Marine held in Mexico has been released

cooltigger21

AUUSN, your links and quotes have absolutely NOTHING to do with the current administration's failure to assist Tahmooreisi.

Look, if you are indeed serving in the Navy, I respect that. Since I myself served four years in the active duty Military during difficult times we are even on that score. I did it too, so I owe you nothing more than what you owe me.

Most of your posts, like the above, are off target or simply nonsense. Many are impossible to connect to the topic. The United States Air Force taught me to think before speaking/writing. Why didn't the Navy do the same for you?

Simply nonsense?

Seems to me I'm making an impact because I'm taking flak over the target.

Oh and thanks for your service. I'm a graduate of the Air Command and Staff College and it was a fantastic year.

Obviously, your service will not be appreciated until you reflect the proper political views. To be appreciated, you must make strong anti-Obama statements. That is how you become a hero.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously, your service will not be appreciated until you reflect the proper political views. To be appreciated, you must make strong anti-Obama statements. That is how you become a hero.

Service or not, one's posts become appreciated when they are on topic and have at least one snippet of truth in them.

ICHY has no clue what a hero is.

Aucontraire, being the typical puffed up progressive, he knows everything. I dont even waste my time since he's so disingenuous he even denies it making him arguably the most pathetic hypocrite here.

Service or not, one's posts become appreciated when they are on topic and have at least one snippet of truth in them.

I'm used to being held to a higher standard but come on man!

Based on your precious criteria, 90% of posts here would be unappreciated.

Why do we keep referring to this guy as a Marine? Does it matter? He was a civilian when he crossed a border with a small arsenal and tried to escape a foreign jail. Why does his occupation weigh into this? I don't know why the potus didn't demand his release but I don't think he would have helped me either in that situation.

Why do we keep referring to this guy as a Marine? Does it matter? He was a civilian when he crossed a border with a small arsenal and tried to escape a foreign jail. Why does his occupation weigh into this? I don't know why the potus didn't demand his release but I don't think he would have helped me either in that situation.

He's a veteran of 2 tours in Afghanistan and suffering from PTSD. The fact that he's a marine veteran matters to me especially in light of one ill advised trade of 5 high level Taliban operatives for one deserter. One served his country honorably and was totally ignored. The other walked off his post and the obama admin was willing to try moving heaven and earth to secure his return.

I never agreed with the release or trade for deserter. The two situations are totally separate. One was active duty in war. One was home on his own. The way this guy is being talked about as a Marine makes it sound as if he was active and sent on a mission when he got arrested.

I never agreed with the release or trade for deserter. The two situations are totally separate. One was active duty in war. One was home on his own. The way this guy is being talked about as a Marine makes it sound as if he was active and sent on a mission when he got arrested.

Not in my opinion and while it is correct that he is a veteran the only reason for so many to be so disappointed with his treatment is this admin consistent duplicity about everything. There is no consistency because the fact of the matter is, the guy could have been out of that Mexican prison in 48 hours or less if any effort had been applied to the situation. You also seem blind to the fact that many Mexicans, including Mexicans with guns, are routinely caught and not incarcerated in the U.S. but rather only turned around and sent back to Mexico. The guy made an honest mistake that in no way warranted being incarcerated in a Mexican prison for 210 days and, in the end, the Mexican Judge who adjudicated the case agreed.

You have to paint him that way in order to use him for political purposes. How many veterans are in our own jails for minor offenses that could be related to PTSD? Is anyone calling for their release?

You have to paint him that way in order to use him for political purposes. How many veterans are in our own jails for minor offenses that could be related to PTSD? Is anyone calling for their release?

A bunch:

Five Finger Death Punch - Wrong Side Of Heaven:

i know one right now. He was in jail for three months i think. He needed to be in jail for what he did. But he is in need of treatment for ptsd\alcoholism and can't get it approved. If we are

complaining about treatment for veterans lets fund thier medical needs when they get home.

i know one right now. He was in jail for three months i think. He needed to be in jail for what he did. But he is in need of treatment for ptsd\alcoholism and can't get it approved. If we are

complaining about treatment for veterans lets fund thier medical needs when they get home.

I know a Vietnam vet who is in jail for one year right now. When he is sober, he is one of the kindest people I know. When he has flashbacks, he drinks to excess, does usually harmless, self-destructive things. He has received some VA help but, was denied full blown, long term treatment for alcoholism. He was caught by the police riding his motorcycle in an open field. However, because he was within 500 feet of a state highway, he was given a DUI. I wonder, will we pay more for his incarceration than we would for his treatment? Which would likely be more effective?

