Offensive coaching

BigSammyK

I'm very critical of our defense but Gus is not infallible running our O. All season our play calling in the red zone has not been stellar. We seem to be at a loss as to what to do. With a run/pass threat like NM we should ALWAYS pressure the D with the rollout but we want to either run or stand him like as statue in the pocket. Baffling. Gus is still learning.

Couldn't have said it any better; and if you're not going to roll NM out at least once a possession, then we should run the speed sweep more than once a game to relax the middle for CAP!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That toss was a good play in the redzone....it works for bammer every time. This is when having a good defense comes to play. Also redzone we really really really missed mason. Remember plays where he was hit behind the line and he still made it in?

That toss was a good play in the redzone....it works for bammer every time. This is when having a good defense comes to play. Also redzone we really really really missed mason. Remember plays where he was hit behind the line and he still made it in?

We're missing the blocking of Prosch too. He was a bulldozer at times in front of Trey. With the inability of this OL to impose it's will on people in the run game that alters your playcalling. Also Nick is limited in his thowing, especially with timing routes and things that work well in the red zone. Gus has made some bad calls to be sure but he's working with what he has and it's different than what we had last year.

The particular toss play I'm talking about fulse actually blew his man up I'm no running back and never played but I think mason cuts inside and gets in on that play. CAP ran into his block. Also CAP did get a bit faster but those plays to the outside where they catch him right at the turn mason is gone for a huge gain.

The particular toss play I'm talking about fulse actually blew his man up I'm no running back and never played but I think mason cuts inside and gets in on that play. CAP ran into his block. Also CAP did get a bit faster but those plays to the outside where they catch him right at the turn mason is gone for a huge gain.

Tre was the perfect back for this offense. CAP is good but doesnt have the speed or vision(mostly vision) tre had. Roc might have it. I was not too disappointed he dropped the lateral last night but was very disappointed he didnt make an effort to recover it. I think he disappeared after that.

I won't waste time trying to find it but a concern I posted during the summer was mason was great on getting at least 4 pop on first and second and will our next back (we didn't know who at the time) could duplicate that.

I won't waste time trying to find it but a concern I posted during the summer was mason was great on getting at least 4 pop on first and second and will our next back (we didn't know who at the time) could duplicate that.

I think Roc can be that type of back. Going through the offseason S&C program with coach Russell will help him immensely. Spring practice will help him a lot too.

Guest jojo1515

I think Roc can be that type of back. Going through the offseason S&C program with coach Russell will help him immensely. Spring practice will help him a lot too.

Jovon Robinson. That is all.

If he wins the job great. It makes me no nevermind who it is. Just get the job done.

i have no idea who will win it but i want the guy who can wiggle, squirm, twist and pop thru the 1st level like tre did.

The D has been an embarrassment since the MSU game.

Well at least in 2009 our defense made that sympathy heisman winner quit in the 4th qtr of the ironbowl. That was AUsome to see

They had their issues in 2010 and 2013 but we good d line play and the 2010 team played fantastic defense in the SECCG and the BCSCG. Even last year you could count on them to come up with the critical play to stop the other team.

We needed to convert the early fgs to touchdowns but it wasn't the play calling it was the execution, on 1 series marshall had the WR wide open ( on 3 occasions) and he either missed EM or it was dropped ( near the goal line in the end zone)

Please simmer.

We just drove down the field at will against a #1 ranked Nick Saban-coached Alabama team in Tuscaloosa. If we change offensive coaches, you can kiss that goodbye.

I know that the title can be read in more than one way but I put a lot, if not all, of this loss on our offensive play calling. Sure we gave up 55 points but we also kicked 4 field goals when we had 1st and goal inside their 10 yard line.

I thought some of the play calling on the first few field goals was just awful and then the way Gus handled the timeout at the end of the first half was just embarrassing. We should have had at least two shots at the endzone there but instead we ran one running play that ate up over 20 seconds.

We scored a lot of points tonight but we left a lot on the field and in situations where we could have really broken the game open. Ugh.

You are correct IMO. In order to win this game we needed almost perfect play selection and it wan't there in the red zone. OL played their best game. Very few if any penalties. Those five yarders were due to a receiver staying in the backfield. And one sack I believe in desperation situation. What I'm saying is it wasn't OL problem in red zone. A combination of some bad play calls, bad throws by NM, and drops by receivers. You are correct that we left a lot of points on the field. Maybe 27. Alabama didn't leave any out there. There's you ball game.

Archived