Is Gus Sandbagging?

Weegle777

Great discussion and great answers, except one smart alec one, but good nonetheless. I sometimes wonder if Gus is kinda holding Nick back a little to keep him from getting pounded too much because of the grind that they are about to hit. The one xfactor that really made our rushing attack last season was Nick's ability to run the zone read to perfection, and you don't just lose that over an offseason. We are about to go up against the best defenses in the country in this 8 game stretch, so maybe he is just pulling back the reigns a little.

Sure am leaning to my own understanding right now, but something rings true with this. Conservation matters, but in as small of doses as possible to still give what is needed to pull it off.

As well, I think my personal expectations have been off the chain, partly due to lots of positive press that we are not used to getting. We definitely miss Jay Prosch--person and role. SIZE!!!! Our O-line is not as dominant w/out Robinson and Kozan. There was nowhere to go but up last year, so every W can feel like an L this year if it's sloppy...because all of the doomsday and second-guessing begins. Interestingly, the full package is coming together, for with so much attn. and expectation on our offense, our defense is creeping up and getting its own wow factor.

True this: the games we remember most had "intangibles" written all over them. Pretty amazing execution, but too close to call until BAM! Prayer in JH/Kick 6. End of the season at that. Much like getting a new crop of kids each fall that seems headed for retention already only because of how far the previous group had gotten by May. Perception rules. We forget.

Sloppy, imperfect games...yet all wins. Mistakes will always be there, and will be random. As will penalties, although I would LOVE to see these drop off--the part we can control, that is. (Who knows what's in the perception of conference officials?). Something--in ourselves or in our opponents--we have faced in every game is going to have the potential to result in something previously unforeseen being avoided in a future game, I honestly believe.

In short-- the "dress rehearsals" to the gauntlet will PAY OFF. Just my 2 cents...realistic rainbow-loving sunshine girl that I am...

:wareagle:/>

Best post in the thread! :bow:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Gus is sandbagging at all. He & Lashlee preach execution, and the offense has just not been executing as consistently as it could/(should.) The incredible blocking we saw in the latter half of last season just hasn't been present this season, except for the pass blocking -- that's been pretty good. I've seen interior linemen, wide receivers & backs all miss their blocks at times this year. It's not just one person or one side of the line, either.

Sandbagging? No. Tinkering, experimenting, looking for the best combo to get max speed out of this year's edition of the Gus Bus? Sure. I think it's a hallmark of Malzahn coached offenses that they get better as the season goes along. Even in 2010 with Cam, it took a little while to really get rolling.

This season the Gus Bus has the same carburetor (Nick Marshall) but bits of the transmission (the offensive line) and the suspension (running backs, H-back) have been replaced. Still getting it all dialed in...which isn't to say that Malzahn and Lashlee didn't fully expect to have it all dialed in earlier. This may be the week where all the parts get dialed in just right and we hit

. For all the issues, it's not like the bus has just been limping along...

I agree - I see it as tinkering at this point to work on things that are not being well executed. I wouldn't call it sandbagging, but more slow-rolling it because to me it seems like he can always get a score when needed so far this season. Against KSU, when we were down 7-3, we went right down and scored and never trailed again. I think he knows what will work and uses it to get the lead, then tinkers some more. Although not sure why he didn't drive for scores on first possession against KSU and LaTech. Even when LaTech scored, we drove down and scored again just to tell Holtz to sit down and shut up.

I think we have seen maybe 60% of our offense so far this season. The Arky game probably showed more closely what Gus has in store. Even with that game, we saw a good bit less of the entire package that we will see as the season progresses.

I think we will see a good crisp offense and defense against LSU. LSU is still trying to figure out why they lost to MSU. Their QB play leaves a lot to be desired. Les Miles has established himself as coach who really does not know how work with QBs. They are a good team, but not an elite team this season. They will likely end up with an 8-5 record.

However, we will need to have our A game for Saturday.

sandbagging.. no, stubbornness.. maybe, poor execution at times.. yes, poor play calling at times.. yes .

The experimentation is over, time to gas up and put the pedal to the metal.

I maybe in the minority here, but I think there is something a little off with the offense this year. Whether it was the suspension of NM, loss of JP or the injury to Kozan, I believe there is something not clicking. I hope I am wrong and the offense comes out Saturday and destroys LSU.

I maybe in the minority here, but I think there is something a little off with the offense this year. Whether it was the suspension of NM, loss of JP or the injury to Kozan, I believe there is something not clicking. I hope I am wrong and the offense comes out Saturday and destroys LSU.

