How Lucky Is Auburn?

AUbritt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How lucky is Auburn? Lucky enough that their recent best teams continually face top 20 SOS schedules while uat's schedule consistantly falls outside the top 50.

I was hoping coach Malzahn would have sent in the kicking team so Carlson could have added 3 more points as the clock went to 0:00. I'm glad we won, but we were awful flat.

All this talk about luck is funny. it boils down to this. A team is either good enough to finish or they aren't. Driving the ball the length of the field doesn't mean squat if you're not good enough to finish by carrying it over the goal line or kicking it through the uprights. Its like a steal at half court in basketball. If the guy who made the steal can take the ball back down the floor and either score himself or orchestrate a score....they were good enough to finish. People who played sports understand, very well, the concept of "finishing" Those who don't might call a team's inability to finish, the other team's luck. I call it what it is...not being good enough to finish....period!

All this talk about luck is funny. it boils down to this. A team is either good enough to finish or they aren't. Driving the ball the length of the field doesn't mean squat if you're not good enough to finish by carrying it over the goal line or kicking it through the uprights. Its like a steal at half court in basketball. If the guy who made the steal can take the ball back down the floor and either score himself or orchestrate a score....they were good enough to finish. People who played sports understand, very well, the concept of "finishing" Those who don't might call a team's inability to finish, the other team's luck. I call it what it is...not being good enough to finish....period!

Well said!!

I was hoping coach Malzahn would have sent in the kicking team so Carlson could have added 3 more points as the clock went to 0:00. I'm glad we won, but we were awful flat.

Why would were you hoping that Malzahn would send the kicking team to add three points? You want Kansas St. to block it and run it back to beat us?

Why would were you hoping that Malzahn would send the kicking team to add three points? You want Kansas St. to block it and run it back to beat us?

I think he wanted to make the FG.

Dead on JFDTiger80. I have heard many times how lucky we were and I agree with you. I was on my way home from the game in the airport and heard a UA fan say to a Virginia fan how lucky we were. I wanted to say something but I didn't.

I would have, ur a better man than I in that situation. I love confronting turds

As I've often heard attributed to the great Gary Player: "The harder I work, the luckier I get."

This week in the SEC I'm sure LSU fans and Missouri fans are wishing their teams were as lucky as Auburn.

good post Britt

Scarbo has had a couple of columns praising our win at K-State. It's more interesting than it might otherwise be, since he;s on that Shadow Selection Committee.

Scarbinsky is on what committee? (It ain't the playoff committee.)

Faith kicks in at some point imo

The Lord has favorite teams?

Older AU fans will remember this:

You know the Lord's a Tiger too, because the sun is orange and the sky is blue!

I know people who actually think that God gives a crap about what team wins a football game.

Yup. As if an omnipotent being in charge of billions of lives has nothing bigger on their plates than a football game...

Faith kicks in at some point imo

The Lord has favorite teams?

Older AU fans will remember this:

You know the Lord's a Tiger too, because the sun is orange and the sky is blue!

oh yes I have heard that one many times. God gave these young men their talent. How it gets used is up to them.

I know people who actually think that God gives a crap about what team wins a football game.

Yup. As if an omnipotent being in charge of billions of lives has nothing bigger on their plates than a football game...

It's just for fun man. I know their are bigger things than football.

You know, the sun is orange and sky is blue saying

It's just for fun man. I know their are bigger things than football.

You know, the sun is orange and sky is blue saying

We're on the same page.

I suspect that Clemson fans think that God cares about football and also that God hates them.

God doesn't hate Clemson, just maybe Daboo.....Joke......

We are lucky enough to know that luck works both ways (good and bad). At the end of the day, it is a 50/50 proposition for good teams like Auburn.

If we were lucky we would be defending national champs.

"if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all"... Ray Charles

I do not think God cares about a football game winner. I do believe He cares a great deal about the people involved. :-)

good post Britt

Scarbo has had a couple of columns praising our win at K-State. It's more interesting than it might otherwise be, since he;s on that Shadow Selection Committee.

Scarbinsky is on what committee? (It ain't the playoff committee.)

What I called the Shadow Selection Committee is a group of sportswriters getting together and voting in what they're calling 'The First Four Poll'.

The idea is for them to pick the best 4 teams each week.

Here's Scarbo's latest ballot and explanation.

Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity.

For you to be able to exploit opportunity, you need to be prepared.

We were prepared and it paid off in another win!!!

Also..... "I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." - Thomas Jefferson

I once watched as Gary Player holed out of a sand trap. Someone in the gallery hollered "Lucky Shot Gary" Player responded, " You know the more I practice the luckier I get".............

Archived