Les Miles responds to Greg McElroy concerning lsu success

AUbritt

LSU fans are like Dawgs ...or bammers for that matter. They think their teams have always been great and most forgot what things were like not that many years ago...back when UTk and ARky were leading their divisions.

Go ahead and run off RIcht....or Les.....I'm good with that.

His last recruiting class was 2004. He left before signing day in 2005. That was Miles' first class. The RS Juniors, Seniors, and RS Seniors on the 2007 team were recruiting by Saban. The true Juniors were part of Miles' first class. Saban's guys on that team included Matt Flynn, Jacob Hester, Early Doucet, Glenn Dorsey, Ali Highsmith, Tyson Jackson, and Chevis Jackson. I think it's fair to say Les' three years with those guys (Flynn and Hester in particular) had a pretty huge role in their development, but they were Saban's last group of signees.

Yes he did leave before NSD in 2005 but in December, only about a month 1/2 before. They may have signed under Miles but those guys were still recruited by Saban and committed to play for him. They couldn't have anticipated he would leave for the pros. So technically Miles first real class was 2006 and all of the upperclassmen where Saban's recruits. On top of all of those people you listed, they were the key players that helped LSU win the NC in '07. So you do have to give him **some** credit for it. Also I do remember when the Pigs and Michigan offered him...7 years ago. Since then nobody else to my knowledge has.

His last recruiting class was 2004. He left before signing day in 2005. That was Miles' first class. The RS Juniors, Seniors, and RS Seniors on the 2007 team were recruiting by Saban. The true Juniors were part of Miles' first class. Saban's guys on that team included Matt Flynn, Jacob Hester, Early Doucet, Glenn Dorsey, Ali Highsmith, Tyson Jackson, and Chevis Jackson. I think it's fair to say Les' three years with those guys (Flynn and Hester in particular) had a pretty huge role in their development, but they were Saban's last group of signees.

Yes he did leave before NSD in 2005 but in December, only about a month 1/2 before. They may have signed under Miles but those guys were still recruited by Saban and committed to play for him. They couldn't have anticipated he would leave for the pros. So technically Miles first real class was 2006 and all of the upperclassmen where Saban's recruits. On top of all of those people you listed, they were the key players that helped LSU win the NC in '07. So you do have to give him **some** credit for it. Also I do remember when the Pigs and Michigan offered him...7 years ago. Since then nobody else to my knowledge has.

A key fact....but IMO, guys like Les have about priced themselves out of the market except for a few select schools. I expect that a good number of schools would like to have Les...but at maybe $2M or so....which is not enough to get him.

It's rare that any of the dozen or so schools looking for new coaches each year can afford to pay $5M to get LM...or anyone else either. Texas was the last job that seemed to have an unlimited budget...and they ended up with Charlie Strong. Was he the second best coach in the US? Basically they could not get NS...so they came to their senses and probably paid a reasonable price for a coach that would take the job.

The primary reason schools like LSU, UGa, Bama, etc. pay such huge salaries is so they can keep their coaches until they don't want him any longer....and meanwhile, the high salaries prevent just about any other school from raiding them.

Basically they could not get NS...so they came to their senses and probably paid a reasonable price for a coach that would take the job.

Arkansas offered him in '13, one year ago. It got him a huge raise. Michigan hired Brady Hoke in '11 after Les passed on the offer. It was a distraction while LSU and bammer were preparing for the bcsnc sugar bowl. , 3years ago.

He's 95-24 (.798) in ten years at LSU. Among coaches with a handful of years (5-6) as the head honcho, Fisher and Shaw have higher winning percentages. Among coaches with ten years or more at their current school, only Saban and Stoops are better.

Until the 21st century dawned in Baton Rouge, LSU did less with more talent than any other program in the country. "Legendary" coach Charlie McClendon won one conference championship there from 1962-1979 (in '70 when they went 9-3). During those years LSU finished in the top 10 of either of the two main polls seven times, played in two Sugar Bowls, two Orange Bowls and two Cotton Bowls. Granted those were some tough years to be in the SEC, but aren't they all?

