***Auburn vs. Arkansas Post Game Thread***

RunInRed

Second half made the first half nausea go away completely! As good as JJ was, when Nick is running the O, we are borderline unstoppable. CAP looked beastly! Secondary played well, and thank the big man upstairs, Robinson Therezie is cleared to play, because he is our best defensive player that doesn't have a blown ACL. Mincy, and Gabe Wright both played well tonight also. WDE!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well...if you didn't know duke is the real deal before...now you know, JJ is the best backup in the sec maybe nation but i hope they get that run d together before the lsu game

Agree on that takeaway..,Clearly Duke came as advertised...so we should really enjoy him this season.

The score was close to where I figured, but not exactly its arrival. Overall a very solid game. Johnson took command of the offense in his SEC starting debut an unleashed the aerial attack. He really did a great job of finding open receivers when their defense was containing the run.

Still have to over come those 2nd quarter scoring lulls, and come out of the gates more aggressive on defense. It was slightly demoralizing watching a veteran front seven get gashed up the middle for huge chunks in the 1st half.

Consider how we looked in the opener last year against WSU, versus how we looked tonight. First game rust? Yes. By the second half we were killing it though. Also Corey Grant was as expected.

Here's the deal, first games are game planned on what was seen last year and what was seen during spring games. Most of the time first halves of first games are pretty poor defensively. Half time adjustments are made towards what is being run currently. So, that said, don't worry too much about what the defense looked like the first half. We were adjusted and schemed against a different look. Once we had the current look you saw what AU will look like. I was pleased.

Good game Tigers.

Thought we played a great first half. Brandon Allen looked a lot better. Not sure why we only ran the ball 6 times in the 2nd half, but you guys just wore us down. Glad we got that game out of the way though. Your receivers are sick.

Good game Tigers.

Thought we played a great first half. Brandon Allen looked a lot better. Not sure why we only ran the ball 6 times in the 2nd half, but you guys just wore us down. Glad we got that game out of the way though. Your receivers are sick.

Thanks and good game to the hogs.

Post often, friend!

595 yards total offense

302 rushing on 48 carries, 6.3 ypc

293 yards passing completing 16 of 22 attempts

9 of 14 on 3rd down conversions

Like others said, 2nd half D was fantastic! I think the D just having to find their rhythm and niche?

I hope we play Kst the way we played the second half. They're spread, but they like the power run/ Zone read. We have to be physical against them up front.

Good game Tigers.

Y'all did play well. I hope you have a good season.

Good game Tigers.

A lot closer than I anticipated in the beginning.

This year's edition of the Hogs was a lot more physical than last season.

well...if you didn't know duke is the real deal before...now you know, JJ is the best backup in the sec maybe nation but i hope they get that run d together before the lsu game

Agree on that takeaway..,Clearly Duke came as advertised...so we should really enjoy him this season.

The score was close to where I figured, but not exactly its arrival. Overall a very solid game. Johnson took command of the offense in his SEC starting debut an unleashed the aerial attack. He really did a great job of finding open receivers when their defense was containing the run.

Still have to over come those 2nd quarter scoring lulls, and come out of the gates more aggressive on defense. It was slightly demoralizing watching a veteran front seven get gashed up the middle for huge chunks in the 1st half.

slightly? that junk hurt dont wanna see that again

595 yards total offense

302 rushing on 48 carries, 6.3 ypc

293 yards passing completing 16 of 22 attempts

9 of 14 on 3rd down conversions

Like others said, 2nd half D was fantastic! I think the D just having to find their rhythm and niche?

Now that's a balanced attack...

Good game Tigers.

Thanks and good game to the hogs.

Post often, friend!

Ditto. It's clear you're far too rational to fit in at hogville, so feel free to come here often.

Good game Tigers.

I thought the game would be close through 3, and it pretty much was. Y'all will be much better this year. Hopefully it translates to more success too for you :) ... Too bad we both play in the SEC west. Only the pac 12 north might be a tougher division for either of us to be in this year.

I feel like the O-line was one of the biggest differences in the game. In the second half in particular they pounded the hogs. On one 3rd & 4 all hog d-linemen were pushed beyond first down marker! Grant's TD was all O-line. I only recall 1 penalty. IMHO they are by far the most polished group on the team as of now.

That turned into an impressive W. The D performance was outstanding in the second half. JJ played a terrific game. Duke showed up. Melvin Ray made a couple of huge plays when we needed them. CAP had an impressive game and so did Grant. Barber showed us a glimpse of the future. Nick played well. All in all, it was great way to get the season started....oh, and we have a guy with a huge leg.

War Eagle!!!!!

As good as we looked in the 2nd half, our defense needs a lot of work I could have rolled through those big holes. Our D could not stop their running game. We also got burned on a few big pass plays.

Here's the deal, first games are game planned on what was seen last year and what was seen during spring games. Most of the time first halves of first games are pretty poor defensively. Half time adjustments are made towards what is being run currently. So, that said, don't worry too much about what the defense looked like the first half. We were adjusted and schemed against a different look. Once we had the current look you saw what AU will look like. I was pleased.

I agree, kinda what I was saying in my previous post. I think the D is gonna be pretty good as they keep going. Lots of playmakers on the D side just like the O side. The O is pretty much what I expected...gonna be tough for DC's to scheme against this O, with the addition of a dangerous passing game and playmakers everywhere.

Did anyone notice the change in the zone read? AU utilized an Oregon-esque version of leaving the DT unblocked and making the read off of the DT. New wrinkle by CGM in the O. I think the CGM playbook is only been slightly cracked open and with Marshall in 2nd year in O and the playmakers at WR, the sky is the limit with CGM and what he can do with the O. I was pleased to see CGM bust out the read option play with JJ in the 1st quarter when JJ passed to Ray. That was a run/pass option all the way based on what CB did. Some good and unique stuff coming from CGM this year, folks, hold on!!!

Arkansas had 51 yards of total offense in the 2nd half. Now, that's what I call a defensive adjustment. Great job by the Tigers.

It didn't look like we were getting out physical in the first half. It looked like our D-linemen were shooting up-field and we were over pursuing. Second half adjustments definitely turned the defense completely around. Secondary didn't look awesome, but a few missed assignments are to be expected in the first game. Overall the defense looks like it will be better than last year. My biggest concern moving forward is getting a pass rush with 4 down lineman. Hopefully Lawson gets back sooner rather than later.

Offensively we have a lot of play makers and wore down a good defensive line. If we could morph Johnson and Marshall into 1 Qb we'd be unstoppable. Marshall should be the starter though no question. I wanna see Gus let him sling it around next week.

The most encouraging thing for me is we took control of the game against a much improved SEC team who punched us in the mouth a few times. Well have a few weeks to work out some kinks and hone in our game. Should be and exciting year. Oh yeah....and Bama looked average!

Archived