A liberal's "Aw Sh@t" Moment

AFTiger

Liberal Austin homeowners surprised to find they have to pay all the taxes they voted for

POSTED AT 9:31 PM ON JUNE 2, 2014 BY MARY KATHARINE HAM

NIMBY, literally.

“I’m at the breaking point,” said Gretchen Gardner, an Austin artist who bought a 1930s bungalow in the Bouldin neighborhood just south of downtown in 1991 and has watched her property tax bill soar to $8,500 this year.

“It’s not because I don’t like paying taxes,” said Gardner, who attended both meetings. “I have voted for every park, every library, all the school improvements, for light rail, for anything that will make this city better. But now I can’t afford to live here anymore. I’ll protest my appraisal notice, but that’s not enough. Someone needs to step in and address the big picture.”

I’m really just bringing this to your attention for this quote alone. Voting and paying are different endeavors entirely. Often, when one has to pay for the things one has voted to fund, that decision becomes less flippant. This is a comment, less on the specifics of Texas’ or Austin’s tax system than the blaring disconnect between liberals in Austin who are voting for higher taxes and the actual paying of the taxes. Which, as it turns out, is painful, discouraging, and can be a detriment to the fabric of the city.

The Texas Public Policy Foundation offers this on the complexity and salience of Texas property taxes:

In Texas, there are more than 3,900 localities that impose property taxes, including school districts, counties, and special districts. Texas’ property tax burden has grown from approximately 1 percent of value in the early 1980s to nearly 3 percent today.

The rising burden from property tax is worse for the housing-rich but income-poor elderly homeowners. For example, elderly homeowners tend to move more often to reduce their property tax burden, which is an additional cost of owning a home for those who can least afford to move.

Interestingly, another reason voters hate property taxes is because they are more “salient.” A salient tax means that the burden is transparent, easy to understand, and hard to avoid. If paid directly, property taxes are found to be more salient compared with sales taxes applied at checkout or income taxes withheld from a paycheck.

In 2012, the free-market think tank suggested swapping the local property tax for a sales tax:

New research suggests that if Texas eliminates its local property tax system, ranked as the 14th most oppressive in the nation, and instead replaces those lost revenues with an adjusted sales tax, then the ensuing flood of capital investment and business activity could ignite the Texas economy for years to come.

That’s right, just by changing how Texas governments collect public dollars—but not how much they spend—the Legislature can give the economy and people’s wallets a major boost.

By how much, you ask? Our estimates suggest quite a bit.

Either way, I don’t think Gretchen Gardner is ever going to make the connection between her voting pattern and her bill.

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/06/02/liberal-austin-homeowners-surprised-to-find-they-have-to-pay-all-the-taxes-they-voted-for/

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reap what you sow. Enjoy!

Powered by a state with no income tax. Not surprising that local property taxes are high.

I have no issue with my TX property taxes. Would prefer to keep it as it is. If the idiot in the article hasn't got sense enough to know she voted herself out of her home; not my issue. Property taxes are preferable to either Income or Sales taxes which provide the least amount of discretion to the tax payer. I can elect to live in a small place or big place; Austin or Bhuda... my choice on how much tax I want to pay. With income and sales tax; I don't get a choice.

In our TX neighborhood; we've voted down the last 2 property tax measures....we collectively lost it in our neighborhood when the local school started complaining about not having $$; we approved a bond deal and gave incremental $$ to the school. About 2 months after the election and the fundraising; the school broke ground on a football stadium expansion, new astroturf and a jumbo-tron. They can't even get enough people to sign a petition now to propose more taxes. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice......

My biggest problem with property taxes is that it takes property rights away from the supposed property owner. Stop paying the taxes and see what happens to your property. You really never own it.

I have no issue with my TX property taxes. Would prefer to keep it as it is. If the idiot in the article hasn't got sense enough to know she voted herself out of her home; not my issue. Property taxes are preferable to either Income or Sales taxes which provide the least amount of discretion to the tax payer. I can elect to live in a small place or big place; Austin or Bhuda... my choice on how much tax I want to pay. With income and sales tax; I don't get a choice.

In our TX neighborhood; we've voted down the last 2 property tax measures....we collectively lost it in our neighborhood when the local school started complaining about not having $$; we approved a bond deal and gave incremental $$ to the school. About 2 months after the election and the fundraising; the school broke ground on a football stadium expansion, new astroturf and a jumbo-tron. They can't even get enough people to sign a petition now to propose more taxes. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice......

