Auburn-Georgia Tech

AUTUmike

Tech would've murdered us in 2014.

Which Auburn team? The first half team would've likely won by double digits, that second half team is another story (it still would've been close though)

This is a dream come true for me. The Wreck Tech Pajama Parade and the cake walk were huge Auburn traditions that should be renewed, and I'm sure the guys currently on campus would agree. I don't see any glamor or attractiveness in playing a school all the way across the country with few alums in our area to make it interesting. Also, the last two times we played GT, 2003 and 2005, they won and the games weren't as close as the scores make it seem. We haven't beaten these guys since 1987 and that needs to be fixed.

According to this article the holdup is scheduling. GT and Auburn both want to play this game at home on alternate years from playing Georgia at home - works for me. We need to grow a pair and tell the SEC we're tired of being the scheduling whipping boy and move the Georgia game back where it was to make this happen.

Yeah, let's go play those big bad boys from Berkely or Palo Alto or Eugene and maybe we can all enjoy some chamomile tea and save the whales afterward. Man up, people! GT has kicked our butt and we want to go pick flowers for our hair? (I jest about the flowers thing, but I do want to play Tech).

http://georgiatech.b...-a-possibility/

this is the safe route. Let's think outside the box and go play the big boys. It's fine to do this every so often but let's get out of our own backyard and venture out into the big wide world. You know there are great teams outside of the southeast. Put your big boy pants on.

Kidding right? We could have beaten any of the granola schools last year, but Tech beat UGa, and I don't have to tell you what happened in our UGa game. Did you see the OSU/Oregon game? This is NOT the safe route, but it is the interesting route. I traveled to the west coast for work a lot, and there's a reason LA doesn't have a pro team. I live in Georgia, and I'd have to live with the results of this game. Oregon, yawn! I see their fluorscent uni's and then they go to Hartsfield and fly home - boring.

They're the same school that made the national championship, and made a BCS Bowl, what 3 years in a row? They're a lot less YAWN than playing a pair of perennial failures like UGA and GT, that have the occasional star year.

Yeah, we sure showed UGa what a failure they are!

This reasoning is the same reason Mark Richt is still hired. Just cause he blew us out doesnt mean he did great this season, we haven't consistently been able to beat UGA in God knows how long. 11-2 is a good season but this guy hasn't won a SEC season in God knows how long, and didn't even make it when the division was TRASH.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's go after USC for another home and home. Let's go get OSU. If we hadn't been playing Clemson nearly every year it wouldn't bug me as much to go after GT. What is he going to do alternate between the two Let's go to Dallas for the opening game once.

Which Auburn team? The first half team would've likely won by double digits, that second half team is another story (it still would've been close though)

This is a dream come true for me. The Wreck Tech Pajama Parade and the cake walk were huge Auburn traditions that should be renewed, and I'm sure the guys currently on campus would agree. I don't see any glamor or attractiveness in playing a school all the way across the country with few alums in our area to make it interesting. Also, the last two times we played GT, 2003 and 2005, they won and the games weren't as close as the scores make it seem. We haven't beaten these guys since 1987 and that needs to be fixed.

According to this article the holdup is scheduling. GT and Auburn both want to play this game at home on alternate years from playing Georgia at home - works for me. We need to grow a pair and tell the SEC we're tired of being the scheduling whipping boy and move the Georgia game back where it was to make this happen.

Yeah, let's go play those big bad boys from Berkely or Palo Alto or Eugene and maybe we can all enjoy some chamomile tea and save the whales afterward. Man up, people! GT has kicked our butt and we want to go pick flowers for our hair? (I jest about the flowers thing, but I do want to play Tech).

this is the safe route. Let's think outside the box and go play the big boys. It's fine to do this every so often but let's get out of our own backyard and venture out into the big wide world. You know there are great teams outside of the southeast. Put your big boy pants on.

Kidding right? We could have beaten any of the granola schools last year, but Tech beat UGa, and I don't have to tell you what happened in our UGa game. Did you see the OSU/Oregon game? This is NOT the safe route, but it is the interesting route. I traveled to the west coast for work a lot, and there's a reason LA doesn't have a pro team. I live in Georgia, and I'd have to live with the results of this game. Oregon, yawn! I see their fluorscent uni's and then they go to Hartsfield and fly home - boring.

They're the same school that made the national championship, and made a BCS Bowl, what 3 years in a row? They're a lot less YAWN than playing a pair of perennial failures like UGA and GT, that have the occasional star year.

This reasoning is the same reason Mark Richt is still hired.

Richt is still hired because he's a great coach.
Just cause he blew us out doesnt mean he did great this season, we haven't consistently been able to beat UGA in God knows how long.

