If you have to choose one scenario...

Tiger

Nobody said they aren't victims. They most certainly are. You have about 80 guys on an AU football roster at any given point. There have been 3 deaths. There are 25,000 students at AU. And not a single report of a shooting at a party or in/around campus involving non-student athletes. That is alarming. But that is a ton of gun related incidents involving guys that were on football scholarship. Between the robbery 4, Dyer, and now the 3 that were killed that is a very high percentage compared to other football programs and also, without leaving the AU campus, the non-student athlete population at AU. That is not good. I don't understand how it's not cause for major concern.

I can understand one instance. But there has been too many scary incidents involving AU football players.

I don't care about weed busts, open container violations, failed drug tests, or any other similar issues nearly as much. But when kids are literally dying at Auburn something is terribly wrong. Especially when you consider similar circumstances, or lack thereof, at other places.

Cole, what do you propose to identify/fix the problem here? I don't think you're saying there is no problem at all in light of 3 football players dying violent deaths in less than 3 years, are you?

I'm saying when I was in school I could have very well been at that party and could have very well been shot. And no I didn't have any problems that need to be addressed or fixed. I wouldn't deserve for my name to be mentioned in a negative light. My name shouldn't be in a group of statistics by people that don't know the first thing about me... I don't see people constantly mentioning seat belt awareness, drinking alcohol, or partying when talking about Lutz because it's a tragedy bring negative things up about his death why? Like I said I didn't see people mentioning v tech's shootings negatively. There is a fight every single weekend at some place on campus, it's not those guys fault that a crazy guy came to a pool party with a gun...

Why would what those guys did with guns be mentioned now? Did they pass the guns down? If a random sweep was done on all football players right now you think we'd lead the nation on players with guns? But once again since when is the victims of a shooting questioned with guys who performed an armed robbery?

61. This is an interesting hypothetical, but i think the train has already left the shed, probably not to return. It's about winning championships according to those in charge. With the athletic budget being what it is, and our coaches salaries being among the nation's highest, what can we expect. Thou some might say Georgia and MR have changed their tune, but are folks happy with their annual performance? As someone asked when WM hiring was announced, can we afford this with all the released coaches' salaries we are paying. Someone replied, can we afford not to?

And many of us, me included contribute to this... I will pay about $1150 this year for opportunity to buy season tickets, then around $2000 for tickets, and am paying $450 for basketball tickets this year. That's $3,500 to athletics. And I'm glad to be able to do it and enjoy it. But sometimes wonder if I contributed this much to university scholarship fund -- or suppose if I could do both, wouldn't that matter more. Just saying...

You can probably count on one hand the number of schools that have had violent deaths of their student athletes over the past 5 years. And AU has had THREE young people lose their lives. THREE. How many schools have had even one of these things happen?

It is COMPLETELY disrespectful to talk about the deaths of the young men a couple of years ago in something like this. It has nothing to do with their behavior they were at a freaking pool party. I've never seen those students at v tech that were killed claimed to be anything other than victims. These people kids was killed at a freaking party and you guys want to use them in a discussion on should we recruit different kids....pathetic. Yeah we need guys who wouldn't go to a pool party....

To compare what happened at VT and our players getting shot to death at off campus parties is not well thought out on your part and frankly dumb. Those students that were killed at VT were killed while sitting in classrooms, not at parties. The fact that we have had multiple football players killed at off campus parties in the past 3 years is a clear indication that we have issues that need to be addressed. I don't think anyone on this board has suggested our players not go to pool parties or any party for that matter. We just need our coaches to impress upon our players who may have had a bad upbringing/lifestyle, to stay away from situations and locations that may cause their bad upbringing/lifestyle to result in the tragedies we have seen the past few years. We recruit players from bad backgrounds. That is a fact. Our coaches need to continue to work to try to keep those kids out of trouble once they are at AU.

wde

I guess our coaches also need to tell the rest of the people in Auburn not to have guns as well? Because it's definitely more of a problem on their part than ours, the fact you can't even relax at a party nowadays is ridiculous

You can probably count on one hand the number of schools that have had violent deaths of their student athletes over the past 5 years. And AU has had THREE young people lose their lives. THREE. How many schools have had even one of these things happen?

It is COMPLETELY disrespectful to talk about the deaths of the young men a couple of years ago in something like this. It has nothing to do with their behavior they were at a freaking pool party. I've never seen those students at v tech that were killed claimed to be anything other than victims. These people kids was killed at a freaking party and you guys want to use them in a discussion on should we recruit different kids....pathetic. Yeah we need guys who wouldn't go to a pool party....

To compare what happened at VT and our players getting shot to death at off campus parties is not well thought out on your part and frankly dumb. Those students that were killed at VT were killed while sitting in classrooms, not at parties. The fact that we have had multiple football players killed at off campus parties in the past 3 years is a clear indication that we have issues that need to be addressed. I don't think anyone on this board has suggested our players not go to pool parties or any party for that matter. We just need our coaches to impress upon our players who may have had a bad upbringing/lifestyle, to stay away from situations and locations that may cause their bad upbringing/lifestyle to result in the tragedies we have seen the past few years. We recruit players from bad backgrounds. That is a fact. Our coaches need to continue to work to try to keep those kids out of trouble once they are at AU.

wde

This entire thread is dumb. First do you know the background of the players that were shot? You know their story and upbringing? Second if you did (you don't) then do you know the events that would lead to their upbringing at a pool party that resulted to the shooting? And since you don't know either one how could you come to your conclusion? Lastly did we recruit guys that other schools didn't? We're the only school that recruited a guy with a "bad background?" If somebody came to your neighborhood right now and opened up fire you would think to yourself I bet my neighbors are from the streets of Compton.....

wde

I guess our coaches also need to tell the rest of the people in Auburn not to have guns as well? Because it's definitely more of a problem on their part than ours, the fact you can't even relax at a party nowadays is ridiculous

What? Guns are not the problem. People who have them are the problem especially when you have situations (parties) that allow or tolerate guns carried by less than desirable or responsible people. I am confident that there are a lot of people in Auburn and even AU students that have guns but choose to own them in a responsible way.

wde

wde

This entire thread is dumb. First do you know the background of the players that were shot? You know their story and upbringing? Second if you did (you don't) then do you know the events that would lead to their upbringing at a pool party that resulted to the shooting? And since you don't know either one how could you come to your conclusion? Lastly did we recruit guys that other schools didn't? We're the only school that recruited a guy with a "bad background?" If somebody came to your neighborhood right now and opened up fire you would think to yourself I bet my neighbors are from the streets of Compton.....

LOL, I have posted more than once that we recruit from the same gene pool that every one of our rivals do.

Lord have MERCY! Threads get derailed on here so quick it's ridiculous..........

The coaching profession is brutal these days - we share a freaking state with one of the best recruiters and college coaches in the buisness. To stay competitive in our own conference we have to take chances on some sketchy people. The name of the game is WIN and our coach has to win at a high level just to keep AU in the top of our conference. Every damn head coach (and yes I mean the devil Nick Saban and the baffoon Les Miles) is doing the best he can to field a competitive team year in and year out.

No program is any better than the other with off the field issues. AU has had more than its fair share of tragedy though and IMO the tragedy of losing multiple team mates over a short period of time had to have a huge impact on team chemistry and unity. I'm quite sure depression set in at some point and I hope the AU Administration has provided counseling for our guys.

Archived