Redevelopment of Toomers Corner (City of Auburn)

autigeremt

Somebody needs to bring SaniFreeze back! Great ice cream sundaes for really cheap prices. I loved that place!

A.K.A. the beloved SaniFlush

Or just "The Flush" to many of us. Used to confuse the freshmen. Tell one to meet you at The Flush, and they would wander around looking for the sign and couldn't find it. :)

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh the memories................

2h8clde.jpg

Anyone remember the Kopper Kettle

kb90lk.jpg

http://www.thewareag...n/#.VdiSSZeMlmQ

Golf, we have reminissed about the KK before. I read the article but I think it is in error about when it became the Kopper Kettle. I recall going up there late at night in 1959 or so. Anyway, I read some of the sub articles and the one about Dean Foy really brought back the memories, especially pictures of "The Streak" on the old drill field. What a night that was. Campus cops didn't know what to do. It was absolutely crazy. Thanks for posting bro, WDE!!

I know I went to the Copper Kettle, but I can't remember any of the details -- and couldn't remember the details even the next day. But you always knew the next day that you had gone to Copper Kettle, even if you couldn't remember the details. The gastric results were unmistakable.

As for The Streak, what great fun that was. But one of my buddies got arrested for participating. Not on the night it occurred, but he had piled his clothes and took off running. Unfortunately, he left his wallet with his drivers license in the pocket of his pants. The cops came to visit him the next day. They had confiscated his wallet and his shirt. (The cops did leave his pants, so at least he didn't have to walk home naked!)

I know I went to the Copper Kettle, but I can't remember any of the details -- and couldn't remember the details even the next day. But you always knew the next day that you had gone to Copper Kettle, even if you couldn't remember the details. The gastric results were unmistakable.

As for The Streak, what great fun that was. But one of my buddies got arrested for participating. Not on the night it occurred, but he had piled his clothes and took off running. Unfortunately, he left his wallet with his drivers license in the pocket of his pants. The cops came to visit him the next day. They had confiscated his wallet and his shirt. (The cops did leave his pants, so at least he didn't have to walk home naked!)

AURex you have described perfectly my visits to the KK and the corresponding results were exactly the same. ;D

I remember the night the Copper Kettle blew up!

Was that doing mash conversion in a still at night?

Nothing that cool. I think the had a gas leak.

Was that doing mash conversion in a still at night?

Nothing that cool. I think the had a gas leak.

This conversation about mash conversion reminded me that booze could not be sold way back then on campus or in the city of Auburn if I remember correctly. Can one of you younger guys tell me when AU went "wet"?

One of my buds was a grad assistant in chemistry. He would bring home jars of pure ethyl alcohol from the lab. It had to be consumed within a few days before it evaporated. This sometimes resulted in visits to Kopper Kettle, the details of which were immediately forgotten. It's a wonder we didn't go blind. I do remember visiting that grocery store on Gay, just down the street from KK, and stuffing a 2 foot long giant sausage down my jeans at, like, 1:00 AM -- confident that no one would notice. Because, well, it would look natural, right? The guy working the register just laughed.

One of my buds was a grad assistant in chemistry. He would bring home jars of pure ethyl alcohol from the lab. It had to be consumed within a few days before it evaporated. This sometimes resulted in visits to Kopper Kettle, the details of which were immediately forgotten. It's a wonder we didn't go blind. I do remember visiting that grocery store on Gay, just down the street from KK, and stuffing a 2 foot long giant sausage down my jeans at, like, 1:00 AM -- confident that no one would notice. Because, well, it would look natural, right? The guy working the register just laughed.

In your dreams

It blew up in the early morning I believe. I remember hearing the windows rattle in my house as a kid, Live behind AHS.

Happen on a Sunday early morning hours. Video below of the after effects

http://www.thewareaglereader.com/2011/01/i-survived-the-kopper-kettle-explosion-and-all-i-got-was-this-t-shirt-and-a-great-song/#.VdkUH5eMlmQ

Somebody needs to bring SaniFreeze back! Great ice cream sundaes for really cheap prices. I loved that place!

Yep...I lived less than a block from it on W Glenn and many nights a couple the guys from our apt would walk there for one of their greasy hotdogs and a milk shake ....total cost less than a buck for sure...probably about 50 or 60 cents. They are at least partly responsible for my double by-pass.

Finally, I know what to blame for my love-handles. I lived just up W Glenn and worked part time at Watt Howard's Amoco station on the corner.

It blew up in the early morning I believe. I remember hearing the windows rattle in my house as a kid, Live behind AHS.

http://www.thewareag...g/#.VdkUH5eMlmQ

I graduated in '68 so I was long gone when the Kettle went up.

I was there when it blew up. Never had the chance to go inside.

I'd make a very poor journalist...I was attending Auburn when the Kettle blew up, but I did not have a chance to go into the establishment before it blew up.

There, that's better.

KK blew up the year after I left Auburn, so I missed the fun. But I certainly heard about it. I don't remember being heart broken at the time.

http://www.thewareaglereader.com/2011/01/i-survived-the-kopper-kettle-explosion-and-all-i-got-was-this-t-shirt-and-a-great-song/#.VdkUH5eMlmQ

For younger generation reference- where was that located on magnolia? Current location of Zazu's?

http://www.thewareag...g/#.VdkUH5eMlmQ

For younger generation reference- where was that located on magnolia? Current location of Zazu's?

It was loacated on the intersection of Magnolia and Gay streets, the address was on Magnolia. It was across the street from Hamilton's which was not there at that time if I have my facts straight.

There was a SunTrust Bank directly across the street on Gay, a church diagonally across the street, and before I left, a pizza place across the street on Mag.

I was there when it blew up. Never had the chance to go inside.

I'd make a very poor journalist...I was attending Auburn when the Kettle blew up, but I did not have a chance to go into the establishment before it blew up.

There, that's better.

It blew up my freshman year. I was living in the beautiful Magnolia Studio Apartments just before you reach the old fraternity row. The blast woke me up. I'm surprised our apartments didn't collapse considering how poorly their were built!

I was almost 6 years old and living near the intersection of Ross St. and Glenn Ave when the Kopper Kettle explosion occurred. (I learned to ride my bike without training wheels at Felton Little Park.) But I don't remember the explosion.

Archived