Les Miles is very fortunate to be in a state that puts out so many D-1 prospects not to mention they border Texas and can also recruit heavy in Florida. He will probably retire at LSU as well. No reason why they shouldn't win 10-11 games every year with the talent they have. It's his boneheaded coaching that causes them to lose games every year.

Les Miles is very fortunate to be in a state that puts out so many D-1 prospects not to mention they border Texas and can also recruit heavy in Florida. He will probably retire at LSU as well. No reason why they shouldn't win 10-11 games every year with the talent they have. It's his boneheaded coaching that causes them to lose games every year.

Les is a character that I'd love to see stay at LSU - Auburn needs to turn the tables and kick their ass a few times to try even the putrid W-L record we've got against them in the last dozen years.

BJ, I gave Saban as much credit as I'll give him. He put in ONE YEAR with the seniors on that 2007 team. He didn't define those guys. He didn't turn them into what they were. He barely played most of them. Les Miles and his staff built those guys up. They enabled those guys to reach their potential. If I'm giving credit, I'll give 60% to the players themselves, 35% to Les and his staff, and 5% to the previous staff.

As for the 2005 class, we just disagree. It's hard work to keep a class together after the prior coach walks out in December. Every guy that signed with LSU in that class had to be recruited there by Les and his guys. That was Les' class 100%, top to bottom.

I wish the guy would leave LSU. I'm tired of his team showing up and out-toughing us and kicking our teeth in. We've beaten the guy twice in nine years. TWICE. LSU was the only SEC to beat Auburn in 2005 and 2013, and they put a 9-win Auburn team to bed in 2007. No coach beats good/great Auburn teams with consistency except Les Miles.

I just don't get how any fan of college football can not like Les Miles. The guy is not only one of the best coaches in the game he is fun to boot. I don't care for the he has been kicking our butts, but that is his job.

I just don't get how any fan of college football can not like Les Miles. The guy is not only one of the best coaches in the game he is fun to boot. I don't care for the he has been kicking our butts, but that is his job.

Gotta agree...people complain about Les and RIcht not getting enough out of their talent...and maybe that's true but both have given AU fits over their coaching careers. As noted, hope a few of their irrational fans are successful in running them off.

BJ, I gave Saban as much credit as I'll give him. He put in ONE YEAR with the seniors on that 2007 team. He didn't define those guys. He didn't turn them into what they were. He barely played most of them. Les Miles and his staff built those guys up. They enabled those guys to reach their potential. If I'm giving credit, I'll give 60% to the players themselves, 35% to Les and his staff, and 5% to the previous staff.

As for the 2005 class, we just disagree. It's hard work to keep a class together after the prior coach walks out in December. Every guy that signed with LSU in that class had to be recruited there by Les and his guys. That was Les' class 100%, top to bottom.

I wish the guy would leave LSU. I'm tired of his team showing up and out-toughing us and kicking our teeth in. We've beaten the guy twice in nine years. TWICE. LSU was the only SEC to beat Auburn in 2005 and 2013, and they put a 9-win Auburn team to bed in 2007. No coach beats good/great Auburn teams with consistency except Les Miles.

Yeah Saban did put that class together but Miles did have to keep it together. At the very least I'd go 50/50.

Now I agree LSU has had our number recently. Idk what it is but John Chavis seems to have these offenses that Gus or TAMU run figured out. Johnny Football was a non factor in both years against them. Who knows maybe that finally changes this year. IMO it's going to be a tough game again this year.

Yeah Saban did put that class together but Miles did have to keep it together. At the very least I'd go 50/50.

Now I agree LSU has had our number recently. Idk what it is but John Chavis seems to have these offenses that Gus or TAMU run figured out. Johnny Football was a non factor in both years against them. Who knows maybe that finally changes this year. IMO it's going to be a tough game again this year.

Chavis tells his DE not to run upfield, keep contain. He puts fast LB on the field to cover ground and trusts his DB in 1 on 1 coverage.

Gus didn't have his own offense figured out by the LSU game last year, so it would be inaccurate to say Chavis had it figured out. I look forward to seeing what this offense can do in Year 2.

Archived