Is Gus Sandbagging?

Weegle777

Is Gus sandbagging? In a way maybe he is. When did we know last year that we could run the zone read the way we did. Was it before or after the LSU game? Maybe it was during. My point is perhaps it takes a few games to find out what a team does best.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not even sure what to say about this, you think that 2010 Auburn with our best QB in history towards the END of the season is at all comparable to Auburn at this part? 2010 Auburn wouldn't have been close to KSU and no comeback would've been necessary.

Plus its a FOUR YEAR DIFFERENCE, these aren't the same teams. This team did terrible on offense for roughly 3 quarters and almost lost. That is the harsh truth. How can you possibly say the play calling would change based on 3rd quarter playcalling under Malzahn in 2013? That's literally his biggest flaw, watch Ole Miss, FSU, Alabama, Mississippi State, bad playcalling.

Oh good grief. That comparison wasn't about the teams or the players, it was about Gus Malzahn making adjustments to counter what was stopping his offense.

What are you smoking? KState did NOT almost beat us?

No, they didn't. It took a huge stop by their defense when we were deep in their territory halfway through the fourth quarter just to hold us to a field goal and keep the lead at 13 points instead of 17. It then took a quick drive by an offense which had been stymied all night by Auburn's defense to score a touchdown and pull within 6. Even if they HAD stopped us on 3rd and 9, they still would have had to drive 70+ yards (presuming that we got at least 35 yards, net, out of the punting unit) in less than 2 minutes (with no timeouts) to score another touchdown, then made the extra point to take the lead, and hope that we didn't have enough time to drive down and get into Carlson's field goal range. That's the same Daniel Carlson who hit a 70 yarder in high school, too.

The bottom line is that they needed a lot of things to go in their favor in order to pull off the upset. They got several of those things to go in their favor, yet they still never had the ball with a chance to win it. THAT is why they didn't almost beat us.

What are you smoking? KState did NOT almost beat us?

No, they didn't. It took a huge stop by their defense when we were deep in their territory halfway through the fourth quarter just to hold us to a field goal and keep the lead at 13 points instead of 17. It then took a quick drive by an offense which had been stymied all night by Auburn's defense to score a touchdown and pull within 6. Even if they HAD stopped us on 3rd and 9, they still would have had to drive 70+ yards (presuming that we got at least 35 yards, net, out of the punting unit) in less than 2 minutes to score another touchdown, then made the extra point to take the lead, and hope that we didn't have enough time to drive down and get into Carlson's field goal range. That's the same Daniel Carlson who hit a 70 yarder in high school, too.

The bottom line is that they needed a lot of things to go in their favor in order to pull off the upset. They got several of those things to go in their favor, yet they still never had the ball with a chance to win it. THAT is why they didn't almost beat us.

I stand with Rednilla on this issue, and most of the comments in response to his stance make it that much easier to agree with. Well, that... and he's right.

K State not only almost beat us, they almost tarred, feathered, and ran us out on a rail. I hear what you're saying about the KSU missed opportunities changing the course of the game. I truly believe that in every game. I also believe that with the poor blocking up front, Gus had no answer for Mueller.

If the blocking doesn't come around, they won't be the last team, and there will be some numbers in the loss column. Hopefully the o-line comes around this weekend, otherwise LSU wins.

Tarred, feathered, and ran out on a rail? Really? This is a team that led for less than 4 of the 60 minutes of the game, remember. And let us not forget that while they had some miscues that could have led to scores, we did as well; are we to presume everything that went wrong for them was luck on our part, while everything that went wrong for us was not luck on their part?

Could Kansas State have beaten Auburn? Yes, they could have, because they played a hell of a game defensively, and it was close enough that with a couple more bounces their way, things could have turned out differently.

But if anyone actually bothered to read my post that they are lashing out at, with just a couple of bounces our way, it turns from a close game to a blowout very easily...and I wasn't even factoring in the touchdown pass that hit Duke in the hands and he dropped. Those kinds of things happen in football, but they tend to balance themselves out. Auburn was in control of the game for the ENTIRE fourth period. IF we hadn't converted the third down with just over 2 minutes left, THEN you could make a legitimate point about Auburn 'almost losing' the game.

As it is, however, only the K-State touchdown with three minutes and change remaining made the score look closer than it really was.

P.S. I will agree that the blocking needs to get better, though, because we won't survive the brutality of the schedule if it doesn't.

KSU did almost beat Auburn. After all, the Wildcats almost scored more points than the Tigers.

And that same night, I almost became a millionaire. After all, I almost got some of the lottery numbers right.

Still doesn't make me a millionaire....

when you win a game by 6 points to a team that gave you an interception actually traded for a TD, missed 3 FGs, yes that is almost losing. you can spin it differently but the point is you dont sandbag and play that close. we are struggling in some areas. we might have to adjust our expectations.

All of these teams have 1 thing in common:

Miss St., Tex A&M, Georgia, Alabama

They all "almost" beat Auburn last year. Funny, we were all celebrating those close victories (even Miss St). This year it's "cause for concern".

