NCAA Super Regionals - AU vs. La-Lafayette - Game 1

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone with maybe more softball knowledge (which would be everyone here) link me to the rule about the warmup pitches?

Here's the rule on it... Pretty straight forward.

10.19.3 After a pitching change, a relief pitcher may throw not more than five

pitches or four pitches and one throw to first base or any combination that is

limited to five throws from the pitcher in a continuous manner. Play shall be

suspended during this time. A pitcher shall not be allowed warm-up pitches if

returning to pitch in the same half-inning.

EFFECT—(10.19.1 to 10.19.3)—A ball shall be awarded to the next batter(s)

faced for each excessive warm-up pitch/throw.

Since Carosone already had a 2-0 count on her when the change was made the two throws to short or 3rd (whomever she was throwing it too) were balls 3 and 4 and caused the walk.

Thanks, WT! I had seen some form of 10.19 being quoted on Twitter by a ULL fan stating a warmup pitch only consisted of an intentional throw to the plate, but glad to get the actual book's rule.

I have AFIB and this game didn't help my condition. Had to get up and take pill. I learned in the final regular season game against bammer that you don't give up on these ladies. If memory serves me correctly, I believe that score was 10-5 when we came back as well. I don't understand why we pitched to the ULL batter that had already hit 2 HR's, but .... Rachel did throw some changeups for strikes and I love that. I hope this ignites us and we hit tomorrow. The kid that threw over 200 pitches has a lot of heart. I salute her, but her coach is a human rain delay. War Eagle ladies.

By Charles Goldberg

AuburnTigers.com

AUBURN, Ala. -- Auburn is now within a win of going to first College World Series thanks to one of the biggest comebacks around.

The Tigers beat Louisiana-Lafayette 12-11 by scoring five runs in the bottom of the fifth on just one hit to tie the game at 10-10, then rallied again in the eighth when Whitney Jordan's bounder to second was just enough to allow the winning run to score.

Auburn softball can punch its ticket to the College World Series in an 11 a.m. game Saturday. If Lafayette wins that one, a winner-take-all second game will be at 2 p.m.

Auburn improved to 53-9. UL-Lafayette, a World Series participant last year, fell to 42-11.

Jade Rhodes set the school record for home runs in a single season when she blasted her 19th of the year to cut Lafayette's lead to 8-5 in the sixth. Auburn benefitted from a flurry of walks in the seventh.

It was a game of frustration early. Auburn left the bases loaded in each of the first four innings and trailed 8-2 going to the bottom of the fourth. But Emily Carosone hit a two-run homer. Lafayette walked 16.

Kasey Cooper drove in Auburn's first run in the first and Tiffany Howard walked with the bases loaded in the third.

I lost a bit of respect for Lotief after this game. He rode Wallace into the ground when he had Hamilton behind her who is a proven pitcher. 200+ pitches and walking runs in and he still didn't have Hamilton in the pen warming up?

That is on him, and it caused the fiasco when Hamilton did come in. That was terrible coaching and decision making all the way around.

Now, we did what we had to win, and that is great! We just need to HIT!

...Would like to reiterate that the two pitches during the warmup walked in a run to make it 10-9 but did not cost ULL the game. The next walk tied the game and of course the extra inning.

And to call Lotief a "human rain delay" is completely ignoring the fact that Coach Myers and staff often do exactly the same thing, especially on the road. It is a strategy with a goal of both slowing momentum and settling everyone down.

Coach Myers was booed worse in the Mizzou series than Lotief was today for the exact same thing.

...Would like to reiterate that the two pitches during the warmup walked in a run to make it 10-9 but did not cost ULL the game. The next walk tied the game and of course the extra inning.

You're right. But continuing to ride a struggling pitcher who is approaching 200 pitches when you have a proven number 2 (in reality she has been number 1B) did cost them the game.

A bit of perspective. In uga's first regional game Wilkinson threw well over 200 pitches....in a pitcher's duel 14 inning game that was eventually won by WKU 2-1.

