***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I agree. I honestly do not like the idea of having our QBs take unnecessary hits, even if they are built for it, such as Cam.

If Stidham signs, we will figure out pretty quickly what Stidham is capable of. Marshall and other little guys like Manziel and Lamar Jackson were able to relatively avoid the big injuries because they had the innate abilities to avoid the big hits. They also had enough pocket presence and escapability to avoid injuries in the pocket as well. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

If Stidham signs, we will figure out pretty quickly what Stidham is capable of. Marshall and other little guys like Manziel and Lamar Jackson were able to relatively avoid the big injuries because they had the innate abilities to avoid the big hits. They also had enough pocket presence and escapability to avoid injuries in the pocket as well. 

Yep. I am interested in seeing how CGM will utilize him. If we get him of course...

Just now, DAG said:

Yep. I am interested in seeing how CGM will utilize him. If we get him of course...

Yep. If he picks TAM everybody here will about-face and minimize the loss. Until then, "this could be Gus's job" and he is the most important recruit since Cam Newton. 

• Like 1

Kinda new to the posting. Been reading long time tho and try like hell to follow as closely poss to recruiting.  After the visit are our chances of landing js any better?  Someone with more knowledge than me give me some insight?

4 minutes ago, AUTigereyez said:

Kinda new to the posting. Been reading long time tho and try like hell to follow as closely poss to recruiting.  After the visit are our chances of landing js any better?  Someone with more knowledge than me give me some insight?

Looking better then a few weeks ago nothing is 100% in recruiting until they show up on campus. Post more

2 minutes ago, AUTigereyez said:

Thanks golf.  I really like this kid.  Looks poised in the pocket and also looks very very confident in his throws.  

Totally agree the kid has all the making of a really good QB just have to let things work out. I hope they do 

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Totally agree the kid has all the making of a really good QB just have to let things work out. I hope they do 

I hope so as well.   I personally hope we get the guy but unless our coaches realize or for lack of better words quit being stubborn and expand the playbook in the passing sense then he will be rendered useless.  I mean I think sw was/is a great qb with pin point accuracy but they chain the guy up.  What's to say they don't do the same to js. 

He could arrive mid December and go through Bowl practice....   that would be a huge advantage for him in trying earn the starting spot next Spring/Fall.  

One of the things I like about Stidham in his highlights is the timing of his passes.   Practicing in December with our WR's could help that timing.  

Edited by The Plainsman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

The last 2 seasons

Either Ive had more whiskey than I realize or 1 JS has a nice quick release and 2 he looks almost effortless throwing the deep ball

• Like 2

So what message is being sent to SW and WB by the coaches? SW you have had 3 years in this offense and WB even though you are a 6' 2" 238 lb redshirt DT QB, we do not believe either of you are capable of being a starter over a guy that has not played in our offense AND is sitting out of college football for a year? Even us as a fan base are basically saying the same thing, look at the 50+ pages on this topic. We still have a bowl game to get ready for and all the forums, sports articles, radio call in shows, during the last 48 hours have been about nothing but Stindham and how bad Auburn needs him to come in and start right away to complete the puzzle piece of this offense. How can Gus and Rhett stand there look SW in the eye while getting ready for the bowl game, the Sugar Bowl maybe and tell him, your the man, we need you, this is a big game and you give us the best chance to win. What about WB, if I were him, I would be straight up asking, so for the last year u have watched me, have not even given me a chance and just want to hand the keys over. Screw u guys.

Hey i got it, SW can't hit the deep ball and is about as fast as Braden Smith. JF3 is jack rabbit quick, is a 45-50% completion passer, is prone to turnovers and probably will transfer if Stindham comes, oh no. WB has the size, speed, arm and a year in the system and has not been able to show anything due to a redshirt. McQueen has been too injured and will probably never be more than a 3rd stringer. Adams, who, Adams the 4th string guy that no one even knows is on the roster. We hope we sign a QB/ATH this recruiting class and we will promise them a shot at QB, which will last 2-3 weeks before we move them to WR or CB.

