2014 Fall Practice - Days 4, 5 & 6

RunInRed

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Guys, I was looking for Practice Updates. :dunno: As you were.. :sad2:

Apparently (said like the little kid on the news the other day), there were white people and black people at practice playing all manner of positions. Apparently.

Sorry Guys, I was looking for Practice Updates. :dunno: As you were.. :sad2:

Apparently (said like the little kid on the news the other day), there were white people and black people at practice playing all manner of positions. Apparently.

Big, if true..

Thanks for ruining the last 5 minutes of my life with all the racist garbage.

Getting back to football ...

Peyton Barber, running back

On first scrimmage: "I was able to learn a lot of things that I didn't know coming in, so I think it went pretty well."

On his game: "I feel like I'm very versatile. I feel like I can do it all. I can catch, I can run, block — pretty much anything you need me to do, I can do."

Montravius Adams, defensive lineman

On practice: "Actually, camp is just fun. We’re back in pads now. We’re getting back into football because that’s what we’re here for. That’s what we love to do."

On his game: "I know I improved a whole lot from last year to this year. I feel like I’m doing a lot better. I’ve still got to get better with techniques and hands and everything."

Angelo Blackson, defensive lineman

On practice: "Practice is great. We're getting after it every day. Guys are getting better. We've got the young guys. We're bringing them along. It's going great."

On his game: "I'm trying to do what's best for the team, finding a way to drop a couple of pounds and I'm just going to be able to come off the ball and rush the passer as opposed to stopping the run. I've already established my game as that. I just want to take my game to the next level."

Ben Bradley, defensive lineman

On practice: "We have started way ahead of where we were last year. I think it's going smoother than last year because we've got so many guys now. But it's been good so far."

On his game: "I did well to a certain extent (last season), but I'm looking for this year to be my breakout year. I did good last year, but it still wasn't good enough for me."

Avery Young, offensive lineman

On practice: "It's great. It's amazing how different things are compared to how it was last year at this time. We were confused. It took us like a week and a half to get two or three plays in just because it was fast-paced and everything with being able to read all that. Going through all the games and situations we went through makes it way easier."

On his game (moving from tackle to guard): "It doesn't change too much. Don't get me wrong, it makes a big difference when you can just pass block instead of running every play, but it doesn't make that big of a difference."

Corey Grant, running back

On practice (in Year Two with QB Nick Marshall and Jeremy Johnson): "Nick seems more comfortable, he’s making calls that he didn’t make last year or that he was having trouble with. I feel more comfortable with both of them this year because they just seem to be more focused and know more of the offense."

On his game: "It’s a lot better. After being in Coach’s system for a year, I feel totally different than last year. Last year my head was spinning, but with this camp coming around, things are much slower and now I can just sit back and play ball."

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080714aaa.html

More photos (via ITAT - free content) ...

Peyton Barber ...

1358137.jpg

Nick Marshall and CAP ...

1358713.jpg

Braden Smith ...

1358138.jpg

Duke Williams ...

1361994.jpg

Elijah Daniel

1358148.jpg

Sean White ...

BuYEGBhIMAAfFWk.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

ok have to say this first, im not trying to be racist but auburn hasn't had a really good caucasian qb in a long time, hope he changes that, i believe he can

What kind of an ignorant comment is that? If I was "King for a Day", you would be off this site for good!

Let's all act like liberals and condemn someone who said something that wasn't really racist! The only reason it was prefaced is because of the typical reactions that have become automatic: "You mentioned race so you're racist!" This whole thread is a perfect example of what's wrong with society. SMH.

Yes, the problem with society is sensitivity. Not war, famine, etc. Sensitivity. ;)

As to football, Barber sounds like a potential Swiss army knife. Any word of him getting time at H-Back along with Fulse? Barber is a big bodied running back that could do a lot of the things we did with Ronnie Brown at Fullback (generally, in the offset-I with Cadillac at tailback). I know Fulse is a better or at least more experienced receiver than Prosch, but Barber's speed and natural ability with the ball in his hands would be a nice wrinkle from time to time. Any chance we see some of that?

Peyton Barber ...

1358137.jpg

1358713.jpg

Braden Smith ...

1358138.jpg

Duke Williams ...

1361994.jpg

Elijah Daniel

1358148.jpg

Thanks, Red, but I'm confused: why is Braden Smith the only one in full pads? :P Actually, Williams and Daniel are looking pretty intimidating, too.

Like what I'm hearing across the board, injuries notwithstanding.