All those things have an effect...just part of the game and teams have to play through their problems...and improve every week.

JMO but the players are going to have a different attitude about playing LSU than they did with LaTech....and I don't put much stock in the struggles last week...

Guest jojo1515

I think Gus has saved a lot of the playbook so far. This is evident (to me) by the fact we saw a new play against KSU when we were in need of it. Up until the strange counter pass to CAP for the td, we saw very few plays. I think we have been focusing on the basic plays during the week so that is what we are running in games to try and perfect it. The playbook has has only been peeked in this year when needed, and not a second before. It seems like an attempt to force the base of the offense to click better. If the same plays work against LSU, I wouldn't expect many new ones. Gus is not like Kiffin. He is not going to throw all his best plays at a Florida team that is likely to go 4-8. Just ain't happenin. Same goes for any team we play. He is always holding a little back until necessary. Guess what teams are going to do when bama lines a rb up as a wide receiver? I bet they've practiced it since he wasted that play on Florida. Gus hasn't wasted anything. I believe this is why Gus teams start seasons slow. Not giving away any secrets while perfecting the base offense. Once perfected, defenses get so caught up playing catch up that any new play catches them by surprise. While bamas I will likely worse as the season goes due to giving away the keys to the garage to let in a pinto, our o will only get better and better as teams slowly react to the new wrinkles added every week. We are keeping our garage locked until the Lamborghini shows up.

Absolutely IMO! I believe Gus has been keeping the playbook under wraps but the chemistry and execution from the O-line is a legit concern.

Per an al.com article Auburn ran three plays with both Artis-Payne and Grant on the field last week. That triple threat set with motion has been really useful in freeing up space in the past, especially when the slot guy can do other things too. Just wondering if we might have been playing possum just a little with our running game.

On the other hand, it would be just ducky if everybody's healthy and we block some people.

I have read where some have concerns about NM's health, and that he doesn't seem to have the same speed as last year. Not being an offensive guy, I have a question. Considering there is an obvious attempt to put the passing game more into the offensive fold, could it be that it is "slowed" by putting more consideration into the "pass option" of the "read-option"? I mean, isn't this offensive scheme predicated on the ability to run and/or throw out of pretty much every formation? If this is true, NM may be hampered by the new wrinkle in the offense that he and the coaches want/need to incorporate. The ease of the run game for NM may be out of synch due to the need to determine run or pass. JMHO. I don't think NM's health is an issue.

Health issues for NM ? I doubt it and he looked pretty quick avoiding the rush a few times and turning the corner against a couple of DBs...he just makes it look effortless.

Sandbagging...who knows...but I do think that Gus does what it takes to win against schools like La Tech and does not try to just run up the score to look good. That was a good game to work on fundamentals ....which need working on. But I think AU could have dialed up the score if the coaches were inclined to do so...but that's not who they are. They got a good margin of victory (similar to Oklahoma which was interesting) and let a lot of guys play.

I have read where some have concerns about NM's health, and that he doesn't seem to have the same speed as last year. Not being an offensive guy, I have a question. Considering there is an obvious attempt to put the passing game more into the offensive fold, could it be that it is "slowed" by putting more consideration into the "pass option" of the "read-option"? I mean, isn't this offensive scheme predicated on the ability to run and/or throw out of pretty much every formation? If this is true, NM may be hampered by the new wrinkle in the offense that he and the coaches want/need to incorporate. The ease of the run game for NM may be out of synch due to the need to determine run or pass. JMHO. I don't think NM's health is an issue.

Good point you made IMO.

I am one who has wondered out loud about NM's speed. I don't think health is an issue at all but you do make a good point about him perhaps thinking too much.... Perhaps taking that split second to decide if he should throw or run? Sometimes in football you can't think...you just have to let the instincts take over. Maybe he's not doing that. ...and with the dog-fight about to commence, perhaps they'll turn him loose.

It's just a theory but it might help explain some of the issues.

Auburn has obviously come a long way in recent years.

Not that long ago, we just wanted to win a reasonable number of games...but now just winning a game is not enough....we also demand that the team win big...and make no mistakes. The team must look "good" winning the games ...and of course, no matter if AU wins, we pick the performance a part ad infinitum.

What's the next step....firing a coach because he has a couple of 9 win seasons when the fans were expecting the team to be in the playoff? :-\ I wonder if Gus will be at AU longer than Tubs.

Not that long ago, we just wanted to win a reasonable number of games...but now just winning a game is not enough....we also demand that the team win big...and make no mistakes. The team must look "good" winning the games ...and of course, no matter if AU wins, we pick the performance a part ad infinitum.