There are TONS of programs out there that would kill for 10 win seasons.

11-2 is a good season but this guy hasn't won a SEC season in God knows how long, and didn't even make it when the division was TRASH
Again most out there, Auburn included would love a 10 or more win season. I'm not sure what "hasn't won a SEC season" means.

Richt has won 10 games or more 9 times out of 14 years as a coach. If you don't think richt is a great coach, then you are just blinded by hatred and not reality or facts. Obviously championships are the ultimate goal but they aren't the sole measuring stick for a great coach.

Being an old timer I loved the series with GT when I was in school. In my freshman year (69) Tech came to Auburn for the first time since the track greasing prank in 1892. For years I'd have love for this series to be revived. but now I think the time has come when Auburn doesn't benefit from playing GT. Like some others here I think Auburn needs to go further away from home for their OOC games. Some west coast teams --- Sou Cal, Oregon, UCLA -- would benefit Auburn far more than GT.

I hate to say it but the GT series is now on the level of Clemson; decent opponents but too close to home nowadays. It's a national stage now and Auburn needs to be on it.

%^$#&^%$**^% Think I'll just kill myself. Good god almighty what the hell is JJ thinking schedule that piece of crap school. Bobby Dodd is/was a piece of you know what... Just shoot me now and get the frickin pain over with.

So is red the new sarcasm?

I have mixed feelings.

I feel we have more to lose than gain in playing GaTech, however, it is fun little road trip game, and I am old enough to appreciate the wreck tech parade.

Anyone remember the greased track story?

%^$#&^%$**^% Think I'll just kill myself. Good god almighty what the hell is JJ thinking schedule that piece of crap school. Bobby Dodd is/was a piece of you know what... Just shoot me now and get the frickin pain over with.

No.....red is the deadly serious color....

This is ridiculous. Does Jay Jacobs know anybody else other than the Clemson and Ga Tech AD's? Why can't we play VaTech or Miami? Unbelievable

It does seem we spend an awful lot of time trying stay close to home with our OOC games. We do have the series with Cal coming up in a few years but let's try to work something with some other schools out of the B1G or Big 12. Heck I would love some more against the Pac 12. I'd love USC or Oregon just to name two.

If you can fill stadiums, allow your alum base to have easy access to the road game, travel expenses are reasonable and the opponent will bring a good crowd to Auburn....what's not to like? Perhaps it's not sexy....but after all...it's a business....

And with AU and Tech, there is a long and rich tradition to the series. I kind of hope this works out. Atlanta is as short a trip as AU for me, and I've never had a problem getting a ticket for cheap to a GT home game.

Just cause he blew us out doesnt mean he did great this season, we haven't consistently been able to beat UGA in God knows how long.

11-2 is a good season but this guy hasn't won a SEC season in God knows how long, and didn't even make it when the division was TRASH
Again most out there, Auburn included would love a 10 or more win season. I'm not sure what "hasn't won a SEC season" means.

Richt has won 10 games or more 9 times out of 14 years as a coach. If you don't think richt is a great coach, then you are just blinded by hatred and not reality or facts. Obviously championships are the ultimate goal but they aren't the sole measuring stick for a great coach.

Championships are a huge measuring stick if you have a grand total of 0 national championships, and you have 2 failed attempts at a SEC title this decade. He's a great coach but he's never going to get a championship and at some point, Georgia is gonna realize that, it'd be a lot quicker if Auburn didn't give him a huge cushion by rarely beating him when he's down...

Tech finished ahead of many of the teams named here as "strong OOC opponents".

Playing Tech would have given us a much better OOC opponent this past year than Kansas State.

We recruit heavily in the Atlanta area and the media attention we'll get by playing there is very valuable.

How many people got all excited by us playing Washington State? I didn't.

Just because the OOC team is so far away that most AU fans won't make the trip doesn't mean scheduling them is a good thing to do. Quite the contrary.

Tech finished ahead of many of the teams named here as "strong OOC opponents".

Playing Tech would have given us a much better OOC opponent this past year than Kansas State.

We recruit heavily in the Atlanta area and the media attention we'll get by playing there is very valuable.

How many people got all excited by us playing Washington State? I didn't.

Just because the OOC team is so far away that most AU fans won't make the trip doesn't mean scheduling them is a good thing to do. Quite the contrary.

I would think that is because Washington State is FAR from a marquee matchup

I would think that championships (National or SEC) very much would be the measuring stick for being called a "great" coach.

I would totally agree he is a "good" coach.

