2015 3* LB Elijah Sullivan (Kansas State signee)

AubTigers

A return to smaller, faster LB's that love to hit and know how to tackle would be a huge improvement. This year's LB is class looking like the best in years. Williams, McBryde, Atkinson, Colbert and Sullivan are committed with Holland still a possible. Lookin' GOOD!

Isn't Colbert going to be a safety for us.

But yes some hitters for sure

Here we go...

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A return to smaller, faster LB's that love to hit and know how to tackle would be a huge improvement. This year's LB is class looking like the best in years. Williams, McBryde, Atkinson, Colbert and Sullivan are committed with Holland still a possible. Lookin' GOOD!

Here we go...

;)

He played linebacker in high school. The recruiting services list him as a linebacker prospect. For all I know he'll wind up playing H-back. (See Cam Toney) but he'll first get his look at linebacker so he's a linebacker signee.

He played linebacker in high school. The recruiting services list him as a linebacker prospect. For all I know he'll wind up playing H-back. (See Cam Toney) but he'll first get his look at linebacker so he's a linebacker signee.

Hey Mikey you remember when we argued about Colbert and him being an LB and Mcbryde?

He'll get his first look at Safety. He's said that for months, and I've read nothing to contradict it. He played Safety at the UA game.

It's still a great signing class of LBs. That position is mentality as much as size. Sullivan seems to have a hitter's game. He's a LB, and I'm glad to have him in the class.

I agree he's going to grow into an LB but he's gonna get his first look at FS/SS. Saying he will def play LB is like saying Eric Smith would be a 1,000 yd rusher for us out of HS bc he was in the ESPN 150 out of HS as an RB.

I agree he's going to grow into an LB but he's gonna get his first look at FS/SS. Saying he will def play LB is like saying Eric Smith would be a 1,000 yd rusher for us out of HS bc he was in the ESPN 150 out of HS as an RB.

Then how can you claim he won't play linebacker when he's been playing linebacker and the services list him as a linebacker? I had this same discussion about Sullivan two weeks ago, now Coach Hothead just finished telling Sullivan he's going to be an inside linebacker. These guys are linebackers until they are moved elsewhere.

Aren't we recruiting him as a safety? And we aren't going to smaller linebackers. Hence the reason why we are trying to sign Cowart, Holland, to go with Williams.

Aren't we recruiting him as a safety? And we aren't going to smaller linebackers. Hence the reason why we are trying to sign Cowart, Holland, to go with Williams.

Read further up this thread and you'll see where just yesterday, Coach Hothead told Elijah Sullivan that he'll be playing Inside Linebacker. Cowart is a DE.

Hey! mcgufan and metafour are right! I would have sworn that Rivals listed Colbert as a linebacker. I do know he played LB in high school. So, I only make three mistakes per year and now I've already used one up and it's only January. Woe is me!

Read further up this thread and you'll see where just yesterday, Coach Hothead told Elijah Sullivan that he'll be playing Inside Linebacker. Cowart is a DE.

Hey! mcgufan and metafour are right! I would have sworn that Rivals listed Colbert as a linebacker. I do know he played LB in high school. So, I only make three mistakes per year and now I've already used one up and it's only January. Woe is me!

Cowart is going to play the "buck". He will line up everywhere. FWIW. But DE is the "listed" position.

LOL!! Record pace there Mikey.

I don't think Elijah Sullivan is size ready for the MLB position in the SEC. Here is my take. He has the full skill set to play MLB. At 6'1" 215 he has the from to add 10-15 lbs of muscle which could happen in a redshirt year. I believe he will redshirt, add the weight, and contribute at MLB as reshirt sophmore. I do believe we will see some use of smaller nickle linebackers in a package but not in the base set.

Cowart, I believe is being recruited as the Buck, which is a buck Lb in the 3-4 and the buck end in the 4-3. The buck end plays in a 2 point stance so it may be safe to say that he will play more of a linebacking/pass rushing role.

Yeah, he's going to be a swing DE/LB. For Muschamp, the base set generally provides a lot of guys with positional flexibility. For example, it's pretty common to line up in an even front, then shift into an odd front where one of your interior linemen is now and edge player. In the best of circumstances, multiple guys can fit multiple demands. The positive is the Elijah Daniel and Monty Adams already have that type of flexibility. It'll be interesting to see how the guys pick up the defense and how the pieces fit.

I won't be surprised to see smaller LBs. If they have s physical style and hold up, speed and quickness on the second level help Muschamp defense.

I don't think Elijah Sullivan is size ready for the MLB position in the SEC. Here is my take. He has the full skill set to play MLB. At 6'1" 215 he has the from to add 10-15 lbs of muscle which could happen in a redshirt year. I believe he will redshirt, add the weight, and contribute at MLB as reshirt sophmore. I do believe we will see some use of smaller nickle linebackers in a package but not in the base set.

Cowart, I believe is being recruited as the Buck, which is a buck Lb in the 3-4 and the buck end in the 4-3. The buck end plays in a 2 point stance so it may be safe to say that he will play more of a linebacking/pass rushing role.

Do you think Sullivan could contribute as a redshirt freshman at all?

