Handcuffed and Helpless

JoeBags7277

Another isolated incident...

"But why are people so often silent in the face of abuse? They don’t want to risk their careers; they don’t want to make enemies at their church; they don’t want to be associated with the wrong political party; they don’t want to be seen as liars; they don’t want anyone targeting them.

And I get it. Just since I shared this on social media, people have called me a liar, a bullshitter, a slanderer, a cop hater and an attention seeker. Honestly, I can relate with those people who would rather just stay silent than suffer the indignity of the aftermath — which so often just adds insult to injury."

http://fee.org/anythingpeaceful/detail/handcuffed-and-helpless

He was put in a car and didn't notice what LE department the car belongs to?

Details like that can get lost in the shuffle when faced with what appears to be a matter of life or death.

The story. I don't buy it.

Do you have any evidence for this position?

No more than the one who claims it did happen.

But my personal experience leads me to believe it's fake. Or greatly exaggerated and embellished.

No more than the one who claims it did happen.

But my personal experience leads me to believe it's fake. Or greatly exaggerated and embellished.

I tend to believe people unless they give me a good reason not to. I've looked up this guy. He seems to have a good reputation. I don't see a bunch of incredible stories of his floating out there. I've talked with black coworkers before about the "driving while black" thing and they've confirmed varying degrees of issues even though none of them drive a vehicle, have a hairstyle or dress in any way that would signal they were anything other than middle to upper class, professionals.

Your personal experience on the other hand is all but useless, unless you've been hiding your African-American status from us all these years. White people are rarely, if ever, going to be afforded the "opportunity" to witness such behavior.

I'd say you're out on a limb here.

Bill Cosby was seen as pretty credible as well, for a good while.

It just sounds like a confabulation of many different stories all rolled into one, with gaps and a woeful lack of specifics.

" Why would he lie ? " doesn't sit well w/ me as a basis of buying this story.

It just sounds like a confabulation of many different stories all rolled into one, with gaps and a woeful lack of specifics.

Well, there's a compelling argument the guy was lying. :lmao:

How about the term "driving while black"? Do you think blacks never get pulled over for no reason? You think that is just a hoax, that it never happens?

Wrong perspective. He wasn't the one making a positive claim. His accusers were. And people said they were lying or exaggerating for years. Mostly based on feeling. Turns out they weren't.

It's superior to, "I think he's lying just because."

Why do you suppose he is lying then?

Some parts might be embellished, but he does state at the beginning I think that he is just going off his own memory... can't expect everything to be 100% accurate. IE: I'm sure his answer to the cop as a child was not as thoughtful and eloquent a response as what was wrote, but I don't see any reason to question the overall validity of his story.

There are a lot of cops out there, some of them just plain suck... it is weird he didn't get any information from the cops that harassed him though, 40 minutes straight doesn't stay "heat of the moment" the whole time. At some point he should have looked at badge numbers/names/car identifier/etc. But people **** up too now and then :)

Some parts might be embellished, but he does state at the beginning I think that he is just going off his own memory... can't expect everything to be 100% accurate. IE: I'm sure his answer to the cop as a child was not as thoughtful and eloquent a response as what was wrote, but I don't see any reason to question the overall validity of his story.

There are a lot of cops out there, some of them just plain suck... it is weird he didn't get any information from the cops that harassed him though, 40 minutes straight doesn't stay "heat of the moment" the whole time. At some point he should have looked at badge numbers/names/car identifier/etc. But people **** up too now and then :)

I think you are missing his point. He was obviously fearful of being seen as "resistant", which would include obviously gathering information on the cops. And it's easy to imagine how one could overlook the markings on a patrol car. Not all of them are easy to identify.

Put yourself in your position if you can. There's no camera or microphone recording what's happening.

it's not " just because ", as I already stated. It's a lack of pertinent facts, such as the name of the cop, which department, any identifying specifics....

Bill Cosby's situation has zero relevance to this story (unless the existence of one dishonest black man is reason to doubt the word of all black men...a position otherwise known as stereotyping, prejudice, and racism).

I cannot prove the writer is telling the truth, but neither can a reader prove he is lying simple from his narrative. But based on the American judicial principle of "innocent until proven guilty", as well as my personal religious faith and moral conviction that I should give people the assumption of trust and goodness until demonstrated otherwise, I would never jump to the conclusions that the narrative must be fiction, or call the writer a liar with no better evidence.

Actually, I find many of the details of the story compelling: The reported conversations between himself and the LE officers (in both the comedy night and toolbox stories) seem quite detailed to me. The presence of another witness (his wife) is a factor that could easily be refuted if one wished to investigate. And the editor's note preceding the article speaks well as a character witness. Not one of these is proof of the veracity of his account, but they are stronger evidence than "I just don't believe it, it doesn't 'sit well' with me".

His personal experience as a black man dealing with law enforcement should speak for itself.

it's not " just because ", as I already stated. It's a lack of pertinent facts, such as the name of the cop, which department, any identifying specifics....

he gave absolutely nothing that can be disputed. By design? I do think it would be nearly impossible to be engaged that long and not notice ANYTHING at all that could identify who was terrorizing you. In my area you might encounter city,county,or state LE. All cars are different even color. He seems to be a gifted writer. That takes perception and imagination. He was pretty detailed where he needed to be for his purpose.

Many aspects of the UVA rape story printed in Rolling Stone were also compelling. Same goes with the Duke lacrosse case. Just because something seems compelling doesn't mean it is true.

Unless it's something YOU want to believe or not believe for whatever reason that may be

Unless it's something YOU want to believe or not believe for whatever reason that may be

He has very convenient criteria for what he believes to be the "truth".

It aint whats reel that madders. Its what I want to be reel that madders. Perhaps the ultimate stupidity.

Many aspects of the UVA rape story printed in Rolling Stone were also compelling. Same goes with the Duke lacrosse case. Just because something seems compelling doesn't mean it is true.

I was just arguing this point with you yesterday about the Hoover article. Should I start charging for schooling you?

Archived