2013 4* S Tray Matthews (Georgia signee & transferred to AU)

Rednilla

Here's the artilce (I think it was free, if not erase):

Some have thought it possible that Newnan (Ga.) safety Tray Matthews, a Georgia commit, and his close friend, five-star linebacker Reuben Foster, an Alabama commit, would ultimately opt to play together in college.

Tray Matthews at Newnan

(Photo illustration by Dawgs247)

According to Matthews, that possibility is becoming more of a certainty.

“It is a great chance. It is a 100 percent chance," Matthews said. "I already know that for a fact we are going to play together. We already know where we are going to go.”

Matthews and Foster have kept message boards abuzz over the last few months, openly recruiting each other during media interviews.

In addition, there has been a lot of talk about a group of Alvin Kamara, Shaq Wiggins, Matthews and Foster -- all close friends and high-profile 2013 prospects -- playing together as well in college.

“Shaq is definetly going to be my cornerback on my side,” Matthews said. "Basically wherever we go (Foster and Matthews), they are coming with us.”

It may not be too much longer before fans of several schools know the final verdict for Matthews and Foster.

“We have talked, and we are going to come out and let people know before our first game of the season where we are going,” he said.

Matthews has been committed to Georgia since last August, but he recently took a visit to Auburn, and he says he will be going back soon and bringing his father with him. Foster and Matthews then are both planning to attend DawgNight in Athens together, according to Matthews.

Despite others visits, Matthews says he is still committed to Georgia.

“I am just taking things one step at a time, but I am still committed to Georgia,” he said. "Georgia coaches are telling me they love me and they still want me there, and I can play early there too.”

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Article on 247: Matthews says it is 100% that he and Foster play together and they will announce where that is before their first game. Who knows.

Why would THEY be announcing if Tray is staying at UGA?

"I'd like to announce my commitment to Georgia"..... (yup, we knew that already)

Article on 247: Matthews says it is 100% that he and Foster play together and they will announce where that is before their first game. Who knows.

"I'd like to announce my commitment to Georgia"..... (yup, we knew that already)

Very good point^^

Here's the artilce (I think it was free, if not erase):

Some have thought it possible that Newnan (Ga.) safety Tray Matthews, a Georgia commit, and his close friend, five-star linebacker Reuben Foster, an Alabama commit, would ultimately opt to play together in college.

Tray Matthews at Newnan

(Photo illustration by Dawgs247)

According to Matthews, that possibility is becoming more of a certainty.

“It is a great chance. It is a 100 percent chance," Matthews said. "I already know that for a fact we are going to play together. We already know where we are going to go.”

Matthews has been committed to Georgia since last August, but he recently took a visit to Auburn, and he says he will be going back soon and bringing his father with him. Foster and Matthews then are both planning to attend DawgNight in Athens together, according to Matthews.

Despite others visits, Matthews says he is still committed to Georgia.

“I am just taking things one step at a time, but I am still committed to Georgia,” he said. "Georgia coaches are telling me they love me and they still want me there, and I can play early there too.”

With Ruben a constant visitor to Auburn I like our chances.

Very good point^^

Not necessarily.  If they announce as a pair something has to change because Foster is committed to bama and Matthews is committed to Georgia... think 'they' and 'pair'.

Maybe I'm biased - nor do I have any inside info - but from what I've read, the flip to Auburn makes the most sense right now.

But who knows, this is recruiting after all.

KK, you seem optimistic, which warms my heart.  But I could imagine a group declaration that they are all going to Georgia since two of them aren't committed and the other two have sown seeds of doubt.

If Auburn gets these guys, then our coaches must have recruited Kamara completely under the radar.  Kudos to them if they pulled that off.

I think that Foster to AU makes sense... but a package deal with every one of those players, 2 of which are uga commits, is not going to happen IMO because Kamara is not interested in Auburn. If they all want to play together then it might very well be uga.

At this point who knows.

