Jumbo Package

FASTCOMPANY

I think CGM will put an extra emphasis on the running game tomorrow. Does anyone see us playing Braden Smith as an "extra" TE? The same way we used S. Coleman last year. Thoughts...

I think CGM will put an extra emphasis on the running game tomorrow. Does anyone see us playing Braden Smith as an "extra" TE? The same way we used S. Coleman last year. Thoughts...

I would't be the least bit surprised to see B. Smith as a third TE and Monty Adams (a la Fridge Perry) as the fullback in limited action for a jumbo set...

What? Is Cameron Toney panning out?

Don't think anyone outside of the team knows at this point.

Gus has put special emphasis on the running game all year in my opinion almost to a fault. I don't think this week will be any different than other weeks except possibly how we do it. I would like to see a couple more passes on first down to loosen things up but that's just me.

Gus has put special emphasis on the running game all year in my opinion almost to a fault. I don't think this week will be any different than other weeks except possibly how we do it. I would like to see a couple more passes on first down to loosen things up but that's just me.

That's essentially who he is...and note that most first down passes are swings or quick hitters to the WR behind the line.

It will probably be next year before we know how he does on offense. Changes take time.

It will probably be next year before we know how he does on offense. Changes take time.

I don't know...with Chandler Cox committed already, I'm not sure they would have moved Toney unless they thought he could contribute to the offense this year. Well, that is unless he just wasn't showing any sign of being able to break into the rotation at linebacker over the next couple of seasons, anyway...which is a possibility, considering that both starters and the top backup are juniors, and the other backup is a true freshman, with Davis waiting in the wings and a couple of good looking prospects already committed. :dunno:

NOT just you.

I have no worry about the run game. The OL is still a work in progress but are very capable of getting it together. Toney may be more about spelling Brandon and allowing him to spell CJ at TE. Just increasing the rotation. We probably won't have much problem running today considering LSU run defense has be non-existent. WDE

I don't know...with Chandler Cox committed already, I'm not sure they would have moved Toney unless they thought he could contribute to the offense this year. Well, that is unless he just wasn't showing any sign of being able to break into the rotation at linebacker over the next couple of seasons, anyway...which is a possibility, considering that both starters and the top backup are juniors, and the other backup is a true freshman, with Davis waiting in the wings and a couple of good looking prospects already committed. :dunno:

I would've expected Cox to redshirt being only 225 as a FB.

I would've expected Cox to redshirt being only 225 as a FB.

That's not a bad point, and it certainly wouldn't be horrible to have two guys who are primarily blockers to play that position. Not to mention that it isn't too common for fullbacks to go pro early, so Cox isn't exactly one we'd have to be concerned with not getting as much use out of his eligibility as possible.

I do still think Toney can make an impact on offense this season, though, if the move sticks. Mikey certainly makes a good point, because it can be very difficult to pick up responsibilities at a new position (particularly when those responsibilities are as drastically different as the move from defense to offense), but the mentality of looking for contact is similar enough that he should be able to at least have a package of plays that he can make a difference with.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. A couple of us wonder aloud about Braden at TE/HB and boom, it happens.

*Maybe Nick Marshall can get more touch on his short passes.*

*Maybe we can get a 4-man pass rush going.*

*Maybe we will continue running the ball in the red zone.*

:)

Wow. A couple of us wonder aloud about Braden at TE/HB and boom, it happens.

I wonder if we can go back to being unstoppable on O, winning to the SECCG, and getting back to the playoffs/championship. Now Gus needs to come through with the "BOOM!".

I would't be the least bit surprised to see B. Smith as a third TE and Monty Adams (a la Fridge Perry) as the fullback in limited action for a jumbo set...

Gus said, in his press conference, that he DID use Smith as an extra tight end, ala Coleman and thought he played well.

Gus said, in his press conference, that he DID use Smith as an extra tight end, ala Coleman and thought he played well.

I posed this question a week too soon; I guess. IMHO, we could have definitely used him more, to seal that outside. SC didn't have his best game Saturday..

Wt

Is a jersey # in the 90s eligible for a pass reception.

Yes, but where he lines up is just as (if not more) important than his number. But to answer your question, yes 90 is an eligible number.

i know the eligible positions. Until recently i thought a player could report to the official despite #. I almost argued it with war tiger about it.

Wt

Yes, but where he lines up is just as (if not more) important than his number. But to answer your question, yes 90 is an eligible number.

i know the eligible positions. Until recently i thought a player could report to the official despite #. I almost argued it with war tiger about it.

I honestly didn't think there was a number forbidden to recieve a pass. I have seen Linemen go out for a pass in some trick plays where they line up off the line but look like a lineman.

Wt

I honestly didn't think there was a number forbidden to recieve a pass. I have seen Linemen go out for a pass in some trick plays where they line up off the line but look like a lineman.

i thought i had too. Not in ncaa. I remember a bammer tackle catching a td in a bowl game but i went back and searched, he went wide and backed up so it was a lateral.

I'd like to see some normal run plays what happened to the misdirection , buck sweep, how bout some option (triple).

my cable was out yesterday so all i could watch was dvr. i went through the game again. in the 3rd we gave ricardo a jet sweep for 11-12 yard gain. verne or gary said it was the only one we had ran the whole game. i dont know if that was right but if we only did it once and it worked that well then that is not good.

Archived