2015 3* LB Elijah Sullivan (Kansas State signee)

AubTigers

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't LOL at this one. He's a loss. Obviously, the coaches don't think he's much of a loss or they wouldn't have jerked his offer at the 11th hour. However, the guy has been nothing but solid to and for AU since day one.

I'm like 64, we did a Philon Bammer number on Smith. That sucks. If your word isn't any good, what about you is good? That applies to schools as well as individuals. I'm ashamed about this one, ashamed for Auburn.

So why did CeCe & Martez get moved to Rivals the instant they signed with someone else yet this one is still here...

Neither of them was an Auburn commit at the time, Elijah was

I wouldn't LOL at this one. He's a loss. Obviously, the coaches don't think he's much of a loss or they wouldn't have jerked his offer at the 11th hour. However, the guy has been nothing but solid to and for AU since day one.

I'm like 64, we did a Philon Bammer number on Smith. That sucks. If your word isn't any good, what about you is good? That applies to schools as well as individuals. I'm ashamed about this one, ashamed for Auburn.

Hard to argue with any of that.

Absolutely agreed!

Is this what happened? Very sad, if so! I thought we still had slots, and - more importantly - Sullivan had been committed to us for a long time and should have been taken first anyway.

Mikey I couldn't agree with you more. Even if he knew he was getting a grey shirt, and everyone saw the numbers today, before he signed with K State, a flip of Horton and other things, just doesn't seem right for someone who has been true to Auburn for a year now. This just wasn't the best way to handle this situation in my opinion. They took the grey shirt off of the punter, and then wanted to grey shirt a LB (1 of the 3) committed at the time.

Absolutely agreed!

Yeah, even if he was told 2 weeks ago, it still doesn't feel right. It's wrong when they do it and wrong for us too. I sure hope Sullivan has a great career at K St, he'll definitely benefit from the quality of coaching there.

And I do think there is a big difference between a two week notice, and letting them know the day of. I definitely understand everyone's opinion, because I think its ridiculous that schools can pull/change offers on the day of. Rules should protect the player, and not the school. Kids get a lot of criticism for changing their "commitments" and so I also think schools deserve criticism for changing or pulling offers, especially for reasons not stated in the offer, such as bad grades, trouble with the law, etc.

However, I would like to hear the thoughts of someone close to the situation to add some clarity before we disparage our coaching staff. Would love to hear Ellitor chime in.

Might have discussed it with him but I bet he learned for certain in the past day or two....perception is that we waited to see if some other commits came through and then gave him the ultimatum when it looked like we had a full house.

I bet if you check back a couple days he was still on our commit list....otherwise if his name had disappeared, someone would have certainly noticed the omission and mentioned it on this board.

IMO, this was a bad deal and no point in trying to paper it over.

I hate it happened to this young man. From everything I read he seemed to be solid, dead-on recruit. I know it has happened before but it still seems like he was told, thanks, but no thanks. I wish him the best up at K-State.

Lmao at signing the punter and offering this guy a gray shirt

Sullivan is a tweener LB/S who wouldn't have sniffed the field; the punter will compete for a job next season.

Not trying to start an argument, but weren't you making fun of people who were questioning the staff on this kid either because of his size or position?

kind of shocked to see him sign with kstate. good luck to him.

Does anyone know why he was asked to gray shirt?Didn't we have room for him or what?If we had room this not the way to treat this young man.

Does anyone know why he was asked to gray shirt?Didn't we have room for him or what?If we had room this not the way to treat this young man.

Look at 2016... Keion Joyner, Lyndell Wilson, Ben Davis, Jeremiah Moon, Shaq Quarterman, and Tre Lamar... Save room for them.

Help me out. A gray shirt is not the same as pulling a scholarship correct? Is that what happened with Philon or was he also offered a gray shirt?

Pulling the scholarship offer is exactly what a greyshirt is. "Greyshirt" is nothing but a verbal statement to the kid that we can't use you now but if you hang around until next January we'll pick you up if nobody better needs the slot. Neither the kid nor the school is bound by a Greyshirt agreement. It's basically a kiss-off, a sort of "Let 'em down easy" tactic. Few kids that have an option hang around for a year doing nothing.

About that "several weeks notice", I'm not buying it. He took his official visit on the weekend of January 16. The following Monday or Tuesday, the 19th or 20th, there was an article quoted in this thread or the "January 16th visitors" thread about Sullivan. He was very committed, helped us recruit and talked about sitting down with Muschamp and going over our plans for him on defense. I don't think he had much notice, if any.

We had only two slots left when the dust cleared today. I can see the need to have that reserve in case things went very well with us. What I don't see is taking commitments from several other players in recent days and then showing Sullivan the door. We could have backed off one of those uncommitted DB's or the O-line guy, honored Sullivan's offer and still had the two open slots for emergencies.

http://auburn.247spo...-State-35387934

Grey shirt came three weeks ago. Hate it for a guy whose been committed for a year or so.

Good luck at k state

Maybe so, but I find his quoted remarks, very positive, on January 20th, to be very curious for someone that just has his offer jerked.

Look at 2016... Keion Joyner, Lyndell Wilson, Ben Davis, Jeremiah Moon, Shaq Quarterman, and Tre Lamar... Save room for them.

If that is the case then he should have never had a committable offer.I really like Gus and this staff but to me you can't have it both ways.Gus talked about not losing recruits and them being loyal,if they expect our comitts to be loyal then they should be loyal to them.

I see that AU is getting beat up on Yahoo this evening over this issue....giving all the bammers and dawgs a chance to make snarky comments.....which in this case we probably deserve though Saban managed to talk a kid into the same thing and the kid acted as if Satan was doing him a favor. I guess, it's not what you say....but how you say it.

Archived