aupops2, Friend and Great Auburn Man...

Dixie1860

...has gone on to better things. We will miss you buddy!!

Thomas “Tom” Donald Shuford completed his earthly journey and went to be with the Lord Jan. 29, 2014, following a courageous battle with cancer that took its toll on his health.

He was born and raised in Brevard. His parents, Frances and Clyde Shuford, preceded him in death as did his brother, Ron, of New Tazewell, Tenn.

He is survived by his wife of 11 years, Judy Carter Shuford, of Portland, Tenn .; brother, Bill (Lisa), of Etowah; sons, Brad (Laura) Shuford, of Knoxville, Tenn ., Nicholas (Karen) Shuford, of Chattanooga, Tenn ., and Patrick Shuford, of Franklin, Tenn .; five grandchildren and 16 step-children/grandchildren.

He graduated from Brevard High School in 1961. He was the starting guard on Brevard’s North Carolina State Champion-ship Football Team. He was very active in the Monogram Club, 4-H Club, Key Club, high school annual staff, and a most avid Blue Devil.

He attended Auburn University, graduating in 1965 with a degree in chemical engineering. He was a member of the Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity and was very involved in all aspects of college life. He was so excited with Auburn’s amazing football season this year and their climb to reach the BCS Championship Game.

He began his professional career in the computer software business and later in the brick, ceramic tile and marble industry, serving on numerous industry affiliated state and national committees and as president of the Ceramic Tile Distributors Association. He moved his family to Franklin, Tenn. in 1992.

One of his lasting joys was the birth of his fifth grandchild, Sam Shuford, in November 2013. His beaming smile would light up the entire room as he held baby Sam Shuford.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in Thomas Donald Shuford’s memory to The American Cancer Society.

A private celebration of life will be held soon to scatter his remains in the mountains of his beloved home in Brevard.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW! Really brings things back to perspective! We will miss you, pops. I always enjoyed and respected your insight. WAR EAGLE, my brother, WAR EAGLE!

Thanks for letting us now, Dixie.

Wow...thoughts for the family. I hope up in heaven there's a big orange-and-blue sofa that all the AU Family sits on to watch on Saturdays (and given last season, I'm pretty sure there is).

War Eagle, sir, and safe passages.

Whoa. It is so easy to forget that the crazy AUF names on the other of the keyboard are connected to real people, with real lives, real stories and with real families who love them.

God bless you Tom, your family and your friends!

'Stache

AWWW...no! :wareagle: I LOVE HIM! And I've never met him! His posts have brought me great joy, and I can't wait to meet him one day...on the other side...prayers and blessings for his family! Isaiah 40:31....his faith expressed so beautifully, it is easy to imagine that he knows exactly what eagles wings feel like at last! What a GREAT warrior...and Auburn Man, indeed.

Would anyone be averse to someone setting up a paypal or some such under the AUF name, and then making the requested American Cancer Society donation in all of our names? Seems like the least we could do.

I just want to share a couple quick things about Pops. He reached out to me on a day where he could tell by my post that I was having a rough day. He cheered me up with a PM that I don't even remember what it said, just that he sent it was enough. He also wasn't afraid to tell me if I stepped over the line, which I hate to say he had to do more than once. He loved Auburn and he loved AUF.

Sorry to hear this....did not seem like that long ago he was on line...had no idea this was happening in his life. WE pops

Archived