All that is well and good but completely over looks the FACT that the guy simply made a wrong turn. He didn't hurt anyone, nor was he breaking ANY laws when he took a wrong turn. Now, I realize there are those here who prefer to cast everything and everyone as a political pawn but Tahmoreesi issn't a law breaker. I understand mexico has gun laws but he didn't try to hide them and actually advised them that he was armed. He is NOT a law breaker and its pretty weak sauce he would be cast as such trying to justify this admin's totally lack of engagement on the issue.

All that is well and good but completely over looks the FACT that the guy simply made a wrong turn. He didn't hurt anyone, nor was he breaking ANY laws when he took a wrong turn. Now, I realize there are those here who prefer to cast everything and everyone as a political pawn but Tahmoreesi issn't a law breaker. I understand mexico has gun laws but he didn't try to hide them and actually advised them that he was armed. He is NOT a law breaker and its pretty weak sauce he would be cast as such trying to justify this admin's totally lack of engagement on the issue.

Entering Mexico with weapons is not a crime? I'm sure the government there will be glad to know. You can assert that he accidentally broke the law but, to say he absolutely did not break the law, is a lie.

Actually he was a law breaker. Maybe unintentionally. But he was in violation.

As a result of an honest mistake. He was NOT breaking any law when he mistakenly took the wrong lane and couldn't get out of it. BTW, that situation has been addressed, as a result of this unfortunate sequence of events, and it has been fixed so that there is a way to change lanes now whereas before he was funneled into Mexico w/o any purposeful intention of being there. I really am at a loss that people here are so unwilling to see the OBVIOUS difference here than other veterans incarcerated for reasons that justify it.

Laslty, whatever violation Tahmoressi was allegedly guilty of did not justify 210 days of abuse in a Mexican prison.

As a result of an honest mistake. He was NOT breaking any law when he mistakenly took the wrong lane and couldn't get out of it. BTW, that situation has been addressed, as a result of this unfortunate sequence of events, and it has been fixed so that there is a way to change lanes now whereas before he was funneled into Mexico w/o any purposeful intention of being there. I really am at a loss that people here are so unwilling to see the OBVIOUS difference here than other veterans incarcerated for reasons that justify it.

Laslty, whatever violation Tahmoressi was allegedly guilty of did not justify 210 days of abuse in a Mexican prison.

On this, we agree. "Unfortunately", they are a sovereign country. This is the reason I always feel somewhat uneasy when traveling outside this country. If you are in another country and they say you broke the law, saying, "no I didn't" is probably not going to get you released.

On this, we agree. "Unfortunately", they are a sovereign country. This is the reason I always feel somewhat uneasy when traveling outside this country. If you are in another country and they say you broke the law, saying, "no I didn't" is probably not going to get you released.

that is my point. I hate this happened to anyone. Marine,teacher,autoworker, banker,it's unfortunate. But shouldn't be likened to negotiating the release of a pow, even a deserter.

that is my point. I hate this happened to anyone. Marine,teacher,autoworker, banker,it's unfortunate. But shouldn't be likened to negotiating the release of a pow, even a deserter.

I agree, except maybe for "banker". That is my own bias though and I acknowledge it.

It should be likened to simply doing the right thing regardless of his military service which BTW was honorable. The reason for my heart burn is an opinion that the reason for this admin's inaction was simply due to there being no political capital to be drawn from doing anything so they didn't do anything. I have a problem with putting politics above everything and, IMO, its pretty hard to make a convincing argument this admin doesn't do that. No way to convince me the guy deserved 210 days of abuse in a Mexican prison

It should be likened to simply doing the right thing regardless of his military service which BTW was honorable. The reason for my heart burn is an opinion that the reason for this admin's inaction was simply due to there being no political capital to be drawn from doing anything so they didn't do anything. I have a problem with putting politics above everything and, IMO, its pretty hard to make a convincing argument this admin doesn't do that. No way to convince me the guy deserved 210 days of abuse in a Mexican prison

If that is true, I would agree. However, I am equally aware to the "political capital" invested through the criticism. What I would like is, for both the left and the right to make quality decisions regardless of political cost or opportunity. What would amaze me at this point, would be a cooperative effort by the left and the right, not publicize, but to seek resolution, to seek neither credit nor blame. Yes, I am fully aware of how naive that sounds.

Archived