The staff has both Colbert and Atkinson committed as safety and/or nickel targets.

I do know he played LB in high school.

He played a swing position not unlike our former "Star" position. Go watch his highlights; he's essentially playing as a Nickel a lot of the time and covering the slot receiver.

The following was from the Under Armour AA practices:

3. Colbert could be a great one- Auburn safety/outside linebacker commit Jordan Colbert (Griffin, Ga.) is tall, has good range and excellent ball skills and displayed that on Tuesday- his first practice. The nation’s No. 13 safety prospect per 247Sports Composite rankings may not end up at outside linebacker as some project him given his range, speed and ball skills. New Tigers defensive coordinator Will Muschamp certainly will find a home for this talented athlete, who (at least from what I saw Tuesday) is underrated.

Do you think Sullivan could contribute as a redshirt freshman at all?

On ST yes. Happy path has Tre Williams, Deshaun Davis, Jeff Holland, Darrell Williams, etc in front of him at the inside LB/MLB position

It is very difficult for a freshman to get PT at Linebacker because there are so many schemes and reads to learn so that you can play with reckless abandon because you know what to do and when to do it.

That said athletic linebacker/safety types are ideal for special teams as they have enough speed to cover and get downfield fast while being big enough to overcome blockers. This kid and Colbert could easily become special team terrors.

Jeff Holland is going to play OLB. You don't bury a guy with his pass rush skills inside. I'd also say that unless a guy in this signing class is all but guaranteed to play as a true freshman (like Byron Cowart would or like Chandler Cox will... even if neither guy starts), then that player isn't "ahead" of any other signee. In other words, Darrell Williams and Elijah Sullivan are very likely to watch the defense from the sideline together in 2015. Neither has an edge.

Note, either guy could be a significant special teams player, but with the experienced returners (McKinzy, Frost, Swain, Garrett, and Williams), both are unlikely to legitimately crack the rotation next year.

The staff has both Colbert and Atkinson committed as safety and/or nickel targets.

So, to date I've been "informed" by different people at different times that Atkinson, Colbert, McBryde and Sullivan have all been recruited to play safety. Now we just took Irvin, who is clearly a safety. Did we agree to sign five guys for the safety position? I think not. Whether some people like it or not, two, three or four of the above are being signed with linebacker in mind. Unless you want to argue for the signing five safeties thing...

So, to date I've been "informed" by different people at different times that Atkinson, Colbert, McBryde and Sullivan have all been recruited to play safety. Now we just took Irvin, who is clearly a safety. Did we agree to sign five guys for the safety position? I think not. Whether some people like it or not, two, three or four of the above are being signed with linebacker in mind. Unless you want to argue for the signing five safeties thing...

Your first sentence was what the old D staff was doing. They were mainly getting threm and then assigning them later to LB safety or star spots.Even then it's off. McBryde was looked at as LB first. Sully and Monty were Star prospects and Colbert was a safety prospect.

You can take it however you like but this next part came straight from the player's mouths this weekend as far as where the new staff projects them.

Sully-ILB

Darrell Williams-ILB

Tim Irvin- Nickel/Safety

Monty-Nickel/Safety

Coilbert- Safety

McBryde-We don't know yet since he could not OV this past weekend

Colbert, Irvin, and Atkinson are the safety/nickels. McBryde should be considered a LB along with Darrell Willams unless Boom decides that he doesn't want McBryde. It was reported this weekend that Auburn wants Elijah Sullivan to be an ILB. I just don't see it. If it comes down to it, I would rather keep McBryde over Sullivan. Especially if we land Holland.

Your first sentence was what the old D staff was doing. They were mainly getting threm and then assigning them later to LB safety or star spots.Even then it's off. McBryde was looked at as LB first. Sully and Monty were Star prospects and Colbert was a safety prospect.

You can take it however you like but this next part came straight from the player's mouths this weekend as far as where the new staff projects them.

Sully-ILB

Darrell Williams-ILB

Tim Irvin- Nickel/Safety

Monty-Nickel/Safety

Coilbert- Safety

McBryde-We don't know yet since he could not OV this past weekend

So, you're saying that McBryde might be the fourth safety signee? I've got this beachfront lot in Idaho that's for sale.... As badly as we need to stock up on linebackers this year (look at 2016), we ain't signing four safeties. Four senior linebackers will play their last for Auburn in 2015. Their replacements need to be on the team this coming year in order to be ready to take over in '16. There's not a one of these guys that can't and won't be looked at for those LB needs. They probably won't all end up at LB but you can bet your britches they'll be looked at with LB in mind.

Colbert, Irvin, and Atkinson are the safety/nickels. McBryde should be considered a LB along with Darrell Willams unless Boom decides that he doesn't want McBryde. It was reported this weekend that Auburn wants Elijah Sullivan to be an ILB. I just don't see it. If it comes down to it, I would rather keep McBryde over Sullivan. Especially if we land Holland.

We want all those guys. There's no choosing one over the other. The onlr reason McBryde didi not OV was his grandfather passing away. He was not asked to delay his OV like Westry was by the staff.

Archived