Visitors for 1/16 weekend

War Eagle77

I'll bring plenty of Maker's Mark and ginger ale to this party. Keep in mind that some recent signing day parties have turned into wakes. In which case, I also keep a goodly supply of headache remedies on hand.

IronMan, I don't know where your online guy KN at 247 came up with 30 slots available, but last year they ( more than one "inside", online source) were wrong and ellitor and I were right about how many could be signed. People kept saying that AU sources were telling them that X many could be signed but in the end my pencil and paper scratchings were correct. This year's number is 28 and I'm really certain on that. The only question I have is whether Golson counts among those 28 or not.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll bring plenty of Maker's Mark and ginger ale to this party. Keep in mind that some recent signing day parties have turned into wakes. In which case, I also keep a goodly supply of headache remedies on hand.

IronMan, I don't know where your online guy KN at 247 came up with 30 slots available, but last year they ( more than one "inside", online source) were wrong and ellitor and I were right about how many could be signed. People kept saying that AU sources were telling them that X many could be signed but in the end my pencil and paper scratchings were correct. This year's number is 28 and I'm really certain on that. The only question I have is whether Golson counts among those 28 or not.

Just spit-balling here, but could the 30 potentially come from the ability to gray shirt folks from this class in addition to just the punter?

Just spit-balling here, but could the 30 potentially come from the ability to gray shirt folks from this class in addition to just the punter?

Gray shirts would not be counted. The schollys available would still be 28.

Well, gray shirts don't sign, so they never count as using a slot. Any school could list 100 gray shirts and the list would be meaningless. Kids that are grayshirted can sign anywhere else they please. There's nothing binding on the school or the kid.

A direct answer, grayshirts don't figure into how many slots are available. We have 28 slots but by definition a grayshirt can't use one of them. A slot is used when a player signs and grayshirts don't sign.

Isn't everyone limited to 28 a year (in the SEC)? Now I know you can count back with EEs up to that number...and left overs can be given to walk ons...etc...

Well, gray shirts don't sign, so they never count as using a slot. Any school could list 100 gray shirts and the list would be meaningless. Kids that are grayshirted can sign anywhere else they please. There's nothing binding on the school or the kid.

A direct answer, grayshirts don't figure into how many slots are available. We have 28 slots but by definition a grayshirt can't use one of them. A slot is used when a player signs and grayshirts don't sign.

Ah, that makes sense. Though I suppose that if KN was not being as semantically accurate as you just were, the implication could be that he thinks we will take 30 from this class, even if we may only have 28 actual "slots". Again, I don't know, just theorizing. For all I know, his 30 number could just be plain wrong. Is there anyway to even sign more than 28 in a class nowadays by SEC rules? I seem to remember Tennessee having a rather large number a few years back.

When I posted in mid-December that Torrence Gibson was de-committing from Ohio State and was looking around, I was jumped on. Well, he didn't publicly de-commit, but he definitely started seriously looking. It's not just the fact that there are guys ahead of him at Ohio State, but the offensive coordinator at Ohio State who recruited Gibson left for Houston. Ohio State has hired Nebraska OC Tim Beck to take over as QB coach -- a rather strange hire.

Gibson comes across as a prima donna, which doesn't really inspire credibility as a team player. But he is a talented kid, so I'm sure he will have options.

Mikey has maintained 2 separate stances in this conversation and has alternately referred to whichever one was most convenient:

1) We should not recruit Mack

2) We should recruit Mack, but just not invite him this weekend

I disagree vehemently with 1, or at least I did at the time that the coaches still seemed to be aggressively recruiting him. If they're going after him, then I want them to get him. The 2nd point makes more sense, but he's a serious player and our coaches seemed serious about him, so it made sense to show him we were serious by including him this weekend. And I'm still glad that our coaches' collective confidence isn't so easily shaken by a few recruiting battles gone sideways.

As for the other guys coming this weekend, Norton seems to be the only interior guy we might have a shot with. So I don't think it inaccurate to say that, with a strong commitment from Kerryon Johnson, Payne was the top recruit in the state at the time of the conversation.

I keep referencing the past tense because Payne seems to be out of the picture now.

I haven't commented on Mack. Drink either more or less of your favorite beverage if that will help your comprehension skills. Maybe drinking a little more or less will help you decide which recruit is the state's #1, since you claim the authority to name whoever suits your mood of the moment.

for what it's worth Thompson visited Payne and D.Williams today.

concerning the signing of 30 this year is wrong. Golshon and Matthews count in this class making our limit 28. That's from what i"ve heard elsewhere.