What's the next step....firing a coach because he has a couple of 9 win seasons when the fans were expecting the team to be in the playoff? :-\ I wonder if Gus will be at AU longer than Tubs.

It's the nature of a fanbase. I think NS said it best a couple of years ago, "we built this monster, so don't complain when it has to be fed" or something along those lines.

And your comment about firing a coach that doesn't meet the fans expectations, look back a couple of years ago and your question is answered. Win a NC one season and if the coach puts crap on the field then he is outta here pronto!

What's the next step....firing a coach because he has a couple of 9 win seasons when the fans were expecting the team to be in the playoff? :-\/> I wonder if Gus will be at AU longer than Tubs.

I think it's human nature to raise expectations when you have success. The Yankees and Red Sox have different expectations than the Marlins. Standards are set higher IMO.

Why shouldn't AU fans be allowed to have high expectations? Great school, great facilities, great fanbase, great history... There are no schools that are successful 100% of the time but for many schools, such as Auburn, these things do run in cycles. Would I want "us" to act like uat fans or thUGA fans? Of course not. But I don't see anything wrong with high expectations if the team you root for is capable. Gus has proven capable. The players have proven capable. The coaching staff has proven capable. And I expect that no matter how high OUR expectations may be......the TEAM'S expectations lap us tenfold.

Yes there are those who are just negative fans. They may be negative people in general... but many (I like to believe most) of us fans will always have high expectations of our team. If we didn't have those expectations, I can promise you Jordan-Hare Stadium would only be as large as Davis-Wade Stadium...

The biggest point I would make is that for the 4 games of last year, I thought Prosch looked awful to put it simply. He was missing blocks, looked out of his league as far as what reads he was making. From that point on, it was night and day. I expect similar this year. I know that Fulse is a different player but I don't think its all that outlandish to think that it takes some adjustments through the year to figure out what you are doing in this offense.

Just my 2 cents.

Why shouldn't AU fans be allowed to have high expectations? Great school, great facilities, great fanbase, great history... There are no schools that are successful 100% of the time but for many schools, such as Auburn, these things do run in cycles. Would I want "us" to act like uat fans or thUGA fans? Of course not. But I don't see anything wrong with high expectations if the team you root for is capable. Gus has proven capable. The players have proven capable. The coaching staff has proven capable. And I expect that no matter how high OUR expectations may be......the TEAM'S expectations lap us tenfold.

Yes there are those who are just negative fans. They may be negative people in general... but many (I like to believe most) of us fans will always have high expectations of our team. If we didn't have those expectations, I can promise you Jordan-Hare Stadium would only be as large as Davis-Wade Stadium...

I think I get what you're going for, and if I'm understanding your correctly, I agree; we SHOULD have high expectations. After all, this is Auburn, one of the traditional powers (and the reigning champion) of the strongest conference in the country. I don't even think it's so much to expect that we win at least 9-10 games every year...so long as we don't let ourselves become that which we hate: a fan base dominated by front runners who give up on the team when things start going poorly (like the way bammers would wear their crimson proudly for the first half of the season, then let it disappear into the closet as the stretch run exposed them for being mediocre).

In other words, we should never be satisfied with less than greatness, but we should also never stop representing Auburn with class and enthusiasm even if greatness isn't there on the football field.

I think I get what you're going for, and if I'm understanding your correctly, I agree; we SHOULD have high expectations. After all, this is Auburn, one of the traditional powers (and the reigning champion) of the strongest conference in the country. I don't even think it's so much to expect that we win at least 9-10 games every year...so long as we don't let ourselves become that which we hate: a fan base dominated by front runners who give up on the team when things start going poorly (like the way bammers would wear their crimson proudly for the first half of the season, then let it disappear into the closet as the stretch run exposed them for being mediocre).

In other words, we should never be satisfied with less than greatness, but we should also never stop representing Auburn with class and enthusiasm even if greatness isn't there on the football field.

Bravo!

You read me loud and clear! I mean, I feel that I'm very fortunate that, growing up loving football, I was brought up in an Auburn household. We are very fortunate people indeed to have such a quality product MOST of the time. I mean..imagine growing up a football fan in a Vandy household!!! :brickwall:

Gus is not sandbagging. If you look at last year we ran a lot of formations but we didn't really run that many different plays. Execution in the O-Line and at H-back is what is hurting us. On the plays where we los yardage or had no gain it wasn't the whole unit failing it was a missed block by one of the guys or a bad choice and blocking the wrong guy. Hopefully the O-Line team chemistry is improving and we will see fewer missed blocks this weekend.

Archived