2014 Fall Practice - Days 4, 5 & 6

RunInRed

Chris Todd - blah

Dude compiled one of Auburn's best passing seasons ever and led one of Auburn's better overall offenses with a busted throwing shoulder. Also, you only included Malzahn's QBs at Auburn.

Sorry Mc....some people on this site have no appreciation of history....

Crazy, right? Especially since history only started in 2010 :P

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, what side does Prescott fall on? Is he a white QB running a spread offense? Or do we chalk him up as half a white QB running the spread? Do his passing stats fall in the white category but his rushing stats fall into the black QB category?

Let's go with half-white. In that case, the following teams run spread offenses or offenses with spread principles: Texas A&M, MSU, Ole Miss, Auburn, Mizzou, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Florida. I have no idea what Kentucky does.

Of those teams, A&M has a QB battle between Kyle Allen (white) and Kenny Hill (tough to tell... his dad is Ken Hill of the Cleveland Indians but Kenny looks much lighter); MSU has the aforementioned Prescott (mixed); Ole Miss has Bo Wallace (white); Auburn has Nick Marshall (black); Mizzou has Maty Mauk (white); Tennessee appears to be down to Justin Worley (white) and Joshua Dobbs (black); South Carolina has Dylan Thompson (white); and Florida has Driskel (white).

You sure I'm more likely to see black QBs running spread offenses?

Again, what side does Prescott fall on? Is he a white QB running a spread offense? Or do we chalk him up as half a white QB running the spread? Do his passing stats fall in the white category but his rushing stats fall into the black QB category?

Let's go with half-white. In that case, the following teams run spread offenses or offenses with spread principles: Texas A&M, MSU, Ole Miss, Auburn, Mizzou, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Florida. I have no idea what Kentucky does.

Of those teams, A&M has a QB battle between Kyle Allen (white) and Kenny Hill (tough to tell... his dad is Ken Hill of the Cleveland Indians but Kenny looks much lighter); MSU has the aforementioned Prescott (mixed); Ole Miss has Bo Wallace (white); Auburn has Nick Marshall (black); Mizzou has Maty Mauk (white); Tennessee appears to be down to Justin Worley (white) and Joshua Dobbs (black); South Carolina has Dylan Thompson (white); and Florida has Driskel (white).

You sure I'm more likely to see black QBs running spread offenses?

Dafuq you talking about?

My gosh guys, let it go, he made a comment, it can be taken in a different way than what he probably meant, it's okay, no need to call anything racist, a simple "that was an uncomfortable comment" if you feel that way will do

I know he is out, post-surgery, but have there been any Carl Lawson sightings? How is he looking/progressing in his recovery?

I'll let it go, but I was less concerned with the initial comment than the patently incorrect "that's not racism; it's statistics" defense.

As for practice, I'd be really interested to hear how Danzey is performing at LG while Slade is nicked up. We have a glut of big-time prospects that could work at Guard (Danzey, Mix, Diamond, Smith). I like Slade (more than some on this site), but that's a position with a lot of talent in waiting.

I know he is out, post-surgery, but have there been any Carl Lawson sightings? How is he looking/progressing in his recovery?

I'd be interested in a CL sighting/update as well.

How Good were Gus's QB's at Tulsa and Arky ST??? Color means nothing, Talent and Coaching mean everything.

Most moronic statement ive ever heard is that color makes people more or less athletic.

Im a 5' 8" white guy at 180lbs and can dunk a 9 ft goal. lol

ALRIGHT GIRLS! Can we get back to Fall Practice? Football is finally here and some want to talk about this garbage. Save it for the offseason or better yet, never.

How Good were Gus's QB's at Tulsa and Arky ST??? Color means nothing, Talent and Coaching mean everything.

Most moronic statement ive ever heard is that color makes people more or less athletic.

Im a 5' 8" white guy at 180lbs and can dunk a 9 ft goal. lol

No one has said color itself makes people more or less athletic. It's about probabilities and statistics. More black people are in the NBA than white people. That doesn't mean being black makes you better at basketball. But it does mean that if you are good at basketball to the point where you are in the NBA, more than likely you are black.

