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus thinks that Gibson is a taller version of Nick Marhall. And we saw what Marshall was able to do last year. Just think of Gus having Gibson under his wing, redshirting then playing in year three. BOOM.

Let me steer this ship back on course. To answer a question from a day or two ago.

If we are talking about QB's, Locksley and Francois are far ahead of Gibson at this point. Gibson is by far the best athlete of the three. Not even close. I have evolved my opinion over the weekend however. And I would actually prefer to sign Gibson. I think we will be set at QB with JJ/White/Queen. But were TG able to develop to the point he was able to outplay any of the three, OMG at all the points we would score. We are in a position to where we can make this work for us either way. If he isn't a QB, we are stuck with a Top 5 Draft Pick at WR. Oh the horror....

This is exactly the way I look at it. We've got 2 guys in Johnson and White who appear to be very capable QBs waiting in the wings. We've got a strong commitment from Queen, who I think could turn out to be a great QB at the college level. Gibson, by all accounts, is one of the best overall athletes in this class. If he doesn't turn out to be a great QB and has to switch positions, so be it. It won't break the team. If he reaches his true potential....watch out.

I'm with these guys.

I'll add: we've had 4 "dual threat" guys since 2008. Two of them were raw passers but strong runners, and two of them were the opposite. Two of them were successful, and two of them were not. I'm sure there are a ton of variables at play, but I wonder if Gus isn't thinking, "I can coach a guy up on his passing, but I can't turn him into a 5* athlete."

This is exactly the way I look at it. We've got 2 guys in Johnson and White who appear to be very capable QBs waiting in the wings. We've got a strong commitment from Queen, who I think could turn out to be a great QB at the college level. Gibson, by all accounts, is one of the best overall athletes in this class. If he doesn't turn out to be a great QB and has to switch positions, so be it. It won't break the team. If he reaches his true potential....watch out.

I'm with these guys.

I'll add: we've had 4 "dual threat" guys since 2008. Two of them were raw passers but strong runners, and two of them were the opposite. Two of them were successful, and two of them were not. I'm sure there are a ton of variables at play, but I wonder if Gus isn't thinking, "I can coach a guy up on his passing, but I can't turn him into a 5* athlete."

Exactly Gus' thought process IMO

I'm with these guys.

I'll add: we've had 4 "dual threat" guys since 2008. Two of them were raw passers but strong runners, and two of them were the opposite. Two of them were successful, and two of them were not.

Cam, Khiel, Nick, and who is the 4th? Kodi was a DT guy, along with JWall.

I'm with these guys.

I'll add: we've had 4 "dual threat" guys since 2008. Two of them were raw passers but strong runners, and two of them were the opposite. Two of them were successful, and two of them were not.

Kodi is who I was thinking of. I've never thought of Wallace as a dual threat guy. Unfortunately for him, the offense he actually got to start in didn't even allow him to be a single threat guy (ditto for the other unfortunate souls who served under Loeffler).

I'm with these guys.

Kodi is who I was thinking of. I've never thought of Wallace as a dual threat guy. Unfortunately for him, the offense he actually got to start in didn't even allow him to be a single threat guy (ditto for the other unfortunate souls who served under Loeffler).

Very true. But all 4 recruiting sites had Wallace as a DT guy. Regardless, he went through a lot his first year at AU! I still think he should go to WR, since he played some in high school.

But all 4 recruiting sites had Wallace as a DT guy. Regardless, he went through a lot his first year at AU! I still think he should go to WR, since he played some in high school.

Ahh, did not know that. Thanks for setting me straight.

It would be great to see him on the field at another position. I suppose he's got QB3 locked up- and himself locked in- for this season, but maybe with JJ, White, TQ and whoever the other guys ends up being on campus his senior year, he'll have the freedom to change positions. WDJW!

Gibson position debate, ATH or QB Link

The question in the minds of recruiting analysts and some college coaching staffs is- what position fits Gibson best at the next level? He’s a quarterback in high school, but certainly has the gifts to play at a high level elsewhere. 

Five-star Torrance Gibson- athlete or quarterback?

Barton Simmons

“I think the key to Gibson’s label as an athlete is the idea that ‘athlete’ includes the quarterback position.

"By labeling him an athlete, I don’t think we’re excluding his ability to play the quarterback position in college in the right system. We’re just including all the other possible positions he can project to, like wide receiver.