Daniel definitely looks thick. He's going to look like the old LSU DEs that Saban used to have (Spears and Hill). Hopefully, he will overwhelm with a combo of size and speed just like they did.

Daniel definitely looks thick. He's going to look like the old LSU DEs that Saban used to have (Spears and Hill). Hopefully, he will overwhelm with a combo of size and speed just like they did.

Agree. I can't pretend we won't miss Lawson, but Daniel and Owens might be nasty. And with possibly the best interior tandem in the league in Wright and Adams- forgive me if that's going a bit far- we might see our LBs get a little more help than they did last year*, even if the outside pass rush isn't quiiiiite there.

*I'm certainly not suggesting that our DL was a weak spot last year.

Photos were a cross a couple of practices/days ... some were full pads, others were not.

Hah, was totally kidding. Just pointing out how huge Smith is.

As to football, Barber sounds like a potential Swiss army knife. Any word of him getting time at H-Back along with Fulse? Barber is a big bodied running back that could do a lot of the things we did with Ronnie Brown at Fullback (generally, in the offset-I with Cadillac at tailback). I know Fulse is a better or at least more experienced receiver than Prosch, but Barber's speed and natural ability with the ball in his hands would be a nice wrinkle from time to time. Any chance we see some of that?

In a continued effort to put more content between us and previous lines of conversation in this thread...

...that's good stuff to think about. Looking at this awesome breakdown from Stat, I wonder if Barber could just chip the OLB and then slip out on a drag route, with Grant (or whoever lines up there) drawing the safety down and Marshall drawing the other OLB down after faking the handoff to the sweep guy:

mqtp.jpg

Or, looking at the Coates touchdown in the IB, it looks like Prosch didn't even need to block his guy. He could have just released, depending on the defensive alignment (looked crowded out there for him on that particular play):

nick-marshall-touchdown-pass-against-alabama.gif?w=1000

What incredible ball-handling, by the way. Nick likes to carry the ball like a loaf of bread but man, he's fantastic on the give/pull and has lightening-quick hands. Seriously transferring that ball from left to right and making an accurate throw in 2 and half steps. Unreal.

Sean White ...

BuYEGBhIMAAfFWk.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

ok have to say this first, im not trying to be racist but auburn hasn't had a really good caucasian qb in a long time, hope he changes that, i believe he can

Wow! "not trying to be racist"? I'm speechless. Just WOW!

Who cares what color the players are. They are Orange and Blue to me and they are ALL brothers! War Eagle.!

Peyton Barber ...

1358137.jpg

1358713.jpg

Braden Smith ...

1358138.jpg

Duke Williams ...

1361994.jpg

Elijah Daniel

1358148.jpg

Thanks, Red, but I'm confused: why is Braden Smith the only one in full pads? :P/> Actually, Williams and Daniel are looking pretty intimidating, too.

Like what I'm hearing across the board, injuries notwithstanding.

AU finally looks like an SEC team now. These dudes are solid. Duke is going to wreak havoc alongside Coates.

Ok, what are the details on Slade's injury? Are we going to have yet ANOTHER lineman miss significant playing time? Anything from our resident injury expert PTB?

What incredible ball-handling, by the way. Nick likes to carry the ball like a loaf of bread but man, he's fantastic on the give/pull and has lightening-quick hands. Seriously transferring that ball from left to right and making an accurate throw in 2 and half steps. Unreal.

I agree, such a great play! One thing I've wondered/worried about for this season is how good we will be on the option give/pull. Last year Tre and Nick were great. I have been wondering if this is a result of chemistry between the two, Marshall's ability to sell the fake or coaching. Suppose it could be all three. My question is whether it's realistic to expect similar "deceptiveness" this year with different backs or if it might be a little less tricky. Interested to hear feedback.

Ok, what are the details on Slade's injury? Are we going to have yet ANOTHER lineman miss significant playing time? Anything from our resident injury expert PTB?

Read somewhere it was minor concussion. Sounds like he should be fine come beginning of the season.

I agree, such a great play! One thing I've wondered/worried about for this season is how good we will be on the option give/pull. Last year Tre and Nick were great. I have been wondering if this is a result of chemistry between the two, Marshall's ability to sell the fake or coaching. Suppose it could be all three. My question is whether it's realistic to expect similar "deceptiveness" this year with different backs or if it might be a little less tricky. Interested to hear feedback.

Seconded.

I know how often the camera man was fooled (and I was fooled and defenses were fooled) last year and I LOVED it.

If anyone has insight to share on the methods of practicing this, how transferable it is as we move down the line of RBs and QBs, etc. it would be really cool.

Archived