Philip Lutzenkirchen passes away in car accident

alhagan14

Maybe it's a knee jerk reaction to today's horrible news but I was thinking we should retire his number? I know there have been many great Auburn men before him that haven't had that honor but I just can't help thinking this. He was/is loved by so many and he was taken so early... Thoughts?

I think a better tribute would be to give it to a senior who exemplifies an Auburn Man much in the way Phillip did.

But first there is a commit right now who was very close to Lutz who should be honored with the privilege of wearing #43 for the four years that he will be in Blue and Orange, Jalen Harris. WDE43.

Wow! A much better idea than I had. I still can't believe this happened... 43 forever!!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So sad to hear this news. I am praying for his family and the other families involved. WDE #43!

Our Auburn family has lost a good one. My prayers are out for his family. He was a very good player and an even better person.

Hearing on twitter that some students are meeting at Toomers at 4:30 to roll it in honor of Lutz. Would love to be there but I live too far away.

Not in Auburn, but out for the summer and a bunch of friends on FB who are still there have been trying to organize a meet-up at 4:15 to roll the trees at 4:30. If anyone is close enough to make it, the more the merrier

Maybe it's a knee jerk reaction to today's horrible news but I was thinking we should retire his number? I know there have been many great Auburn men before him that haven't had that honor but I just can't help thinking this. He was/is loved by so many and he was taken so early... Thoughts?

I think a better tribute would be to give it to a senior who exemplifies an Auburn Man much in the way Phillip did.

But first there is a commit right now who was very close to Lutz who should be honored with the privilege of wearing #43 for the four years that he will be in Blue and Orange, Jalen Harris. WDE43.

+1

That sounds like an amazing idea.

As a parent I can't stop thinking about his parents, sisters and the other families. Every parent with teenagers and/or college kids fears getting this phone call and prays they never do. Phillip earned a one way ticket to heaven, but my heart goes out to the families.

Terrible tragedy.

Lutz brought so much joy to the Auburn family and to all of those around him. Was just starting his life as a coach to help others become great men.

This is truly a sad day for the family of one Phillip Lutzenkirchen, the Auburn family, and the High School where he was to begin his coaching career.

Rest in Peace Phillip. You will be sorely missed!

Others have said it already, but I feel like I lost my brother today. I only met Lutz one time, when I got his autograph at the 2010 A-Day game. He was smiling and cutting up with all the fans, and was making sure he signed every item that was thrust at him. Lutz is one of my favorite players of all time, and will always be. I also had the privilege of meeting his mother, who was one of the nurses that helped my mom when she was in the hospital. Mrs. Lutzenkirchen was a wonderful woman, and it was easy to see where Phillip got his faith and attitude on life from.

My prayers go out to the Lutzenkirchen family, as well as the families of the others involved. A tragic loss for so many. Phillip Lutzenkirchen was an inspiration to many people, and will be sorely missed. RIP, Lutz!!! War Damn Lutzy!!!

I had this idea as well earlier today. I feel the man that received coaching, guidance, and mentoring from Phillip himself should have the honor of carrying on his legacy in #43

BrUzYVhCEAE5jBQ.jpg

Perfect ! Just a perfect way to remember him! Still sick to my stomach about this, man.....

Archived