LOL! :laugh:

That sounds "un-Texan" to me. ;)

You guys, and the writer, miss the point. Tax rate increases are likely not the biggest problem-- her property value has gone through the roof in the last 33 years where she lives. She bought in an inexpensive neighborhood that has become very trendy. She can sell, make a killing and move to Buda, but it's frustrating for someone to have to leave their home after 33 years.

Here's a bungalow in that neighborhood that's less than 1,000 sq ft:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1507-Bouldin-Ave-Austin-TX-78704/29322575_zpid/

The estimated value has gone up more than 23k in the last 30 days alone and the appraised value, and taxes based on value, has more than doubled in the last 8 years.

She bought a small, modest home 1/3 of a century ago and now she can't afford to stay. The quote attributed to her is nothing more than understandable human frustration-- and this writer can't wait to deride her in an effort to make a poorly informed political point. Why? Because she supports parks and public schools.

I wish I had her problem. I'd move tomorrow!

Amen. I had a real estate agent approach me and proceed to tell me she had a client interested in buying my home. I let her have it at MY price..cash. This is America and being attached to anything doesn't always make goods business sense. She should sell and enjoy the profits of a good investment.

Amen. I had a real estate agent approach me and proceed to tell me she had a client interested in buying my home. I let her have it at MY price..cash. This is America and being attached to anything doesn't always make goods business sense. She should sell and enjoy the profits of a good investment.

From the right winger who claims it's libruls that tell others how they should live and what they should value. :-\

From the right winger who claims it's libruls that tell others how they should live and what they should value. :-\

Im not telling anyone what to do but somethings make a lot of sense. maybe you'll figure that out one day...maybe

Im not telling anyone what to do but somethings make a lot of sense. maybe you'll figure that out one day...maybe

Again, this lady isn't asking you for anything. She was just quoted being frustrated with the fact that her simple home and life that she has built over 33 years is becoming unsustainable. The writer labels her a "liberal" based on what evidence? That she supports public parks and public schools? Once she's labeled a "liberal," folks like you see her as "less than" and worthy of derision. Based on what? Is there a chapter in the New Testament that I haven't heard of?

You think its your place to tell this woman you've never met what she "should" do. How arrogant. How condescending. How patronizing. What makes sense for someone's pursuit of happiness is a deeply personal decision, isn't it? Isn't that a precept you claim to believe in when it is convenient and when you make broad swipes at "liberals" that want to tell others what to do? It's her home, not a business. She places a value on that above money. You don't. You deride her for being "attached." I doubt she'd fault you if you decided to cash in and sell. But not you. You know what's best for everybody. You've been exposed, once again. You're not a true conservative. Just another angry guy with totalitarian inclinations who wraps his condescension and derision in language about "freedom" when it suits him.

You guys, and the writer, miss the point. Tax rate increases are likely not the biggest problem-- her property value has gone through the roof in the last 33 years where she lives. She bought in an inexpensive neighborhood that has become very trendy. She can sell, make a killing and move to Buda, but it's frustrating for someone to have to leave their home after 33 years.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1507-Bouldin-Ave-Austin-TX-78704/29322575_zpid/

The estimated value has gone up more than 23k in the last 30 days alone and the appraised value, and taxes based on value, has more than doubled in the last 8 years.

She bought a small, modest home 1/3 of a century ago and now she can't afford to stay. The quote attributed to her is nothing more than understandable human frustration-- and this writer can't wait to deride her in an effort to make a poorly informed political point. Why? Because she supports parks and public schools.

Looks like this is a great case against property taxes, which I'm inclined to be against myself. Once again, when you have a property tax, you don't really own it. The government does.

Well, channonc actually has a great point. Texas and Tennessee I believe have no income tax. You cannot enjoy one type of benefit to the max and whine about another.

If you choose to live in TX or TN an pay zero income tax then the normal expectation should be to have to bear higher property taxes. Seems fairly clear tradeoff to me.

Again, this lady isn't asking you for anything. She was just quoted being frustrated with the fact that her simple home and life that she has built over 33 years is becoming unsustainable. The writer labels her a "liberal" based on what evidence? That she supports public parks and public schools? Once she's labeled a "liberal," folks like you see her as "less than" and worthy of derision. Based on what? Is there a chapter in the New Testament that I haven't heard of?

