My Media Prediction

Erik81

Never before has a preseason number one and number two met for the national title. This is a big story to anyone inside or outside of the college football world. Preseason darlings-both with two Heisman candidates. :puke:

Ever since the Alabama game it has been apparent that we would not go to the OB regardless of what we did to Tenn and what USC did to UCLA and Oklahoma to Colorado outside of a loss. Ever since then the media has downplayed us to add emphasis on the OB-"the best national title game ever". ESPN has downplayed us and I think that building up the OB was their motive. I don't believe that Corso, who has been by us all year, believes that Oklahoma is better than us-maybe even USC. He is doing what media people do-which is build things up. Who in their right mind would jump ship after standing by us all year after we have just beaten Tennessee in Atlanta?

I predict that if/when we beat VT-maybe after the OB, that the media will come back around and start standing by us as co-champions or create a big controversy because they will have worn out the "best national title game ever" story and after the game, they will need somewhere to go. I'm not saying that we will split the title in the polls, (maybe that's what the media wants to add fuel to the fire-us not getting a piece of it) just that there will be alot more media coverage of us after it all with more media people coming to our side.

Erik,

I hope you're right but I have the sinking feeling that our situation will become a distant memory to those outside the Auburn fanbase just as it has with teams like Penn State and Miami, who were given the BCS shaft. When was the last time you saw a story about the 94 Penn State team prior to Auburn getting the royal shaft this season?

:(

that's true, but with everyone already hating the BCS, and the mess it was last year leaving two champs, I think the media will not sit on this story after the national championship game

Good point Erik,

The media is a fickle monster and once they have exhausted the national title game they will need another story to write about. The BCS has rubbed everyone(Big12 excluded <_< ) the wrong way at least once, and everyone is clamoring for its demise. I would not be surprised if we began to see stories come back after our VA. Tech game.

Va. Tech :ald: Va. Tech

Either way it will still be great to be an Auburn Tiger

I saw the latest issue of Sports Illustrated today. Do you think they gave all three teams equal coverage? No! On the cover: USC beating UCLA. Auburn got one of those 'flaps' you sometimes see on the cover. The main story was about USC's season from what I can tell. Even OU got a side story added on. Just wanted to share that...

I would agree with StatTiger. Our season is becoming a footnote to the Orange Bowl. Future ESPN "Did You Know": in 2004, Auburn, Boise State, and Utah also went undefeated. Ooh, wow, okay. Meanwhile the OB makes list of Top Ten greatest CFB title games. <_<:thumbsdown: That sort of thing.

Erik,

I hope you're right but I have the sinking feeling that our situation will become a distant memory to those outside the Auburn fanbase just as it has with teams like Penn State and Miami, who were given the BCS shaft. When was the last time you saw a story about the 94 Penn State team prior to Auburn getting the royal shaft this season?

:(

131811[/snapback]

Although I feel you could very well be right, there are some differences.

1. No one felt bad for psu because the rose bowl thought their crap didn't stink and refused to join the bcs the first year. IMO, the rose bowl champ didn't deserve a share of the title that year.

2. Miami was a one loss team from a pathetically weak conference.

3. Our best shot at a split title lies with usc winning the ob and us beating va. tech convincingly (not saying we will, but we certainly could). vt damn near beat usc and that could help us out.

I have also had the same thoughts as eric, although I am far from convinced it is a done deal. If we take care of business against usc, there could be a media push for a split crown. If there is one freaking ounce of fairness in the whole freaking world we would get it if the cards fall right. If not, oh well, it's only college football!

There is no doubt in my mind that several key media people turned their backs on us not out of conviction, but to support the BCS, for whatever scummy reasons they have. It is possible that after all the bcs $$$$ are in the bank we could get some favorable treatment (IF we take care of business, of course.

We're going to find out what kind of grit and fire this Auburn team has in the Sugar Bowl. It would be so easy to be let down and demoralized.

I hope they take the tack that, "We gotta' show the world what we are" and beat the stew out of VT. I'll take 63 - 0.

On the subject of split titles this year, it ain't gonna' happen. The AP will toe the line.

I trust our team to show up more than ready to play.

I think a split is unlikely but possible. It would probably take a very impressive bowl showing by damn near all the sec teams we beat and us winning the sugar bowl handily. If they deny us after that then #### every one of em :lol: . It's just college football thank goodness.

If we win the Sugar Bowl, I'm going to make my own t-shirt that says, AU 2004 National Champions.

132056[/snapback]

:noevil::noevil::noevil:

Archived