Bottom line is that AU's gonna have some close games. They're gonna have some "lucky" games. But until they truly act like a team that can't get out of it's own way and the coaches truly look like they've lost control.... I'm gonna feel ausome about a 6 point victory over the #20 team in the country, at their place, on a Thursday night, when even the officials and the turf seemed out to get AU. True, AU didn't play a great game...but they won while NOT playing a great game and I personally give them the benefit of the doubt.

They all "almost" beat Auburn last year. Funny, we were all celebrating those close victories (even Miss St). This year it's "cause for concern".

Bottom line is that AU's gonna have some close games. They're gonna have some "lucky" games. But until they truly act like a team that can't get out of it's own way and the coaches truly look like they've lost control.... I'm gonna feel ausome about a 6 point victory over the #20 team in the country, at their place, on a Thursday night, when even the officials and the turf seemed out to get AU. True, AU didn't play a great game...but they won while NOT playing a great game and I personally give them the benefit of the doubt.

what doubt?

the difference in this year and last are expectations. and you are right, we almost lost all those games including Kstate.

when you win a game by 6 points to a team that gave you an interception actually traded for a TD, missed 3 FGs, yes that is almost losing.

Yes, if you focus on only the negative aspects of any given game and completely ignore the positive aspects, then you can make almost any game sound like it was almost lost.

you dont sandbag and play that close. we are struggling in some areas. we might have to adjust our expectations.

That's easy to agree with. My expectations have been adjusted already. I expect the defense to continue to be much further along than I previously did, and I expect the offense to continue to be not as far along as I previously hoped but still pretty dang good.

All very true and I would add that while everyone concentrates on the missed FG's and INT in the endzone by KSU, they forget the blatant missed holding calls and blocks in the back by the refs. Auburn could have won that game without so much drama if they had punched in the TD after Reed's INT instead of settling for 3 after the strange play calling in the red zone. All that being said it does seem the offense is a little off so far but it didn't really start clicking until after the LSU game last year so maybe its just the new guys on the O line having to adjust and gel and we will start to see more consistency this week.

what doubt?

I'm reading a lot of posts who seem to be of the opinion that AU is going down in flames during the upcoming gauntlet simply due to the performance of the KSU game. The angle I'm coming from is that until this team & coaching staff demonstrates a Terry Bowden-esk or Gene Chizik-esk meltdown, I give them the benefit of the doubt that they are taking care of their business and will improve and play to their potential. Especially now that the schedule has hit that point where I believe their focus will be MUCH greater than it has been so far (with the early off week, odd scheduling, Thur night, etc.)

I believe Gus and company will take care of business.

Its all about expectations...every national contender has looked vulnerable at some point in these first few weeks, not just Auburn. Our expectations were through the roof for this team and thats ok but maybe we underestimated the losses both to departure and injury, especially on the offensive line. All Auburn has to do is be better than the other team each week, they dont have to win the beauty contest as long as they get the W.

when you win a game by 6 points to a team that gave you an interception actually traded for a TD, missed 3 FGs, yes that is almost losing. you can spin it differently but the point is you dont sandbag and play that close. we are struggling in some areas. we might have to adjust our expectations.

We all see things through the lens we choose to see them. Did they 'give' Auburn an interception, or did Auburn's defense force a laser beam throw from 5 yards away that the receiver couldn't handle, and then capitalize on the miscue? And how are you so sure that it would have been a TD in the first place? If AU hadn't come up with the INT, why is it presumed that KSU wouldn't have been held to a field goal? I suppose that doesn't fit the narrative you want to believe, does it?

Yes, they missed three field goals. Two of them were from beyond 40 yards, hardly considered a gimme, and one of those was from that distance because the defense came up with a sack on third down. And, again, had any of that "luck" not played out the way it did, it would have altered our game plan.

But the fact that Auburn's first touchdown came on a quick drive to answer KSU's first touchdown is a testament to how quickly we could have scored if Malzahn had been trying to push the pace and score more points. The fact that Auburn's second touchdown came on a 15 play drive when the Wildcat D failed time and again to stop the Tiger O on third down is a testament to how much more consistently we played in the second half.

The fact that the Wildcats did not get the ball with a chance to take the lead AT ANY POINT in the fourth quarter is a testament to how much they didn't come close to beating us. THAT is why I say that it isn't so far fetched to think that Gus was sandbagging, at least to some degree. The game was NEVER out of hand, and thus he was able to work primarily on execution of the base offense rather than being forced to open up the playbook and let it all hang out.

Now, I will (and have) wholeheartedly agree that we have areas to work on if Auburn is to have the season we all want to have. That's not groundbreaking news by any stretch.

But stop belittling the team's effort just because you aren't satisfied with such a close win.

We all see things through the lens we choose to see them. Did they 'give' Auburn an interception, or did Auburn's defense force a laser beam throw from 5 yards away that the receiver couldn't handle, and then capitalize on the miscue? And how are you so sure that it would have been a TD in the first place? If AU hadn't come up with the INT, why is it presumed that KSU wouldn't have been held to a field goal? I suppose that doesn't fit the narrative you want to believe, does it?

