Bob Bentley....is he AU's next OC ?

AU64

Been reading some very positive things about Bentley elsewhere...and of course he had an amazing HS record prior to arriving at AU. Right now he is "off the field" but gotta wonder how much longer that will last.

Lashlee , IMO, would likely be gone after another powerful offensive performance by AU this season.....and I can't see a guy as young as Alpin coming in as the "OC in waiting" so quickly.

What are people close to the program hearing about BB....and his future at AU?

I don't think Lashlee goes after this season. He will get offers, but like Malzahn he won't jump at the first HC job to come his way. I think we keep him at least through 2015.

When he does leave, Dameyune Craig seems like the logical choice to step in to the OC role. Bentley will be an on-field coach sooner than later, but I don't see him jumping from off-field analyst to OC in one season.

I don't think Lashlee goes after this season. He will get offers, but like Malzahn he won't jump at the first HC job to come his way. I think we keep him at least through 2015.

When he does leave, Dameyune Craig seems like the logical choice to step in to the OC role. Bentley will be an on-field coach sooner than later, but I don't see him jumping from off-field analyst to OC in one season.

I do not see Lashlee leaving for a while. He is still to young IMO. I agree with Craig though. I love the way Lashlee is coaching and am very impressed. I think he will get opportunities down the road.

Why not just enjoy the staff we have NOW and hold this discussion when there is actually something to talk about? This seems counter productive to me.

Why not just enjoy the staff we have NOW and hold this discussion when there is actually something to talk about? This seems counter productive to me.

I would like to see Craig promoted if Gus thinks he is the man for the job. Lashlee to Arkansas year after next when Bielema is run out of town. It would be a balls move for Arkansas to hire such a young guy, but he he really seems like a guy with a bright future and Arkansas will need a creative offensive coach to draw interest from the occasional 4 or 5 star recruit to be relevant.

It's the offseason and we get bored so we start thinking about things to occupy ourselves. It's the same thing every year.

It's the offseason and we get bored so we start thinking about things to occupy ourselves. It's the same thing every year.

Sunshine only. No negative thoughts allowed. You know this people!

Craig to OC and Bentley or Chip Lindsey to Co-OC but Lashlee will be around at Auburn for long time. Maybe 5-10 years.

We won't keep this staff together forever, especially if we're as good as we hope this year. It's not unreasonable to speculate about what might come next, even if it is a little premature. If you have something better to discuss this time of year, feel free to start your own thread and ignore this one.

So let's don't talk about future quarterbacks or running backs ....or...what else should we not talk about?

JMO but I don't see Lashlee being here 5 years ...or even 3. The Gus offense is gaining traction nationally and as one of his top disciples, I bet someone will come along and make Lash an offer he can't (or shouldn't) refuse.

If we continue to have success, other schools will be seeking our coaches...and any smart business is always looking at a succession plan.

So let's don't talk about future quarterbacks or running backs ....or...what else should we not talk about?

JMO but I don't see Lashlee being here 5 years ...or even 3. The Gus offense is gaining traction nationally and as one of his top disciples, I bet someone will come along and make Lash an offer he can't (or shouldn't) refuse.

If we continue to have success, other schools will be seeking our coaches...and any smart business is always looking at a succession plan.

I am sure Lashlee and Gus have discussed his future( Lashlee's) at AU and knowing Gus he definitely has a backup plan. As long as we don't lose Gus a am optimistic about our future

I do not see Lashlee leaving for a while. He is still to young IMO. I agree with Craig though. I love the way Lashlee is coaching and am very impressed. I think he will get opportunities down the road.

There seems to be a trend in recent years where more programs have given younger guys head coaching opportunities. Lashlee spent years as Malzahn's protege, and might be more prepared for an HC gig than people realize. If he is successful with the next crop of QBs (Johnson, Queen, White, etc.), then he might be tempted to try his hand at an AAC, C-USA or Sun Belt program to establish himself.

I am sure Lashlee and Gus have discussed his future( Lashlee's) at AU and knowing Gus he definitely has a backup plan. As long as we don't lose Gus a am optimistic about our future

I feel pretty sure that they have talked about Rhett's future, and I don't think there's anything backup about Malzahn's plan. I think Dameyune Craig has been the planned successor of Lashlee since the day he was hired, and I think Gus wants the absolute best for his protege...and I think it will be sooner rather than later that Lash gets the offer he wants. The question, to me, is more about the caliber of job it will take to get him to leave; if AU is as successful as we all expect this season, he will probably have offers from at least a couple of Sun Belt/Conference USA level schools.

If he wants to jump straight to the big boys' ranks, and to do so at the right kind of school, then he'll probably be here for 3-5 years...but I think it would be smarter for him to go to a second tier team when he gets the right offer, which is likely to come within the next two years.

I think Rhett will be at AU for at least two more years. This coaching staff is on the verge of building a dynasty at AU and the rewards are going to be massive.

I do not think he is in any hurry to leave just to be a Head Coach. One day, of course, but believe he is more than content where he is now.

As long as Gus is our HC, I'm not worried about who the OC is. Let's face facts here, it's not really the same position as it is at most schools . It's all about Gustav and everyone knows it. Not to say no one else plays a role, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. I would foresee a seamless transition if anyone does leave though.

As long as Gus is our HC, I'm not worried about who the OC is. Let's face facts here, it's not really the same position as it is at most schools . It's all about Gustav and eve isryone knows it. Not to say no one else plays a role, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. I would foresee a seamless transition if anyone does leave though.

I agree this is the common perception, and I think this is why Lashlee won't get a good enough offer to leave for at least another year or two. But I also think he does more on this staff than most give him credit for.

Doesn't Bentley already have a job as AL Governor?

A lot of folks on this thread are seriously underselling Rhett Lashlee and what he means to Gus and our program.

Sorry, /threadjack.

Archived