Can this trend continue?

I've always thought if your qb can run, your rb should be able to at least throw the ball out of bounds and beyond the line of scrimmage when they get strung out wide on an outside running play. Maybe even hit an open man instead of taking a loss. AU linemen know the rules about going upfield.

^^^this... I'm not sure why this happens the way it does. It seems like a running back could be trained to know when he's about to take a loss and just throw it out of bounds

If the running back throws the ball away to prevent lost yardage, its a penalty for intentional grounding.

Not if he's outside the tackle box and the ball goes past the line of scrimmage though, right?

I've always thought if your qb can run, your rb should be able to at least throw the ball out of bounds and beyond the line of scrimmage when they get strung out wide on an outside running play. Maybe even hit an open man instead of taking a loss. AU linemen know the rules about going upfield.

^^^this... I'm not sure why this happens the way it does. It seems like a running back could be trained to know when he's about to take a loss and just throw it out of bounds

If the running back throws the ball away to prevent lost yardage, its a penalty for intentional grounding.

Not if he's outside the tackle box and the ball goes past the line of scrimmage though, right?

WRONG... Read the previous posts above mine. That's exactly what they are saying.. It's not legal which is why you don't see RB's doing it. It's a penalty for Intentional Grounding.

While these plays are cool and all, I don't think they're really that necessary for our offense to perform. I don't think we'll lose any games this season because we didn't do a QB pass. I'd rather see brilliance at the basics, which enable us to win games, than having sexy trick plays that are pleasing to the eye.

Agree....the fans enjoy this kind of thing but IMO it's strictly for show and at this point in time, I don't think AU really needs the risk of a non-QB under a heavy rush getting flustered and making a bad throw or something. The standard offense has more than enough wrinkles to do the job.

With NM constantly carrying out run fakes after handing the ball off, I envision a jet sweep with NM handing to Grant and NM carrying out the run fake as always. Grant laterals to Bray on what looks like a reverse, but instead Bray pulls up and throws to NM.

I like!

You can throw the ball away if you are outside of the tackle box. It would not be intentional grounding.

But I imagine it would result in a penalty for ineligible receivers down field most of the time, as linemen would be run blocking beyond the line of scrimmage.

You can throw the ball away if you are outside of the tackle box. It would not be intentional grounding.

But I imagine it would result in a penalty for ineligible receivers down field most of the time, as linemen would be run blocking beyond the line of scrimmage.

WRONG. A running back can NOT throw the ball away to avoid lost yardage. It doesn't matter where he is on the field. Intentional Grounding.

WRONG. A running back can NOT throw the ball away to avoid lost yardage. It doesn't matter where he is on the field. Intentional Grounding.

To clarify, the outside the tackle box/beyond the los exception only applies to the player who receives the snap. A RB lining up in wildcat could therefore throw the ball away without a penalty, but if he takes a handoff or pitch and then passes, he has to get it near an eligible receiver.

To clarify, the outside the tackle box/beyond the los exception only applies to the player who receives the snap. A RB lining up in wildcat could therefore throw the ball away without a penalty, but if he takes a handoff or pitch and then passes, he has to get it near an eligible receiver.

EXACTLY. This very call was made last year I believe during a bowl game and the announcers didn't know either. They said it was a horrible call when in fact it was SPOT ON..

Edit: Added rule reference:

Exception: If the passer is or has been outside the tackle box he may throw the

ball so that it crosses or lands beyond the neutral zone or neutral zone extended

(Rule 2-19-3) (A.R. 7-3-2-VIII-X). This applies only to the player who controls

the snap

You should have started with posting the rule.

Thanks.

Well, actually I did. I stated in my first post on the subject that it would be intentional grounding. That is the rule, its just not the official rule reference and context. I wasn't home when I posted it and didn't have access to copy/paste the rule reference. It's also more fun to see how many think they know the rules and how unwavering they argue a point till proven wrong. Then there are some that even with the rule referenced above still believe a RB could throw the ball away to prevent lost yardage.

Archived