You think its your place to tell this woman you've never met what she "should" do. How arrogant. How condescending. How patronizing. What makes sense for someone's pursuit of happiness is a deeply personal decision, isn't it? Isn't that a precept you claim to believe in when it is convenient and when you make broad swipes at "liberals" that want to tell others what to do? It's her home, not a business. She places a value on that above money. You don't. You deride her for being "attached." I doubt she'd fault you if you decided to cash in and sell. But not you. You know what's best for everybody. You've been exposed, once again. You're not a true conservative. Just another angry guy with totalitarian inclinations who wraps his condescension and derision in language about "freedom" when it suits him.

I was able to form an opinion and I did based on my personal experience. Funny you have a big ass problem with that. I honestly DGAS what the lady does , its none of my business. The thrust of my post was covering a personal experience of mine that worked out in stellar fashion for me and my family. You exposed nothing but your inability to discern reality from ideology. I posted in terms of reality based on personal experience and you're railing on ideologically like all you paternalistic progressives are known for doing.

The irony is beyond hilarious when you call me a totalitarian. Littel buddy that's hysterical stuff right there but, i cant help but feel a bit sorry for you.

One of the great things about America's system is that the states were originally set up as "the laboratories for change" They citizenry enjoys great mobility in this wonderful country and has the freedom of using its feet when faced with oppressive changes. Now, this lady participated in thses changes by voting for the taxes she now finds oppressive to a certain degree. She is fortunate, however, that she does have the ability to do something about it.

It was noted in another post that a home in her neighborhood had appreciated $32Gs in one week thus creating a real bind for her and per property tax situation. Her choices are simple. She can pay the taxes she voted for and quit whining about it OR she can sell her home and use her feet to land in a place where property taxes are more palatable for her. Buying low and selling high is a basic tenet of capitalism but, only in this forum could suggesting the lady sell and enjoy the fruits of a great investment be qualified as totalitarianism. Thats funny stuff!

http://www.zillow.co.../29322575_zpid/

Is Austin really that insane? A 2 bedroom, 1 bath, 922 sq ft house on a postage stamp size lot listed for over a half million? Looks like housing bubble is back...

http://www.zillow.co.../29322575_zpid/

Is Austin really that insane? A 2 bedroom, 1 bath, 922 sq ft house on a postage stamp size lot listed for over a half million? Looks like housing bubble is back...

Yes, central Austin especially.

I am struggling with the pity party. This woman is about to get PAID!

Follow the yellow brick road........... :dunno::headscratch: :$: :bananadance:

Guest NC1406

Who's asking for pity? And, no she's about to PAY.

There should be no pity. She cast votes that led to increased taxes. Actions have conscientious Sometimes there are unintended conscientious. Not sure we can purely attribute her votes to the increased property values but the public investment led to higher property values that priced her out of her own neighborhood. Rather ironic from both political views

There should be no pity. She cast votes that led to increased taxes. Actions have conscientious Sometimes there are unintended conscientious. Not sure we can purely attribute her votes to the increased property values but the public investment led to higher property values that priced her out of her own neighborhood. Rather ironic from both political views

You don't understand the dynamics at play here. The issue is not the tax rate or a couple of votes for schools, etc. There's a ton of money in that town and folks that want to live in that area who will pay ridiculous money for what originated as modest working class houses. Her taxes didn't go up 12% in one year because of any vote she made years ago or the district schools. The exorbitant increases have everything to do with appraisal values. It's an absurd system when an appraiser can cause your taxes to double in 8 years when nothing about your circumstances has changed, at least for the better . I suspect like most folks, her income has been comparatively flat during that period. This should be an issue that is non-partisan but since she's been labeled a liberal, you guys trip over each other to find her at fault.

You don't understand the dynamics at play here. The issue is not the tax rate or a couple of votes for schools, etc. There's a ton of money in that town and folks that want to live in that area who will pay ridiculous money for what originated as modest working class houses. Her taxes didn't go up 12% in one year because of any vote she made years ago or the district schools. The exorbitant increases have everything to do with appraisal values. It's an absurd system when an appraiser can cause your taxes to double in 8 years when nothing about your circumstances has changed, at least for the better . I suspect like most folks, her income has been comparatively flat during that period. This should be an issue that is non-partisan but since she's been labeled a liberal, you guys trip over each other to find her at fault.

Her property value skyrocketed and now she will be rich! It is the American dream! Live it!

Archived