So yeah it is a dog dodo QB situation. We really could use a real good QB. But I say be careful what you wish for. Anointing Stindham the king of the castle, with the possibility of running some QB's off (well if their afraid of competition we don't need them-sarcasm raised eyebrow) if he is a not an SEC QB, we are gonna have a rough year and be the butt of a lot of jokes, mark my words. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Both

Thanks BB. I was hoping it wasn't due to my enjoyment of this fine American spirit :D

Just now, AlaskanFAN said:

So what message is being sent to SW and WB by the coaches? SW you have had 3 years in this offense and WB even though you are a 6' 2" 238 lb redshirt DT QB, we do not believe either of you are capable of being a starter over a guy that has not played in our offense AND is sitting out of college football for a year? Even us as a fan base are basically saying the same thing, look at the 50+ pages on this topic. We still have a bowl game to get ready for and all the forums, sports articles, radio call in shows, during the last 48 hours have been about nothing but Stindham and how bad Auburn needs him to come in and start right away to complete the puzzle piece of this offense. How can Gus and Rhett stand there look SW in the eye while getting ready for the bowl game, the Sugar Bowl maybe and tell him, your the man, we need you, this is a big game and you give us the best chance to win. What about WB, if I were him, I would be straight up asking, so for the last year u have watched me, have not even given me a chance and just want to hand the keys over. Screw u guys.

Hey i got it, SW can't hit the deep ball and is about as fast as Braden Smith. JF3 is jack rabbit quick, is a 45-50% completion passer, is prone to turnovers and probably will transfer if Stindham comes, oh no. WB has the size, speed, arm and a year in the system and has not been able to show anything due to a redshirt. McQueen has been too injured and will probably never be more than a 3rd stringer. Adams, who, Adams the 4th string guy that no one even knows is on the roster. We hope we sign a QB/ATH this recruiting class and we will promise them a shot at QB, which will last 2-3 weeks before we move them to WR or CB.

So yeah it is a dog dodo QB situation. We really could use a real good QB. But I say be careful what you wish for. Anointing Stindham the king of the castle, with the possibility of running some QB's off (well if their afraid of competition we don't need them-sarcasm raised eyebrow) if he is a not an SEC QB, we are gonna have a rough year and be the butt of a lot of jokes, mark my words. 

Looking at the clips that have been posted, JS is a significantly better QB than anyone we currently have on our roster. That's not a slight to the guys on our roster. There's always someone bigger, better, faster than you. I see it everyday in my job. I don't begrudge people coming in and moving up faster than me, they were simply better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

CGM responsibility is to put this team in the best position to win, win,win. SW responsibility is to do the best in any situation he is put in by the coaches, as well as, being a cordial teammate. If they had the screw you attitude you speak off, I would hope they find another squad to play for. This is college sports and if they want to play in the NFL, this will also be the adversity that comes with being a professional. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Yep. If he picks TAM everybody here will about-face and minimize the loss. Until then, "this could be Gus's job" and he is the most important recruit since Cam Newton. 

Haha Lashlee's as well. Seems to me, he is actually the X factor. Kendall who? Us fans, such a fickle bunch.

44 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

This is the same situation we had last year with the acquisition of JFIII in the off season.  The QBs that were here, SW and JJ, knew competition was coming like it does every year.  It will be up to them to work hard in the spring to earn the trust of Gus, because as we know, if Gus doesn't trust the QB he doesn't see the field.  May the best man win.

50 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

This is the same situation we had last year with the acquisition of JFIII in the off season.  The QBs that were here, SW and JJ, knew competition was coming like it does every year.  It will be up to them to work hard in the spring to earn the trust of Gus, because as we know, if Gus doesn't trust the QB he doesn't see the field.  May the best man win.

I think the message to SW is that he is a really good QB but given his injury concerns and lack of QB depth this is the best possible move for the program.  Gus should then tell him he has a chance to be the best backup in the country. Maybe he will make the all SEC backup team. I am as big of a SW fan as anyone on this board but JS might be Cam level elite and a potential first round pick if Gus doesn't Frick it up.

One weird dynamic to watch, if JS comes and JF3 stays, we've got two true dual threats.......a quasi-dual threat, then SW.

you can't tailor play calling to fit 2 w/ out excluding the other 2's abilities.  Of course, Gus may not be thinking about any of that........just searching for the opportunity to win.

Recruiting Stidham is no different than recruiting the #1 QB in HS.   You always want the best player possible.  And let things work their way out.   

Edited by The Plainsman