Will Duke and Sammie go Pro?

Tiger Vision

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dukes gone. You drop much for not being a good blocker at wr. Do NFL teams even run anymore? It seems only a few do it. He will be a 1-2 round pick imo. Bad combine a 3rd.

Sammie has had a crummy year. Hurt, drops he should comeback but has the combine potential and physical ability to be top 4 round pick still if a team likes him.

I've seen a few folks mention a couple other WRs who might get drafted really highly, but consider that in the most recent draft, 5 WRs went in the first round (including 2 in the top 10, 3 in the top 12 and 4 in the top 20). Another 7 went in the 2nd round, with 3 going in the first half of it. Jarvis Landry went at 63rd overall- the 12th WR chosen- and these are the details of his contract:

http://overthecap.com/player/jarvis-landry/3002/

I'll be surprised to see Duke stay, and I'll also be surprised to see Sammie leave.

I'm not convinced Duke is a first round guy in this particular draft. Amari Cooper will be the first guy off the board. Kevin White has looked absolutely amazing. The Parker kid at Louisville is getting a lot of love. Plus, there are safe guys like Rashad Greene at FSU, who will be a very good and niche player right away. Duke fits in with those guys, but I could see him being the fifth or sixth guy off the board, which puts him in the second round.

Sammie isn't ready for the NFL. He's physically gifted enough, but his hands were already a question mark. They've become even more of a question mark this year. He drops one per week. He's out of sync in the deep passing game. No one is drafting him to be a possession WR. Barring a crazy finish or a suspect decision, he'll be back.

They're both gone. Who will JJ be throwing to next year?

That's a MUCH more fun conversation: Ricardo Louis, Jaylon Denson, Marcus Davis, Tony Stevens, Stanton Truitt, Melvin Ray, Myron Burton, Dominic Walker, maybe Jason Smith/D'Anfernee McGriff/Jalen Harris.... John Burt, Christian Kirk and/or Kirk Merritt if we're really lucky....

IMO, they both stay. Duke's catching ability are as good as anybody in the country. He struggles with running crisp routes and blocking. He needs more quality coaching. Coates has not been healthy for the first half of the season. I think he has more to prove and with JJ throwing next year he can prove how good he really is.

IMO, they both stay. Duke's catching ability are as good as anybody in the country. He struggles with running crisp routes and blocking. He needs more quality coaching. Coates has not been healthy for the first half of the season. I think he has more to prove and with JJ throwing next year he can prove how good he really is.

100% agree with this!

I don't think Duke changes his mind. He has said from the get go that he's leaving after this year regardless. Sammie will stay. Our WR corps will be stacked if Sammie decides to stay.

If you're not getting at least a 3rd-4th round grade you don't leave. I don't think with Duke or Sammie's talent level that they should leave without at least a 2nd round grade. Thats a lot of guaranteed money to be left on the table for guys that have 1st round talent.

Here's hoping that they stick around..

With Johnson taking over next year, they will get a lot more opportunities to break out and impress.

Johnson will not be a ZONE READ Option guy. He is more the prototypical NFL type QB. That translates to more of a passing game, though we will be strong in the running game as well.

Also should keep in mind that Duke's personal circle is probably going to count against his draft stock. Teams are putting more emphasis on character (Hernandez??) and if his JUCO coach said that he didn't know if he would ever come back when he would visit home for funerals due to fear of Duke RETALIATNG...well thats a red flag. But I guess that concern will still be there this year or next year.

Also should keep in mind that Duke's personal circle is probably going to count against his draft stock. Teams are putting more emphasis on character (Hernandez??) and if his JUCO coach said that he didn't know if he would ever come back when he would visit home for funerals due to fear of Duke RETALIATNG...well thats a red flag. But I guess that concern will still be there this year or next year.

Do you have a link for any of this?

Do you have a link for any of this?

I am using my phone, but here is the copy/paste:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/10/dhaquille_williams_chose_futur.html

Barring unforeseen events, I will be very (pleasantly mind you) surprised if Duke is back next year. He's been a one and done candidate from the start and I just don't see him coming back just to work on some of the finer points of the position at AU. Almost all the players drafted have some issues they can improve on but take it to the next level to get fine tuned- Duke is no exception. Sammie on the other hand? Complete toss up for me at this point. Guess we'll see how the season plays out and how the injury situation goes.

One big thing to consider: the NFL is no longer going to grade out a player that they project to be drafted late. They're only grading as 1.) First round; 2.) Second round; 3.) Not First or Second. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000365987/article/nfl-implementing-changes-to-address-underclassmen-issue

That means for guys hoping to go in the middle rounds, they're going to have a lot less confidence in the decision to leave.

Duke is a heck of a talent, but right now he wouldn't be taken in the first two rounds. Just my theory, but as a WR in most college offenses it's difficult to get the exposure necessary to warrant a high pick in just one year. I think Coates would/will see his draft stock climb from his combine results (much like Dee Ford) but it would make me pretty nervous to chance it after a season with a nagging injury and some bad drops. I say they both return.

I think both will be gone. Sammies numbers this year are not as good as last years but people know enough to know he is legit. The plus side for both is that they would go to the combine and absolutely blow up. I see first for Duke and no worse than 3rd for sammie. All I can say is thank you.

They are both absolutely gone. Duke has been gone from the minute he stepped on campus, it would have taken a serious letdown of a season to change that. Sammie was very very close to declaring after last year. Part of me thinks he wants money to help out Kinsey.

Its hard to run crisp routes when your QB can't throw a good ball

Archived