Philip Lutzenkirchen passes away in car accident

alhagan14

Great article by Bruce Feldman on Lutz. So sad. Feel bad for all the families involved. I know what they are going through. I did not know him, but feel like I did in some way. One of the Auburn legends. #43 always. War Eagle.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today has been solemn in this household. We all met and loved Lutz during and after his time as a student athlete at AU. He was an example of what an Auburn man is and if I had a son, I'd want him to turn out like Phillip. It's going to take some time to get over this one.

I am so sorry to hear about the tragic accident he was involved in He represented Auburn well, both on and off the field. My prayers will go out to him and his family.

Maybe it's a knee jerk reaction to today's horrible news but I was thinking we should retire his number? I know there have been many great Auburn men before him that haven't had that honor but I just can't help thinking this. He was/is loved by so many and he was taken so early... Thoughts?

they are letting jalen harris, our new recruit at TE, who was also coached by lutz to wear #43

Link or source?

ahh...sorry about that,know i saw somewhere that it was confirmed but forgot where, more than likely it will happen, they were really close

*sigh* I still cannot believe this........I could imagine how this season was going to be just from the loss in the nc, but now with this, the team is going to be so resilient in getting back to the ship and raising that trophy for big lutz! I know this will sting for a while but just seems like God just couldn't wait any longer for him to be by his side,R.I.P Philip Lutzenkirchen

I never had the chance to actually meet Philip Lutzenkirchen. I just got in and heard the news after midnight. I'm 53 years old and when I read the news stories and thought of Lutz and his family and all that Phillip meant to so many, I found myself with tears streaming down my face. Really taken aback by the depth of my own feelings at this loss. I can't imagine how devastated his family and others close to him must be.

War Eagle, Philip Lutzenkirchen! RIP

Saddened beyond words, praying for his family, they must be crushed in the ultimate nightmare. What no parent should hear, can not imagine their despair.

So sad to hear my prayers to his family May God give you comfort during these difficult times.

Terribly sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Lutzenkirchen and Davis families. Hopefully the others involved will make full recoveries.

If anything can good can come out of this horrible situation it would be for all to learn to wear your seat belts.

Godspeed Phillip

War Eagle Lutz. God called you home for a reason.

“So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.

Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision.

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.”

~ Chief Tecumseh

I am just now seeing this. I am so sad to hear about this. Praying for his family may the Lord console them in theit time of need.

I never had the chance to actually meet Philip Lutzenkirchen. I just got in and heard the news after midnight. I'm 53 years old and when I read the news stories and thought of Lutz and his family and all that Phillip meant to so many, I found myself with tears streaming down my face. Really taken aback by the depth of my own feelings at this loss. I can't imagine how devastated his family and others close to him must be.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Indeed. Not to invoke Orwell, but...nobody deserves to die early, but some deserve it even less than others.

http://brianpenter.com/r-p-philip/ Awesome piece from his bestfriend, Brian Penter's point of view.

That was fantastic, thank you. I had a roommate my freshman year die in a car wreck, and I still can't imagine what this guy is feeling. My heart goes out to him and to the Lutz's family. I can't look at that twitter pic that his sister sent out of him standing next to her, it's gut-wrenching.

Reading the comments on articles about his death, it is beautiful to me how everyone who knew anything about him has only great things to say, regardless of fan base. It says a lot about what a great guy he was that even those outside the Auburn family were in some way touched by how he lived his life, and that many are saying he was their favorite tiger on and off the field. He is gone way too soon

Prayers offered for all affected by this tragedy. May all their souls rest in peace.

In anticipation of some type of memorial/tribute to Lutz at the opening game, it just make the Arky game that much more important.

This is heartbreaking. He was such a class act and deserved better fate than this. This season should be dedicated to Lutz, and his old number should be retired and placed on the helmets of each player. I know the coaching staff and AD will honor this young man and his family. May God give peace and comfort to his family during this horrible time in their lives.

Archived