Philip Lutzenkirchen passes away in car accident

alhagan14

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of Phillip's friends from high school and his neighborhood in Marietta works for my husband. The young men in that group of friends are close. Please keep all his friends in your prayers. I know it is a real shock to have someone your own age pass away. My daughter lost a friend in high school and it changed her life in a profound way. I pray that they all will seek to live their lives like Lutz did and be better men because they knew him. And there cannot be enough prayers for his family. God only knows the amount of pain they are going through....

I get more and more sad as the shock wears off. Such a great guy.

As Chizik so appropriately stated, Philip Lutzenkirchen was the kind of kid that every parent would aspire for their kid to be like.

I suspect that 43 will be appropriately honored on the helmets this season. I would hope that the jersey would become a living memorial similar to the Ole Miss 38.

WELL DONE PHILIP, WELL DONE.

As Chizik so appropriately stated, Philip Lutzenkirchen was the kind of kid that every parent would aspire for their kid to be like.

I suspect that 43 will be appropriately honored on the helmets this season. I would hope that the jersey would become a living memorial similar to the Ole Miss 38.

WELL DONE PHILIP, WELL DONE.

How strange for u to mention that, that Ole Miss 38 just so happened to be my cousin and former teammate Chucky Mullins. I'm still hurting over Lutz, and it brings up old wounds for Chucky as well, they were both great competitors and both will be SORELY missed by me! WDE Philip

http://brianpenter.com/r-p-philip/ Awesome piece from his bestfriend, Brian Penter's point of view.

That was fantastic, thank you. I had a roommate my freshman year die in a car wreck, and I still can't imagine what this guy is feeling. My heart goes out to him and to the Lutz's family. I can't look at that twitter pic that his sister sent out of him standing next to her, it's gut-wrenching.

That link is dead, but I found a new one:

@BrianPenter June 30, 2014

Here's a new link to my tribute to Philip, as my personal site has been crashing from the traffic: waka.com/news/montgomer…

Great read. Great man.

I still can't believe he's gone...

+1

Then I start to think of his family... I never met him but admired and adored him from afar like most Auburn fans. If I'm hurting this much from his death, I can only imagine what his family is going through. No parent should out live his/her child...

Nice article in the CLEO/War Eagle Xtra (also in today's Anniston Star) on the impromptu memorial that has sprung up at the crash site where Phillip Lutzenkirchen passed away.

Link and excerpt:

Jg5hJ.AuSt.70.jpg

LAGRANGE, Ga. — In the yard of the Big Springs United Methodist Church, a small makeshift shrine is perched against a large pine tree. Three orange and blue shakers. Two Auburn banners. A pennant from the 2011 BCS national championship game, where top-ranked Auburn beat No. 2 Oregon 22-19, giving the Tigers their first national crown since 1957.

One of the members of that title-winning squad was Philip Lutzenkirchen. It was in his honor that this temporary memorial was erected. Not more than 25 feet away from the large pine tree adorned with Auburn paraphernalia were pink flags and markings noting where a 2006 Chevy Tahoe came to rest early Sunday morning, killing Lutzenkirchen and the driver of the vehicle, Joseph Ian Davis.

Their lives weren’t forgotten. Written on the items propped against the large pine tree were words of condolence and hope. Some contained Bible scriptures — Matthew 5:4 (“Blessed are that they mourn; for they shall be comforted”) and 2 Timothy 4:7 (“I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith”).

Others had memories.

“May you dance ‘the Lutzie’ forever in God’s kingdom,” one message read...

More at the link...

ETA...

If you can read the least two sentences of the full article without something wet getting in your eyes, you're made of sterner stuff than me. Still can't wrap my head around the fact that he's gone. It's just hard to believe a heart that big could ever stop beating.

Tears are streaming down my face...I can't get them off my mind. They were gone too early.

I live relatively close to where the memorial is tonight. We have good friends who were Lutz's neighbors. Is it creepy of us to want to go to the memorial, even though we did not know him? I kind of feel like, if they are having it at a stadium, they expect plenty of strangers. They've asked everyone to wear orange and blue.

The family made it public for a reason. Go show your respects. They raised a son that touched many and it is understood that tons of people are going to be there.

Tears are streaming down my face...I can't get them off my mind. They were gone too early.

I live relatively close to where the memorial is tonight. We have good friends who were Lutz's neighbors. Is it creepy of us to want to go to the memorial, even though we did not know him? I kind of feel like, if they are having it at a stadium, they expect plenty of strangers. They've asked everyone to wear orange and blue.

Open to the public for a reason. Go if you can. I would if I could.

A dear friend of mine passed under very similar circumstances many years ago. I was a pall bearer and the day of his funeral was awful, but when I saw the line of cars stretching around the cemetery, I couldn't help but think, "Man, that's pretty cool." Didn't matter who they were. Won't matter to the Lutzenkirchens, either. They'll appreciate your attendance.

I think we're going. Sounds silly, since I didn't know him, but I think I need some closure. I can't get it off my mind. I think it is because he is my daughter's age and close friends with my husband's coworker. It's just hits very close to home. I'm taking a box of tissues with me!

This weekend I had the pleasure of hanging out with Alabama TE Brian Vogler. I had hungout with him all Thursday night and it wasn't till the very end of the night I found out he played for Alabama. When I saw him the next day I complimented him on his humbleness and he told me that it's something he takes pride in and he told me that lutz had once told him to imagine a kid from the middle of Nebraska and he said lutz told him that if he were to meet that kid from Nebraska the kid would look at him as a big time football play but lutz told him that his goal should be to make the kid from Nebraska feel like the big time football player instead. Brian told me ever since then that's the way he has tried to carry himself. Thought it was a great story of lutz's impact and also a testimate to the character of Brian.

RIP Lutz and good luck this season Brian. I'll be rooting for you.

I think the impact of Philip Lutzenkirchen travels like ripples in a pond. It will go on and on and we will never know how many people whose lives he touched. He was a great guy. I am still thinking of him daily. God be with his family and friends.

Archived