KK, you seem optimistic, which warms my heart.  But I could imagine a group declaration that they are all going to Georgia since two of them aren't committed and the other two have sown seeds of doubt.

If Auburn gets these guys, then our coaches must have recruited Kamara completely under the radar.  Kudos to them if they pulled that off.

You and I posted pretty much the same thing at the same time. It would be a stunner, that is for sure.

This is my question for KK. Are our coaches actively recruiting Kamara and would they take a commitment from him?

This is my question for KK. Are our coaches actively recruiting Kamara and would they take a commitment from him?

nope....not until we know who our first RB is. If we land a bruiser the "scat back" would have to be ELITE for us to take one. Greg Bryant is the only other 200 lb type of back we'd take if we land Green or Wilkins (both over 215 lbs).

Here's what you've got to know, package deals almost NEVER end up how they start off imagining. Heck just look at the "oxford trio" from last year. That fell apart massively.

The article did not say anything about Kamara, I think he may be out of the equation.

The article's author mentions Kamara rumored in a package deal but Natthews never mentioned Kamara. Nice catch,

Tray's quote says wherever we (Foster and Matthews) go, THEY (plural) are going and Shaq will be the corner on his side.

nope....not until we know who our first RB is. If we land a bruiser the "scat back" would have to be ELITE for us to take one. Greg Bryant is the only other 200 lb type of back we'd take if we land Green or Wilkins (both over 215 lbs).

Here's what you've got to know, package deals almost NEVER end up how they start off imagining. Heck just look at the "oxford trio" from last year. That fell apart massively.

Great point. And another example, From Gawga's "dream team" a couple years ago. They landed most of them but missed on Xavier Dickson to Bammer.

A recruiting analyst on another board said this exact same thing about this proposed package deal and he thinks the status quo will reign, with the exception of one possible/probable flip

Guest jojo1515

My gut instinct after reading that article is if the package deal were to happen, it is between us & uga with a 65/35 lean towards uga.  Of course that is based on info from a high profile recruit in an interview.  I have learned to put very little stock in things like this because recruits too often change their mind or just simply like to mess with fans

from what I've heard, we're getting Foster. It now becomes a deal of whether Matthews truly is willing to leave UGA to play with him. That's it. If Matthews comes, then it becomes a matter of are we willing to take Wiggins.

from what I've heard, we're getting Foster. It now becomes a deal of whether Matthews truly is willing to leave UGA to play with him. That's it. If Matthews comes, then it becomes a matter of are we willing to take Wiggins.

^^THIS^^  If you see a visit by Matthews and his father soon, that would mean a higher probability of getting him.  But both Wiggins and Kamara are definitely a stretch.

Let's just pretend that all of this is true and these players decide they want to come to Auburn. We do not have a lot of room. Are we going to turn our back on other positions of need? First come first serve? Or are we going to start doing the uat approach and ask some players to grey shirt?

It is an interesting developement for sure. You can't really turn down the top talent in America if they want to play for you (because you will be fired), but then you can't turn your back on the players already committed (because you will look like a heartless loser - see uat).

gr82b4au, you need to stop worrying about how much room we will have, because if our coaches can sign 29 studs, then we'll get 29 (4 early enrollers). 

Let's just pretend that all of this is true and these players decide they want to come to Auburn. We do not have a lot of room. Are we going to turn our back on other positions of need? First come first serve? Or are we going to start doing the uat approach and ask some players to grey shirt?

It is an interesting developement for sure. You can't really turn down the top talent in America if they want to play for you (because you will be fired), but then you can't turn your back on the players already committed (because you will look like a heartless loser - see uat).

lucky for us, another elite LB is a position of need. We NEED one more safety and one more Guard as well. Other than that this class is all built around improving the overall talent level. We don't lose that much, therefore won't have as many NEEDS. We have a good bit of "wants" though. If we can land another stud DT (Adams) and Foster to go with a good safety, we're set.

Archived