Will Duke and Sammie go Pro?

Tiger Vision

IMO, they both stay. Duke's catching ability are as good as anybody in the country. He struggles with running crisp routes and blocking. He needs more quality coaching. Coates has not been healthy for the first half of the season. I think he has more to prove and with JJ throwing next year he can prove how good he really is.

Its hard to run crisp routes when your QB can't throw a good ball

Which in my opinion increases his draft stock. It's one thing for a receiver to catch one in stride. It's another to catch anything thrown in his general direction.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DTR, route running has nothing to do with where the ball is delivered. Nick Marshall has no impact on whether you get in and out of breaks quickly and fluidly. So on both points (route running being dependent on the "quality" of the ball on the back end of the route and Nick being unable to make good throws) you're wrong.

DTR, route running has nothing to do with where the ball is delivered. Nick Marshall has no impact on whether you get in and out of breaks quickly and fluidly. So on both points (route running being dependent on the "quality" of the ball on the back end of the route and Nick being unable to make good throws) you're wrong.

If he ran a completely accurate route half the time, the ball would be 10 feet away from him, he ran pretty decent routes when he had an accurate QB throwing to him in his first game, I could only imagine how he'd look now.

And Nick is definitely unable to throw a good ball consistently, if you're arguing this in 2014, you're out your dang mind.

I wish there was a game that we threw it to Duke 15-18 times. I remember when LSU had Josh Reed back in 2001, they threw it to him every other play against Alabama in Tuscaloosa. They couldn't stop him. Duke is that kinda talent that I wish we could get the ball to him until defenses stopped it. Screens, slants, out-routes, out-and-ups, deep balls, whatever it takes.

One big thing to consider: the NFL is no longer going to grade out a player that they project to be drafted late. They're only grading as 1.) First round; 2.) Second round; 3.) Not First or Second. http://www.nfl.com/n...rclassmen-issue

That means for guys hoping to go in the middle rounds, they're going to have a lot less confidence in the decision to leave.

Duke is a heck of a talent, but right now he wouldn't be taken in the first two rounds. Just my theory, but as a WR in most college offenses it's difficult to get the exposure necessary to warrant a high pick in just one year. I think Coates would/will see his draft stock climb from his combine results (much like Dee Ford) but it would make me pretty nervous to chance it after a season with a nagging injury and some bad drops. I say they both return.

12 receivers went in the first 2 rounds last year. This year's crop is pretty much just as deep at that position. There's not 11 receivers better than Duke Williams playing college football right now. 6-2 220 with hands like glue and a tremendous catch radius? A tough competitor. Trust me, there are about 32 NFL head coaches that would love to get their hands on this guy. He's raw but physically superior. He's better than a lot of the guys starting on Sundays right now. We all want him to come back, but he's gone.

I agree, Duke bails Nick out pretty often so I think that actually improves his draft stock.

Isnt this exactly what Evans did for JFootball at A&M last year. Jf would throw the ball up and Evans would go and get it....

I wish there was a game that we threw it to Duke 15-18 times. I remember when LSU had Josh Reed back in 2001, they threw it to him every other play against Alabama in Tuscaloosa. They couldn't stop him. Duke is that kinda talent that I wish we could get the ball to him until defenses stopped it. Screens, slants, out-routes, out-and-ups, deep balls, whatever it takes.

I don't think we have the offensive personell to be effective throwing to him 15x. I think we would have too many incompletions and waste downs, personally. Its really unfortunate that we aren't going to see Duke maximize his statistical potential this year, or at all if he leaves after this year. He legitimately could be the first WR taken if he stays one more year with JJ making him look good.

Whatever, I concede. You guys are right. Nick Marshall is holding back the whole operation. If we'd just replace him, then you'd really be able to see our talent shine through.

I agree, Duke bails Nick out pretty often so I think that actually improves his draft stock.

Isnt this exactly what Evans did for JFootball at A&M last year. Jf would throw the ball up and Evans would go and get it....

