Auburn-Georgia Tech

AUTUmike

Depends on what the strategy is here. If we're replacing a San Jose St or a La Monroe with GT, I'm for it. But if this is our big step outside the box, I'm against it. Think about how much good pub we got from going on the road to K State and winning (at least until both teams fell off). And K State isn't even that sexy of an opponent but it got us out of the southeast to go play a good opponent. Easy road trip aside, if we want to be seen as a regional brand, we can keep playing regional teams. If we believe ourselves to be a national brand, we have to step up and play more nationally respected teams.

bingo nailed it. This is a been there done that kind of thing. I'm not against it but let's spread our wings and test ourselves a little. Don't sit back and play it safe. I'd love to take on Urban Meyer again. Everyone would love a chance to knock off an SEC team on the road.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y'all remember that we just scheduled Cal, right? I know that series is a ways off, but some folks seem to be ignoring it based on their responses in this thread.

That said, Tech just finished in the top 10 and is in one of the most talent-rich regions in the country. And, yes, all the logistical concerns that have already been brought up matter. It's a no-brainer.

Since Ga Tech and Clemson have 2 game win streaks against Auburn I'm good with playing them. Win the home and away 2 game series and THEN move on. That being said I would love to play more big names. 1983 was awesome, playing Texas, FSU and Maryland plus the SEC. Now that was a schedule.

I agree with whoever said as long as Tech is replacing someone like La Monroe, otherwise meh. See about scheduling a Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, Stanford, etc...

A home and home vs Stanford would be awesome

Is this that much worse?

no it isn't and that is the point. We need more such games. Step outside the comfort zone and be bold. Schedule more B1G, Big 12 and PAC 12.

Well...good to see Golf on board with this rivalry....now who else is still reluctant? :)

This is a dream come true for me. The Wreck Tech Pajama Parade and the cake walk were huge Auburn traditions that should be renewed, and I'm sure the guys currently on campus would agree. I don't see any glamor or attractiveness in playing a school all the way across the country with few alums in our area to make it interesting. Also, the last two times we played GT, 2003 and 2005, they won and the games weren't as close as the scores make it seem. We haven't beaten these guys since 1987 and that needs to be fixed.

According to this article the holdup is scheduling. GT and Auburn both want to play this game at home on alternate years from playing Georgia at home - works for me. We need to grow a pair and tell the SEC we're tired of being the scheduling whipping boy and move the Georgia game back where it was to make this happen.

Yeah, let's go play those big bad boys from Berkely or Palo Alto or Eugene and maybe we can all enjoy some chamomile tea and save the whales afterward. Man up, people! GT has kicked our butt and we want to go pick flowers for our hair? (I jest about the flowers thing, but I do want to play Tech).

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/01/20/tech-auburn-a-possibility/

This is a dream come true for me. The Wreck Tech Pajama Parade and the cake walk were huge Auburn traditions that should be renewed, and I'm sure the guys currently on campus would agree. I don't see any glamor or attractiveness in playing a school all the way across the country with few alums in our area to make it interesting. Also, the last two times we played GT, 2003 and 2005, they won and the games weren't as close as the scores make it seem. We haven't beaten these guys since 1987 and that needs to be fixed.

According to this article the holdup is scheduling. GT and Auburn both want to play this game at home on alternate years from playing Georgia at home - works for me. We need to grow a pair and tell the SEC we're tired of being the scheduling whipping boy and move the Georgia game back where it was to make this happen.

Yeah, let's go play those big bad boys from Berkely or Palo Alto or Eugene and maybe we can all enjoy some chamomile tea and save the whales afterward. Man up, people! GT has kicked our butt and we want to go pick flowers for our hair? (I jest about the flowers thing, but I do want to play Tech).

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/01/20/tech-auburn-a-possibility/

this is the safe route. Let's think outside the box and go play the big boys. It's fine to do this every so often but let's get out of our own backyard and venture out into the big wide world. You know there are great teams outside of the southeast. Put your big boy pants on.

http://georgiatech.b...-a-possibility/

this is the safe route. Let's think outside the box and go play the big boys. It's fine to do this every so often but let's get out of our own backyard and venture out into the big wide world. You know there are great teams outside of the southeast. Put your big boy pants on.

Kidding right? We could have beaten any of the granola schools last year, but Tech beat UGa, and I don't have to tell you what happened in our UGa game. Did you see the OSU/Oregon game? This is NOT the safe route, but it is the interesting route. I traveled to the west coast for work a lot, and there's a reason LA doesn't have a pro team. I live in Georgia, and I'd have to live with the results of this game. Oregon, yawn! I see their fluorscent uni's and then they go to Hartsfield and fly home - boring.

It looks like a simple home and home. Why not? Blast Jay all you want but other teams have to schedule at the same time. I'd like to see a home and home with ND, Ohio State, or Texas.

Jay Jacobs is by no means a great AD, but he has proven that he will listen to the masses. The Auburn Family needs to be more outspoken about scheduling big-time opponents instead of the same old crap!!

GT and Clemson are cheap bountiful OOC games.

USC, Oregon, Oklahoma, tOSU are actually good OOC games.

One is for the fans (I suppose both are, but at this point I'm tired of seeing the former) and one is to just fill an OOC spot with a ranked opponent and to sell out the crowd.

Tech would've murdered us in 2014.

Which Auburn team? The first half team would've likely won by double digits, that second half team is another story (it still would've been close though)

Kidding right? We could have beaten any of the granola schools last year, but Tech beat UGa, and I don't have to tell you what happened in our UGa game. Did you see the OSU/Oregon game? This is NOT the safe route, but it is the interesting route. I traveled to the west coast for work a lot, and there's a reason LA doesn't have a pro team. I live in Georgia, and I'd have to live with the results of this game. Oregon, yawn! I see their fluorscent uni's and then they go to Hartsfield and fly home - boring.

They're the same school that made the national championship, and made a BCS Bowl, what 3 years in a row? They're a lot less YAWN than playing a pair of perennial failures like UGA and GT, that have the occasional star year.

Tech would've murdered us in 2014.

Which Auburn team? The first half team would've likely won by double digits, that second half team is another story (it still would've been close though)

They're the same school that made the national championship, and made a BCS Bowl, what 3 years in a row? They're a lot less YAWN than playing a pair of perennial failures like UGA and GT, that have the occasional star year.

Yeah, we sure showed UGa what a failure they are!

We have everything to lose and nothing to gain playing GT and CLEMSON. Beat them and we were supposed to beat them. Lose and we are out of the top 25. Besides Dabo makes my skin crawl.

Archived