War Eagle!!

This has to be the biggest weekend I can ever remember for recruiting for Auburn! Best of luck to the coaches, and recruits. In the end, they should go where they feel most comfortable. We, as fans, should respect those choices, and be respectful of the recruits.

Isn't everyone limited to 28 a year (in the SEC)? Now I know you can count back with EEs up to that number...and left overs can be given to walk ons...etc...

The annual limit is 25. Plus a team can add early enrolees up to the number that team was short last year. Auburn signed 22 that counted against 2014, so we had three EE guys to add back. Thus the 28. There has been no limit on add-backs and unless rules were changed this year without notifying the public there is no limit on add-backs. Tennessee and South Carolina have both signed well into the 30's in recent seasons.

Warning: You cannot simply look at how many we signed last year and go by that. To get an accurate idea of how many we can sign this year you have to first know how many, if any, of last year's signees were EE add-backs and do that math. Both ellitor and I keep up with this and while we seldom agree on much of anything, we're generally in agreement with the number that AU can sign. This year it's 28.

Anybody that wishes to start doing this, we had three EE guys that counted back this time. So when the shootin' is all over, count the number we signed, subtract three from it and that's the number of our 2015 allotment of 25 we used. If it's less that 25, add that to 25 for next year's available slots.

Example: Say we sign 26 this year, (include Golson, who counts on the 2015 class) Three were EE guys, so subtract 3 to get to 23. 25 minus 23=2. Those are two slots we didn't use. So in 2016 we can sign 27, if at least two of them are EE guys. Clear as mud? Or, you can forget all that and just ask me or ellitor what the magic number is. :) We have been correct when recruiting gurus on pay sites say they've "been told different by sources inside the football program".

ellitor and I love to prove each other wrong about most everything, so when we agree on something I'd suggest taking our word against the world. In the past it has been the world that was wrong.

Does anyone know who the recruit is to Gus's immediate left? The one with the mohawk, and looking at the screen. I swear I saw this kid on a flight into Fort Myers.

The annual limit is 25. Plus a team can add early enrolees up to the number that team was short last year. Auburn signed 22 that counted against 2014, so we had three EE guys to add back. Thus the 28. There has been no limit on add-backs and unless rules were changed this year without notifying the public there is no limit on add-backs. Tennessee and South Carolina have both signed well into the 30's in recent seasons.

Warning: You cannot simply look at how many we signed last year and go by that. To get an accurate idea of how many we can sign this year you have to first know how many, if any, of last year's signees were EE add-backs and do that math. Both ellitor and I keep up with this and while we seldom agree on much of anything, we're generally in agreement with the number that AU can sign. This year it's 28.

Anybody that wishes to start doing this, we had three EE guys that counted back this time. So when the shootin' is all over, count the number we signed, subtract three from it and that's the number of our 2015 allotment of 25 we used. If it's less that 25, add that to 25 for next year's available slots.

Example: Say we sign 26 this year, (include Golson, who counts on the 2015 class) Three were EE guys, so subtract 3 to get to 23. 25 minus 23=2. Those are two slots we didn't use. So in 2016 we can sign 27, if at least two of them are EE guys. Clear as mud? Or, you can forget all that and just ask me or ellitor what the magic number is. :)/> We have been correct when recruiting gurus on pay sites say they've "been told different by sources inside the football program".

ellitor and I love to prove each other wrong about most everything, so when we agree on something I'd suggest taking our word against the world. In the past it has been the world that was wrong.

Well said!

Does anyone know who the recruit is to Gus's immediate left? The one with the mohawk, and looking at the screen. I swear I saw this kid on a flight into Fort Myers.

Looks like Holland, to me

I think it is Irvin

I think it is Irvin

No, it's Jordan Colbert.

I think it is Irvin

No, it's Jordan Colbert.

Right it's Jordan

I think it is Irvin

No, it's Jordan Colbert.

Right it's Jordan

i thought he was asking about the guy that's on the right looking at the tv

I think it is Irvin

No, it's Jordan Colbert.

Right it's Jordan

Oh yeah, you're right! My bad I thought he meant the guy on the left in the picture, not to Malzahn's left. But I think we're both right haha

I think it is Irvin

No, it's Jordan Colbert.

Right it's Jordan

Oh yeah, you're right! My bad I thought he meant the guy on the left in the picture, not to Malzahn's left. But I think we're both right haha

Ha. I don't think that guy has a Mohawk though

Archived