Back on topic, I also agree we should get out of our comfort zone (the South) and schedule some other OOC games than the same ones rehashed over and over.

No.....red is the deadly serious color....

I see.

This is ridiculous. Does Jay Jacobs know anybody else other than the Clemson and Ga Tech AD's? Why can't we play VaTech or Miami? Unbelievable

It does seem we spend an awful lot of time trying stay close to home with our OOC games. We do have the series with Cal coming up in a few years but let's try to work something with some other schools out of the B1G or Big 12. Heck I would love some more against the Pac 12. I'd love USC or Oregon just to name two.

If you can fill stadiums, allow your alum base to have easy access to the road game, travel expenses are reasonable and the opponent will bring a good crowd to Auburn....what's not to like? Perhaps it's not sexy....but after all...it's a business....

And with AU and Tech, there is a long and rich tradition to the series. I kind of hope this works out. Atlanta is as short a trip as AU for me, and I've never had a problem getting a ticket for cheap to a GT home game.

This ain't 1985. It's a different world now. Let's keep up with it.

How, exactly, is scheduling a team that just finished 2nd in the ACC, won the Orange Bowl game and is located in an area that we depend heavily on for recruiting not keeping up?

How, exactly, is scheduling a team that just finished 2nd in the ACC, won the Orange Bowl game and is located in an area that we depend heavily on for recruiting not keeping up?

Finished 2nd in the absolute worst of the power 5 conferences to a team that was vastly overrated to boot. I don't mind once a decade maybe but the idea of renewing the rivalry on a permanent basis is ridiculous. It's not so much GT as the idea of not wanting to move outside of the southeast and go take on the big boys in the world of CFB. Let's go grab an OSU or Michigan State. Hell Michigan is about to be relevant again. Let's schedule Oregon who's been in two title games in 4 years. Show some imagination. This is easy to schedule. Go do something that's difficult to set up. Yeah they beat UGA but that is the typical UGA under Richt. They lose at least one game like that a year. Playing them isn't going to affect our recruiting one iota. You do realize that football is played in other parts of the country besides the southeast? It's a great big wide world out there. Let's get out of the backyard and go exploring and see what we can find.

Finished 2nd in the absolute worst of the power 5 conferences to a team that was vastly overrated to boot. I don't mind once a decade maybe but the idea of renewing the rivalry on a permanent basis is ridiculous. It's not so much GT as the idea of not wanting to move outside of the southeast and go take on the big boys in the world of CFB. Let's go grab an OSU or Michigan State. Hell Michigan is about to be relevant again. Let's schedule Oregon who's been in two title games in 4 years. Show some imagination. This is easy to schedule. Go do something that's difficult to set up. Yeah they beat UGA but that is the typical UGA under Richt. They lose at least one game like that a year. Playing them isn't going to affect our recruiting one iota. You do realize that football is played in other parts of the country besides the southeast? It's a great big wide world out there. Let's get out of the backyard and go exploring and see what we can find.

Before you get too excited slamming the ACC you might want to take a look at how they ended the season with 5 wins over SEC teams....and one of the four teams in the playoff....and of course a win over the National Champions buckeyes during the regular season. And after their recent success against AU, I would like to see us get back up on Tech.

Before you get too excited slamming the ACC you might want to take a look at how they ended the season with 5 wins over SEC teams....and one of the four teams in the playoff....and of course a win over the National Champions buckeyes during the regular season. And after their recent success against AU, I would like to see us get back up on Tech.

Bowl games are meaningless when it comes to comparing conferences. GT chose to leave the SEC because they were getting their ass handed to them year in and year out. I couldn't care less if they have a winning record against us or not. It's not playing GT that bothers me. I just don't understand why so many people don't want to go anywhere outside of our own backyard to schedule our OOC games.

"Big boy pants"? Tech is a bigger boy than many of the teams named in this thread as alternatives. As 64 noted above, the ACC handed it to the SEC in head to head games this year. I'd see playing Michigan as wimping out and dodging Tech. The quality of opponent doesn't increase with distance traveled to their stadium.

Bowl games are meaningless when it comes to comparing conferences. GT chose to leave the SEC because they were getting their ass handed to them year in and year out. I couldn't care less if they have a winning record against us or not. It's not playing GT that bothers me. I just don't understand why so many people don't want to go anywhere outside of our own backyard to schedule our OOC games.

I was not talking bowl games...I was referring to the final regular season games where the ACC waxed the SEC...but on the other subject.

I don't know if you were around when Ga Tech left the SEC but I was still in AU at the time and there was much more to it than Tech "getting waxed" as you put it.

From Wikipedia so you can question it if you wish but this is also as I recall things.