True, and it certainly played a role in Evans being drafted so high.

Whatever, I concede. You guys are right. Nick Marshall is holding back the whole operation. If we'd just replace him, then you'd really be able to see our talent shine through.

I did not say that NM should be replaced. Its not what I'm saying. But isn't it obvious that a more accurate QB would make WRs look better in terms of stats? Just like it would hinder our RBs if we had a pocket passer that allowed defenses to key on the RBs instead of having to be aware of a running QB beating them like NM does.

I dont think NM even threw it 15x total last week and thats why the offense was so great against SC. If anybody thinks opposing coaches aren't hoping NM passes more they are wrong, IMO. Freeze would love it if NM threw 15x to Duke this week. It maximizes Ole Miss' chances to win if thats the case.

JMO but seems that lots of people don't realize how big a step it is from the SEC to the NFL.

Right now, I doubt Sammie could even make it past the 53 player cut and Duke is not particularly fast and would have to hit with the right team to get much playing time. Duke is a good possession receiver and willing to take a hit to catch the ball which is valuable....and since I don't think he will get any faster by next year...if the money is right, he should probably go...which was pretty much preordained when he signed anyway.

But...if Sammie were to leave, I think he will up like Adams...maybe not as well. Hope some folks with a realistic view of the NFL will be in his ear to keep him from making a big mistake.

I think you're kidding yourself on how fast you need to be to prosper in the NFL. Jerry Rice was a borderline 4.5 guy. Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.63. Anquan Boldin is slower than some dudes backpedaling. Kelvin Benjamin ran a 4.61 last year and went in the first round. If you think Duke is too slow for the NFL, you're kidding yourself. He's a heck of a lot more than a middling possession WR.

And Tiger, it's a different thing to say: (1) Nick Marshall can't accurately deliver the ball (as DTR did); as opposed to (2) opposing coaches would prefer to make Nick Marshall throw. The second thing says less about his ability to throw the ball than it does about his supreme ability to run the ball and orchestrate a running game. If you think the first, we just disagree. If you think the second, I completely agree.

And Tiger, it's a different thing to say: (1) Nick Marshall can't accurately deliver the ball (as DTR did); as opposed to (2) opposing coaches would prefer to make Nick Marshall throw. The second thing says less about his ability to throw the ball than it does about his supreme ability to run the ball and orchestrate a running game. If you think the first, we just disagree. If you think the second, I completely agree.

I think they go hand in hand to some extent, but to say NM CAN'T throw an accurate ball is off base. He CAN, he's just inconsistent in doing so. It also gets magnified because we usually blow one scoring play per game (sometimes its Coates not running his route all the way through, though and it makes it look like an overthrow). When NM throws it gives the defense a better chance at success vs when hes operating the run game because I don't think there is a better QB on the ground in the country than NM, IMO.

I said he can't do it consinstely and that runs directly into the second thing. Every coach in the SEC, in the NCAA knows that Marshall cannot throw a good ball consisntely, what are you even arguing at this point? Lashlee and Malzahn deluded themseles into thinking they could somehow combine intermediate-deep passes into Marshall's arsenal 25-30 times a game, and changed the plan this week once they realized it can't happen.

Tell me anything different

I think each need another year to have the kind of numbers needed to be a first round pick. Right now, each would be no more than a 3rd or 4th round pick. I still think that Tre Mason would have been a 1st round pick if he had come back for his senior year.

I think each need another year to have the kind of numbers needed to be a first round pick. Right now, each would be no more than a 3rd or 4th round pick. I still think that Tre Mason would have been a 1st round pick if he had come back for his senior year.

There's nothing else Duke can prove, he's at a perfect frame for his style of play, and scouts have the Arkansas game to look at to see if he can catch balls in stride. Numbers aren't the problem here and they weren't with Tre. Tre couldn't have gotten any bigger or it would've affected it his speed (plus he's short), he couldn't have gotten any taller (his dad's relatively short), and working on pass blocking isn't worth taking that big a chance, especially on a lesser OL.

