AU Marching Band

wardmiller

AU Marching Band to Perform in Presidential Inauguration Parade - The Auburn University Marching Band has been chosen to represent the State of Alabama at the Inaugural Parade of President George W. Bush in Washington, D.C. on Thursday, January 20, 2005. This will mark the second time in the past 16 years that the Auburn Band has represented the state in this prestigious event.

(Not football related per se, but I know there's a lot of politcally-minded folks on here, and I figured I'd annouce this. WAR EAGLE!)

the problem with this is that we will be missing 4 days of school............that wouldnt be a problem if i was in some pansy liberal arts stuff but these 5000 level classes in EE should be a real blast to catch up on. But still i have never been to DC so i guess i better go.........especially on the university's dime

Congrats Ward! I know you folks put in a lot of hard work. Continue to make AUBURN Proud ! ! !

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

AU Marching Band to Perform in Presidential Inauguration Parade - The Auburn University Marching Band has been chosen to represent the State of Alabama at the Inaugural Parade of President George W. Bush in Washington, D.C. on Thursday, January 20, 2005.  This will mark the second time in the past 16 years that the Auburn Band has represented the state in this prestigious event.

131842[/snapback]

Congratulations to Auburn University and the AUMB! This is definately the Sugar (maybe Orange) Bowl for marching bands.

Virginia Tech's Regimental band, the Highty Tighties will also be performing in the Inagural Parade. It will be thier 11th appearance in the parade, which they won 'best in show' every time until the parade was ruled uncompetitive. Unfortunately, they will not be in attendence at the Sugar Bowl, as the University will be represented by the civilian marching band, the Marching Virginians.

20040928085604953_1.jpg

The Highty Tighties lead the cadet regiment down Spring Road for the

Corps March-On before the N.C. State game, September 25, 2004.

Do you mean to say that Virginia Tech has 2 different kinds of bands?  The "Highty Tighties" you said? Sounds like a nightmarish underwear predicament!

131946[/snapback]

Yeah, VT used to be all military, but in the 60s and 70s they made participation in the corps voluntary, so now civilian students heavily outnumber cadets. The corps has its own quad, mess hall and training facilities on campus, but they go to classes with the civilian students. The Highty Tighties (HTs) are the band company of the corps, so in the 70's a civilian marching band was formed, called the Marching Virginians (MVs). The MVs number about 300, while the HTs have about 100 members (quality versus quantity is what the HTs say).

And yes, the name Highty Tighties is stupid. It all started in a 1921 parade in honor of French Field Marshall Foch. When passing the reviewing stand, the drum major tossed his mace into the air, but accidentally threw it too far forward to catch. But the mace bounced right back into his hand and he never broke his salute. Foch thought he was showing off and supposedly called him a "hoity-toity". After that, since the band was housed in barracks E, they fell in last for mess. They joked that they were last because they were the only company without a name, so when waiting to get thier growly (food) they would chant "Highty Tighty, Christ Almighty, who the hell are we? Riff ramm, *bleep*, we're from Division E". Eventually the other companies just starting calling them the Highty Tighties.

Ah, band trivia.

20040927083855609_1.jpg

The Highty Tighties Rendering Honors to the Colors, and the Marching Virginians, in white, standing in the background. Where they belong. :big:

Do you mean to say that Virginia Tech has 2 different kinds of bands?  The "Highty Tighties" you said? Sounds like a nightmarish underwear predicament!

131946[/snapback]

Yeah, VT used to be all military, but in the 60s and 70s they made participation in the corps voluntary, so now civilian students heavily outnumber cadets. The corps has its own quad, mess hall and training facilities on campus, but they go to classes with the civilian students. The Highty Tighties (HTs) are the band company of the corps, so in the 70's a civilian marching band was formed, called the Marching Virginians (MVs). The MVs number about 300, while the HTs have about 100 members (quality versus quantity is what the HTs say).

And yes, the name Highty Tighties is stupid. It all started in a 1921 parade in honor of French Field Marshall Foch. When passing the reviewing stand, the drum major tossed his mace into the air, but accidentally threw it too far forward to catch. But the mace bounced right back into his hand and he never broke his salute. Foch thought he was showing off and supposedly called him a "hoity-toity". After that, since the band was housed in barracks E, they fell in last for mess. They joked that they were last because they were the only company without a name, so when waiting to get thier growly (food) they would chant "Highty Tighty, Christ Almighty, who the hell are we? Riff ramm, *bleep*, we're from Division E". Eventually the other companies just starting calling them the Highty Tighties.

Ah, band trivia.

20040927083855609_1.jpg

The Highty Tighties Rendering Honors to the Colors, and the Marching Virginians, in white, standing in the background. Where they belong. :big:

131995[/snapback]

You're reply is a textbook reason for why college football is the greatest sport in the world. Thanks for the info.

Archived