“If we rank Gibson strictly as a quarterback, I’m not sure we can rank him as a five-star based on what he’s put on tape. But when you allow yourself some wiggle room to change positions if quarterback doesn’t work out, that’s when Gibson becomes a really unique player. We’ve used the same concept in this class with players like Jauan Jennings and Kai Locksley, both four-stars in the Top247 that want to be quarterbacks first.

“With Gibson specifically, if he wants to be thought of strictly as a quarterback, he had a chance to prove it this spring and really dedicate himself to the position. He passed on a few opportunities to do that, opting to play wide receiver at a few events rather than work on his game as a passer or prove himself there. That is, I think, one of several reasons why all the major programs chasing Gibson are securing a second quarterback, just in case things don’t work out under center.

"So list him as a quarterback? That’s fine with me. He’s a darn good one. A four-star in fact. But he’s a five-star athlete.”

Ryan Bartow

“Here are the top five (six) reasons why I think Gibson should be projected as a quarterback...”

1. Because that’s where his heart is- You get more out of a player when he’s at a position that he wants to be at. A lot of high school teams put their best athlete at quarterback so he can touch the ball on every play. But sometimes, that athlete winds up elsewhere on the next level - at cornerback, receiver, whatever. That indeed does fit in this instance. He is the best athlete on his team filled with great talent. But he’s also their best quarterback. He’s running an offense at the high school level that many teams run to win big in today’s college game, and doing what it takes in terms to win at the position. The name of the game: winning.

2. Upside - He’s only played the quarterback position one year. Ever. It’s the game’s most difficult position and Gibson threw for 1,864 yards and 19 touchdowns while rushing for 1,032 yards and 10 touchdowns leading his team to a state championship. In year one of ever playing the spot. And he’s playing in Florida, the state that produces that most Division I talent in America and in Broward County, one of the most loaded counties in the that state and nationally in terms of speed and talent. That’s why everyone in America recruits there. He’s going up against super talent week in and week out and knocking it out out of the park in his first try at the position. All of his mechanical, physical and mental development at the position lies ahead of him in the years down the road. He’s just scratched the surface at the position.

3. Has the Goods - Size. 6-foot-4, 210-pounds with a frame to add 20+ pounds easy. Check. Speed. Runs a sub 4.4. Check. Live Arm. Check. Touch. Check the film. All of the things a major college recruiter evaluates when looking for a dual-threat quarterback Gibson checks off on. Already. In one year at the spot. Hence, why he raked in 30 plus offers.

4. Does it when it counts - The questions if he can play QB on the next level lurked mostly when further evaluations came this spring. At non-contact, unpadded camps. When he’s throwing against no rush (unlike game like situations), to a brand new set of receivers, in the off-season, in unfavorable conditions. Not exactly a true, authentic evaluation stage for a dual-threat QB is it? Flip on the film. See what he does on Friday nights against the nation’s best talent? When it matters. The film is scary good.

5a. Fits today's college game - In the 70s and 80s many programs won big running the option. The likes of Oklahoma, Alabama, Nebraska, Texas and others rolled up championships and wins led by a running quarterback. Want to know what the new, modern day option is? The zone-read. Rich Rod got it hot and cooking in the mid 90s. Now almost everyone runs some element nationwide. Its arguably the hardest play for defenses to stop in the college game and has been for years. Shoot, Auburn ran it all the way to a National Championship a few years ago and almost did again last season. Oregon, Texas with Vince Young, West Virginia, Ohio State, Florida and others, the list goes on and on, have won and won big when they’ve incorporated a primary element of the zone-read. Clemson, South Carolina, UCLA, Arizona State and others have seen an increase in their recent win totals with the addition of the concept. Case in point. Auburn wins a National Title with dual-threat quarterback Cam Newton. Two years later, they dump what won and go back to a pro-style scheme. Gets them fired as they tried to fit a triangle into a square personnel-wise. Same thing everyone’s seeing in Gainesville, Fla., right now. They won big under Urban Meyer running the spread option. New regime comes in and tries to run a pro-style attack. The results plundered. Why sway from what works? Having a quarterback that can make plays with not only his arm but also his feet in a scheme with spread principles has been en vogue in the college game for a while now. Its what it is helping win in many places that don’t have elite pro-style personnel (Alabama, Florida State and LSU being the lone places that consistently do). What do you need to make that happen if you’re 95-percent of the rest of the country? How about a guy with ideal size, freaky speed and arm strength that can run that zone-read in for up-tempo offense? There’s one in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. right now. Name is Gibson.