Yes, they missed three field goals. Two of them were from beyond 40 yards, hardly considered a gimme, and one of those was from that distance because the defense came up with a sack on third down. And, again, had any of that "luck" not played out the way it did, it would have altered our game plan.

But the fact that Auburn's first touchdown came on a quick drive to answer KSU's first touchdown is a testament to how quickly we could have scored if Malzahn had been trying to push the pace and score more points. The fact that Auburn's second touchdown came on a 15 play drive when the Wildcat D failed time and again to stop the Tiger O on third down is a testament to how much more consistently we played in the second half.

The fact that the Wildcats did not get the ball with a chance to take the lead AT ANY POINT in the fourth quarter is a testament to how much they didn't come close to beating us. THAT is why I say that it isn't so far fetched to think that Gus was sandbagging, at least to some degree. The game was NEVER out of hand, and thus he was able to work primarily on execution of the base offense rather than being forced to open up the playbook and let it all hang out.

Now, I will (and have) wholeheartedly agree that we have areas to work on if Auburn is to have the season we all want to have. That's not groundbreaking news by any stretch.

But stop belittling the team's effort just because you aren't satisfied with such a close win.

I only belittled flawed logic,such as yours. I am satisfied with the win as much as anyone. I don't need to make excuses for a less than stellar win by creating a scenario that our coach intentionally played the game close enough that ONE PLAYcould have lost it in the end. Wake up.

I just think we got up for Arkansas their a new rival and sleep walked the last 3 games.We kinda look slow until 4th when their like time to put it away.Almost cost them K State,but didnt. What I said to my dad in 2nd Qtr of K State,their sleep walking and K State is that bad. I rewatched that game should of been 55-20 Auburn. Garrett whiffed at a pick 6,that set up their first td. Coates missed a td and duke dropped a td. They wanna say K State lost it,Auburn bout gave it away,not like they didnt leave points on the field. K State has 3 very good d line players. Meuller and Britz all conference players and nfl players. Their d line will be best we face till Ole Miss.

I only belittled flawed logic,such as yours. I am satisfied with the win as much as anyone. I don't need to make excuses for a less than stellar win by creating a scenario that our coach intentionally played the game close enough that ONE PLAYcould have lost it in the end. Wake up.

Attributing flawed logic to another is often the result of the accuser's failure to understand the logic of the argument being presented.

I just think we got up for Arkansas their a new rival and sleep walked the last 3 games.We kinda look slow until 4th when their like time to put it away.Almost cost them K State,but didnt. What I said to my dad in 2nd Qtr of K State,their sleep walking and K State is that bad. I rewatched that game should of been 55-20 Auburn. Garrett whiffed at a pick 6,that set up their first td. Coates missed a td and duke dropped a td. They wanna say K State lost it,Auburn bout gave it away,not like they didnt leave points on the field. K State has 3 very good d line players. Meuller and Britz all conference players and nfl players. Their d line will be best we face till Ole Miss.

I can get on board with your first sentence. I also agree we are a lot better than kstate. Just can't buy that our coach sandbagged in a 6 point win on the road.

it was 20-7, they scored vs prevent defense and if we didnt do those dumb wildcat plays it would of been 24-7 before they score. That guy wasnt gone make those first two fgs it was right at his range with high crosswinds.Why alot of Marshall passes sailed like the two to coates

didnt say sandbagged said they didnt give effort for last 3 games,not motivated. La Tech was also a look ahead game to LSU.

yea,I was referring to the overall theme of the thread about sandbagging. I agree with your idea.

If you want to stack your argument the way you did - fine. At this point I consider the game like an airplane landing - any one you walk away from is a good one.

But why put in that last line? Anyone who expresses concern, feels there is room for improvement or feels we were lucky to get out with a win is "belittling the team's effort." I think most of your arguments above are about the K-State game are delusional. Our D was so good it caused a change in the velocity of the ball which caused a wide open receiver to drop it? Gus was not pushing the pace implying he was not trying to score more points on purpose? But it is your right to have such opinions and I will not propose you should stop expressing them. Quit suggesting people should stop expressing opinions just because they are different from yours. Frank evaluation of a team's performance is not belittling the team.

The biggest point I would make is that for the 4 games of last year, I thought Prosch looked awful to put it simply. He was missing blocks, looked out of his league as far as what reads he was making. From that point on, it was night and day. I expect similar this year. I know that Fulse is a different player but I don't think its all that outlandish to think that it takes some adjustments through the year to figure out what you are doing in this offense.

Just my 2 cents.

Good point. Fulse has not been impressive and has missed some important blocks (just ask Grant). But the same could also have been said of Prosch early last year, and he turned into the beast we know and love.

Sandbagging, no. Vanilla to set up this difficult stretch of SEC games, more likely. Very difficult to make final 4 without winning SECCG.

Once the real polls come out hot teams are going to be positioned best. I believe save something for when it matters most. Gotta win west, and SEC.

Archived