Retire Lutz Number

auburn4ever

Or a season of dedication?

This is what I was thinking. Put his number on the helmets, jerseys, or on the field somewhere.

yeah I wouldn't mind seeing a 43 sticker on everyone's helmet along with a 43 on the 25 yard line

If not retired, I like the idea of a player earning that number through his contributions both on and off the field.

Next season should be a dedication to Lutz, but I think when Jalen Harris comes to Auburn in 2015 he should be able to wear #43 as a tribute.

Do the Lutz dance in his honor after you score a touchdown. I really like the idea of letting Jalen Harris come to Auburn in 2015 and let Jalen be the first person to wear #43 as a tribute Philip.

The folks who around the football program that he played for and who were closer to him than almost any- if not all- of us will put a lot of thought and emotion into honoring him. That will certainly include conversations with his family. We all want Lutz to live on with Auburn, and he will.

So sad. Instead of the color system for practice/workouts it would be cool to achieve the 43 jersey for excellent effort.

Like the days way before my time when the AU players had a number instead of the AU. Except everyone's number would be a blue #43 outlined in orange. Maybe just for the Iron Bowl.

Currently there are 2 players with 43 according to Auburntigers.com Official Football Roster, Spencer Smith SO. TE and Anthony Swain JR. LB. Id like to see them switch #'s and do some sort of dedication to the #43 in honor of LUTZ this season and then establish some sort of "honor to wear" program going forward. But I am sure the administration will come up with a good plan.

I never want to see #43 for Auburn on the field again. It's too painful. Maybe knee jerk, but I'm standing on that for now.

Also I'd be a fan of both 43 yard makers were left unmarked this year.

There will be something done to honor him this season I am sure. I like the idea of someone being given that number because of his work and attitude, sort of like Ole Miss did with Chucky Mullins.

I like the idea of a player being able to earn the privilege of wearing #43, preferably a senior so that a different player wears it each season.

Great minds think alike, cooltigger...Mullins at Ole Miss was exactly who I had in mind as an analogy.

Dunno about retiring Lutz's number, but I would love to see AU set up a Phillip Lutzenkirchen Memorial Scholarship fund and allow donations from the public (alumni, fans, whoever) to fund it. I'd contribute.

Jalen Harris should get it when he comes to campus in 2015 if he wants it, though it may be too painful for him, since he seems to be really shaken by this. After he plays, or if he wants a different #, it should be given to the player who best exemplifies what it means to be an Auburn Man, which is what Lutz should be remembered for even further than his on-field contribution

i have no doubt the athletic dept. will honor lutz in a way will can appreciate. i dont think it will retire 43.

I think it would be better to always have the #43 on the field as a remembrance and tribute.

In 2014, I would like to see the #43 on the helmets or a patch on the jersey. I also think it would be a nice tribute for one of the 2 Senior TEs, Uzomah or Fulse, to wear the #43 if they would want. They could even alternate games wearing the number.

In 2015, I think Jalen should have the #43 if he wants to wear it. Jalen was the first TE Phillip coached, he was the first TE commit that Phillip as coach led to Auburn and it is obvious they were very close. I think Phillip would want it that way.

After Jalen leaves Auburn, some sort of program where the #43 is awarded to a player who has earned it, based on criteria that best represent Phillip, would be a nice tribute and something special just for Phillip.

Maybe name a post season award after him. No way Auburn can retire his number.

Archived