5b. Comes Prepared - Gibson is blessed to be on a staff with not only one of the state of Florida’s top high school offensive coordinators in Mario Perez, but also with one loaded with ex-NFL talent. Head coach Mike Rumph and assistants Oronde Gadsen and Patrick Surtain are also on staff. Gibson gets to practice daily and soak in their knowledge like a sponge. Perez wisely incorporates a zone-read, shotgun spread scheme that tailors to his quarterback’s strength and skill set. The loaded staff can get their signal caller on the board and in the film room and point out what he will see from the defenses and how to attack them. Its immeasurable and even more importantly helps the transition for how he’ll learn on the next level.

Bottom line: It’s a great era in college football to be a dual-threat quarterback. Everyone wants one, in some form or another. Why not get one with an ideal frame, speed, arm strength and upside? Why not run a spread offense that incorporates the zone-read that goes no huddle, no mercy? Everyone else seems to be catching on. Hand the keys to TGibson and let him run the show. I know Auburn, Tennessee and Ohio State sure hope they can.

Other takes

“I’m not sure he’s a quarterback. I like him better as a wide receiver. But that might be sour grapes because I know we’re not getting him. I sure hope we don’t have to play against him,” - an ACC assistant

“He’s the real damn deal,” - an SEC assistant

“Oh my God, he’s like a 6-4 Michael Vick. Left-handed, can fly and can sling it,” - an SEC assistant 

“I wasn’t too worried when he didn’t show up for his visit because I think he’s a wide receiver anyway,” - an SEC assistant

“He’s No. 1 on our board at quarterback,”- a B1G assistant

Forgive my ignorance, but I was unaware that he only has 1 year of playing QB under his belt EVER as the article by Ellitor points out. This makes me think he can be scary good at QB if he allows himself to be coached up for a few years before taking control of the offense.

Forgive my ignorance, but I was unaware that he only has 1 year of playing QB under his belt EVER as the article by Ellitor points out. This makes me think he can be scary good at QB if he allows himself to be coached up for a few years before taking control of the offense.

Yeah, great info from ellitor. And you're right, that makes you wonder what Gus could do w/ the kid.

Pretty sure I posted before E , but whatever... lol

You did not post the article.lol. I had already copied out the boring stuff before I came over to AUF so I just created a new post instead of editing yours since that was easiest. There are a number of people on message boards everywhere who don't want to or like to click links so you might as well paste the articles you link in the future.

You did not post the article.lol. I had already copied out the boring stuff before I came over to AUF so I just created a new post instead of editing yours since that was easiest. There are a number of people on message boards everywhere who don't want to or like to click links so you might as well paste the articles you link in the future.

Just to let you both know I knew about it but wasn't allowed to say anything about it until it became public...........let you know after national signing day. ;)

Just to let you both know I knew about it but wasn't allowed to say anything about it until it became public...........let you know after national signing day. ;)

I knew you knew and that E didn't know, but Dixie wouldn't let me say anything.

>:(

You seeing what I'm seeing and you saying. :poke:

Bingo. I try to click the links every now and then to give traffic to the content providers, but when I'm skimming a thread and I see a post with a link followed by a post with a ton of content, my eyes are going straight to the content.

Thanks to both of you for sharing that piece.

You seeing what I'm seeing and you saying. :poke:

:cheers:

I read some UT recruiting threads today and they are scared to death of AU taking Gibson from them. From what I read, UT does not have a backup plan for Gibson that is leaning their way.

Some were saying they hoped that Kai L. committed to us soon so they had an easier chance of pulling Gibson in.

I read some UT recruiting threads today and they are scared to death of AU taking Gibson from them. From what I read, UT does not have a backup plan for Gibson that is leaning their way.

Some were saying they hoped that Kai L. committed to us soon so they had an easier chance of pulling Gibson in.

I would guess that nothing is going to make their chances better with Gibson so long as Auburn is actively recruiting him...

AU leads the CB predictions for TG.

AU=45%

OSU=25%

UT=20%

Miami/LSU=other 10%

Archived