Dodd's tenure included Georgia Tech's withdrawal from the Southeastern Conference.[16] The initial spark for Dodd's withdrawal was a historic feud with Alabama Crimson Tide Coach Bear Bryant.[18] The feud began when Tech was visiting the Tide at Legion Field in Birmingham in 1961. After a Tech punt, Alabama fair-caught the ball. Chick Granning of Tech was playing coverage and relaxed after the signal for the fair catch. Darwin Holt of Alabama continued play and smashed his elbow into Granning's face causing severe fracturing in his face, a broken nose, and blood-filled sinuses. Granning was knocked unconscious and suffered a severe concussion, the result of which left him unable to play football ever again. Dodd sent Bryant a letter asking Bryant to suspend Holt after game film indicated Holt had intentionally injured Granning.[18] Bryant never suspended Holt. The lack of discipline infuriated Dodd and sparked Dodd's interest in withdrawing from the SEC.

Another issue of concern for Dodd was Alabama's and other SEC schools' over-recruitment of players.[18] Universities would recruit more players than they had roster space for. During the summer practice sessions, the teams in question would cut the players well after signing day thus preventing the cut players from finding new colleges to play for. Dodd appealed the SEC administration to punish the "tryout camps" of his fellow SEC members but the SEC did not. Finally, Dodd withdrew Georgia Tech from the SEC in 1963.[18] Tech would remain an independent like Notre Dame and Penn State (at the time) during the final four years of Dodd's coaching tenure. In 1967, Dodd passed the head coach position to his favorite coordinator, Bud Carson. Dodd simply retained his athletic director position, which he had acquired in 1950. He would not retire from athletic directing until 1976.

Because it's all about the money, alumni, and things of that nature. Do you think that there are a lot of Auburn fans in Ohio? Or Michigan? California? I'd guarantee little to none. This game would bring revenue out of the wazoo for both schools due to ticket sales and the amount of alumni and fans in Georgia.

I was not talking bowl games...I was referring to the final regular season games where the ACC waxed the SEC...but on the other subject.

I don't know if you were around when Ga Tech left the SEC but I was still in AU at the time and there was much more to it than Tech "getting waxed" as you put it.

From Wikipedia so you can question it if you wish but this is also as I recall things.

Dodd's tenure included Georgia Tech's withdrawal from the Southeastern Conference.[16] The initial spark for Dodd's withdrawal was a historic feud with Alabama Crimson Tide Coach Bear Bryant.[18] The feud began when Tech was visiting the Tide at Legion Field in Birmingham in 1961. After a Tech punt, Alabama fair-caught the ball. Chick Granning of Tech was playing coverage and relaxed after the signal for the fair catch. Darwin Holt of Alabama continued play and smashed his elbow into Granning's face causing severe fracturing in his face, a broken nose, and blood-filled sinuses. Granning was knocked unconscious and suffered a severe concussion, the result of which left him unable to play football ever again. Dodd sent Bryant a letter asking Bryant to suspend Holt after game film indicated Holt had intentionally injured Granning.[18] Bryant never suspended Holt. The lack of discipline infuriated Dodd and sparked Dodd's interest in withdrawing from the SEC.

Another issue of concern for Dodd was Alabama's and other SEC schools' over-recruitment of players.[18] Universities would recruit more players than they had roster space for. During the summer practice sessions, the teams in question would cut the players well after signing day thus preventing the cut players from finding new colleges to play for. Dodd appealed the SEC administration to punish the "tryout camps" of his fellow SEC members but the SEC did not. Finally, Dodd withdrew Georgia Tech from the SEC in 1963.[18] Tech would remain an independent like Notre Dame and Penn State (at the time) during the final four years of Dodd's coaching tenure. In 1967, Dodd passed the head coach position to his favorite coordinator, Bud Carson. Dodd simply retained his athletic director position, which he had acquired in 1950. He would not retire from athletic directing until 1976.

Who cares why they left? They are the ones that chose to leave.

Because it's all about the money, alumni, and things of that nature. Do you think that there are a lot of Auburn fans in Ohio? Or Michigan? California? I'd guarantee little to none. This game would bring revenue out of the wazoo for both schools due to ticket sales and the amount of alumni and fans in Georgia.

horse hockey. I guarantee you Auburn would sell out their allotment of tickets to these games. The other schools would do the same for their trip here. Look how many made the trip to KSU this last year. Washington State brought a sizable contingent to Auburn just a couple of years ago. Oh ye of little faith. We can't do this. We can't do that boo freaking hoo. Can't never could and all of that. Let's challenge ourselves here.

Trust me that is not sarcasm

Archived