If a person plays QB, they are either white or black (most likely). Odds are if they are white, they play in a pro-style offense. Odds are if they are black, they play in a spread offense. That doesn't mean EVERYONE falls into those two categories, but those are the odds and they are not debatable. It is fact, not opinion. That does not mean if you are white that you can't be a good spread QB. It means if you are a successful spread QB, odds are you are black.

It's like SEC football. Odds are if you have won the National Championship, you have a high chance of being a member of the SEC. But that does not mean each SEC team has won the National Championship. Being from the SEC doesn't mean you are going to win the championship (see Kentucky), but those who win the national championship are typically from the SEC (see FSU).

More from the scrimmage ...

Malzahn said OL Chad Slade, CB Trovon Reed and DL Devaroe Lawrence were held out of today's scrimmage.

Malzahn on Roc Thomas: "He's got a lot of ability. There's no doubt about that."

Malzahn on Brandon Fulse: "He has very good receiving skills. ... He has a lot of versatility."

Malzahn said Sean White and Tucker Tuberville were "live" today; Jeremy Johnson did not and won't throughout the fall.

@wareagleextra

Multiple reports seem to indicate Roc showed out today ...

What does Gus mean by this?

Odds are if they are white, they play in a pro-style offense. Odds are if they are black, they play in a spread offense.

This part is inaccurate because you fail to realize that there are many types of "spread" offenses. You seem to be under the assumption that "spread offense" = running QB. Have you actually done the research to make this claim? Because I'd be willing to bet the numbers would be fairly evenly distributed if you were to look at every "spread" offense. For instance, I dont think that Mike Leach had a single black QB at Texas Tech...and that was one of the pioneering schools for the whole "spread offense" fad you see today.

Malzahn said OL Chad Slade, CB Trovon Reed and DL Devaroe Lawrence were held out of today's scrimmage.

Malzahn on Roc Thomas: "He's got a lot of ability. There's no doubt about that."

Malzahn on Brandon Fulse: "He has very good receiving skills. ... He has a lot of versatility."

Malzahn said Sean White and Tucker Tuberville were "live" today; Jeremy Johnson did not and won't throughout the fall.

@wareagleextra

If you're referring to the underlined part about Johnson, that just means that he won't be going full contact in practice. I'm sure the same applies to Marshall.

@wareagleextra

By saying that JJ wasn't and won't be live? He means that he won't be hit during practice (see the A-Day game for example). Coaches usually have their QBs wear a different, bright color jersey to signify that they are not to be hit. Ours wear orange, even though the rest of the offense wears blue in practice.

Sean White ...

BuYEGBhIMAAfFWk.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

ok have to say this first, im not trying to be racist but auburn hasn't had a really good caucasian qb in a long time, hope he changes that, i believe he can

Seems like an unnecessary comment.

+1

Sean White ...

BuYEGBhIMAAfFWk.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

ok have to say this first, im not trying to be racist but auburn hasn't had a really good caucasian qb in a long time, hope he changes that, i believe he can

Seems like an unnecessary comment.

i didn't mean any offense apologize if i offended any

Maybe it's just me, I didn't really see that as racist. It's not like WFE was saying that the reason some of the Caucasian QBs at AU haven't been great was because they were white... I mean, it's just a simple observation. Clint Mosley and Barrett Trotter were not as good as we had hoped they'd be. Doesn't mean they aren't good people. I've met BT, he's a super nice guy, and has a good job as a talent scout with the Rams. Haven't met CM and haven't heard a thing about him since he left, but I have no reason to think that he is anything less than an upstanding citizen.

Everybody take a chill pill. It's going to be okay :D

But why even bring up race? I don't care if our QB is fricking purple like Barney or bright yellow like Big Bird as long as he can execute!

The comment did have a tinge of "I hope he succeeds because he's white, and I like having a white QB." I have no idea if that's what he meant, but that's what it seemed. If that's the reading, racism is the proper term.

And, actually, this statement "black QBs will outperform white QBs . . . because they are more athletic" is definitionally racist. It's an assumption of superiority based on skin color. Evidence of white, athletic QBs (Andrew Luck, Johnny Manziel, Bryce Petty) be damned.

+1

Archived