Plus this draft has Melvin Gordon, Ameer Abdullah, Todd Gurley, possibly Yeldon, Tevin Coleman, Connor from Pittsburgh, amongst others. Tre wasn't going 1st round, with the first 3 sitting there.

Not to mention RBs don't really get taken in the 1st rd anymore. And there was a slim chance Tre would've been able to duplicate his bonkers rushing stats. And with the short shelf life of RBs he added an extra year of paid football to his career. I'm sure that was a deciding factor. Didn't Ben Tate say he wished he played safety in college so he could make more money and play for longer than at running back?

JMO but seems that lots of people don't realize how big a step it is from the SEC to the NFL.

Right now, I doubt Sammie could even make it past the 53 player cut and Duke is not particularly fast and would have to hit with the right team to get much playing time. Duke is a good possession receiver and willing to take a hit to catch the ball which is valuable....and since I don't think he will get any faster by next year...if the money is right, he should probably go...which was pretty much preordained when he signed anyway.

But...if Sammie were to leave, I think he will up like Adams...maybe not as well. Hope some folks with a realistic view of the NFL will be in his ear to keep him from making a big mistake.

64 if you don't mind me asking, do you watch any NFL at all?

I've read somewhere that Duke's intentions were to go pro. Whether that's at the end of this year or not is obviously debatable. He reminds me of a guy that I played football with in high school who went on to be a receiver for an arena team in the grand scheme of things(couldn't learn the plays as a Tampa Bay Buccaneer). Meaning, he's probably trying to get to the pros as fast as possible after coming up through JUCO...

I've read somewhere that Duke's intentions were to go pro. Whether that's at the end of this year or not is obviously debatable. He reminds me of a guy that I played football with in high school who went on to be a receiver for an arena team in the grand scheme of things(couldn't learn the plays as a Tampa Bay Buccaneer). Meaning, he's probably trying to get to the pros as fast as possible after coming up through JUCO...

I'm sure he came to a run-first team in Auburn so he wouldn't have to learn as much routes and the such as he would at an air raid team like Texas Tech or Wazzu...not all receivers make that adaptation learning wise

IMO, Coates is now a second round pick at best. I suspect his stock has been sinking with every pass he drops, and he is just not getting much experience with route trees common in the NFL. Of course, that can be said of a lot of college receivers, and Coates has speed and size, so his upside might be perceived as a positive.

I expect Amari Cooper to come out early and and Dorial Green-Beckham to enter the draft. Kevin White (WVU), Ty Montgomery (Stanford), Josh Harper (Fresno St), Rashaad Greene (FSU), DeVante Parker (Louisville) and Levi Norwood (Baylor), all seniors, will be in the mix. If Funchess (Michigan), Strong (Ariz St) and Agholor (USC) enter early, they would probably be high considerations as well.

I'm not sure where Duke fits into this. My impression is that he'd be a more attractive pick than Sammie, but where would he fit on the NFL team boards? Would he be placed higher than any of those other guys? Maybe. A first rounder? Probably not.

The question for both of them is, would coming back for another year help their draft prospects? Auburn could have a better passing game next year with either JJ or SW at QB.

I think it's too soon to tell. There are big games coming up. Either one of them could break out with some impressive play.

No question Duke will have the chance next year to significantly raise his draft stock. Can the coaches convince him of this enough? I believe we would probably get an insurance policy for him....

No question Duke will have the chance next year to significantly raise his draft stock. Can the coaches convince him of this enough? I believe we would probably get an insurance policy for him....

There's plenty of question. Will the new center be effective? Will our RBs be able to pass block? Will our coaching staff return intact? Will Jeremy Johnson actually progress as we expect him to as a full-time SEC starter? Will a better year statistically matter to NFL scouts who already know what he's capable of? What about the most obvious, injury? This guy doesn't seem interested in replacing a football career with an insurance claim, regardless of any monetary discrepancies:

Archived