FoundationEagle shouldn't have left. Ha!

I think I was the bad luck charm today. Wasn't in a positive mood so I left. You see what happened after I left! Maybe I'll sit the next one out ;D

Good luck to ULL

Good luck after tomorrow. We need to beat them at least once tomorrow. With 16 walks, they pretty much handed the game to us today, we were just slow to accept the gifts. We'll have to do better tomorrow if we want to get to Oklahoma City. We can't depend on them presenting us with so may gifts. 17 LOB in 7 innings has to be some kind of record, that's nearly impossible to accomplish. At one point we were 0-8 with the bases loaded, we cannot afford to repeat that.

Yes, I'm very happy that we came out on top but we didn't win this game as much as they lost it. It happens, but a repeat is not to be depended upon.

Good luck to ULL

Good luck after tomorrow. We need to beat them at least once tomorrow. With 16 walks, they pretty much handed the game to us today, we were just slow to accept the gifts. We'll have to do better tomorrow if we want to get to Oklahoma City. We can't depend on them presenting us with so may gifts. 17 LOB in 7 innings has to be some kind of record, that's nearly impossible to accomplish. At one point we were 0-8 with the bases loaded, we cannot afford to repeat that.

Yes, I'm very happy that we came out on top but we didn't win this game as much as they lost it. It happens, but a repeat is not to be depended upon.

Agree......and can't believe their coach left that pitcher out there past 200 pitches while the win just disappeared.

Guess he was trying to hold the other pitcher for tomorrow but could not have hurt to put her in at the start of an inning instead of bringing her in with an 0-2 count and the bases loaded.

Hope our ladies got the butterflies dealt with and are ready to swing the bats. As Clint noted about middle of the game during an interview, his players were taking too many hittable pitches....especially the first pitch to each batter.....just wondering if the word is out that AU batters have the "take" sign for the first pitch?

Whether this comes up short or not, I like the more aggressive approaches the last few innings. That's a good sign for tomorrow.

AU was 2-3 hits away from winning this one. Plenty of runs out there, just got to get them tomorrow.

Lol this made me laugh! War Eagle Jared!

I have coached and watched softball for 30 years. That may have been one of the oddest games I have ever seen.

AU leaving the bases loaded each of the 1st four innings.

What were we? 1 for like 14 with base loaded.

16 walks by one team.

An illegal pitch called in pitcher warmups.

And on and on...

I am just glad we came out on top. I can assure you, if we hit with RISP tomorrow like we did today, we will not beat this team.

WAR EAGLE!!!

Whether this comes up short or not, I like the more aggressive approaches the last few innings. That's a good sign for tomorrow.

AU was 2-3 hits away from winning this one. Plenty of runs out there, just got to get them tomorrow.

Well, in my defense, they DO still need to get runs tomorrow. :)

IMO getting so many balls and walks so early in a game can be a double edged sword. It can make you tentative to swing away at good pitches.

It looked like that after a while they were up there looking for a ball instead of a strike.

I can't say I wasn't feeling the same thing about that time.

I can't say I wasn't feeling the same thing about that time.

Your username doesn't shorten to a4e for nothing. :D

I'm at Turner Field and the Braves are getting smoked 9-0 in the 4th. Any chance Meyers can put in a call to Fredi?

What an AUsome game. The Lady Tigers just don't give up. We have a great softball coaching. GREAT WIN.

OK...Who hijacked this account? He's supposed to come in and tell everybody how terrible everything is with Auburn athletics. The only explanation behind this EXTREMELY rare positive post is an account hijack.

I'm at Turner Field and the Braves are getting smoked 9-0 in the 4th. Any chance Meyers can put in a call to Fredi?

it has been determined you are the sole reason for a lack of runs. Braves get blanked. Auburn was not hitting while You watched earlier. You are not allowed to participate in the viewing or listening of the game tomorrow. You are welcome back after we win though.

Archived