Auburn #6 in the AP preseason Poll

vatz22au

Alabama is #3, huh? 2 weeks until the season. Who is their QB?

Same question as last year though.....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bama's defense sounds phenomenal according to reports

I can't see them getting blown out unless none of their QBs pan out

They also are practicing against their own offense, which will either be led by a true freshman or a guy who couldn't beat out a converted running back.

That moment when you realize that converted RB had more TDs than our converted DB...

In any case, Barnett is supposedly doing good and of course they got talent across the board. Playing against that offense is not easy for many teams

According to Bammers it's 1A Coker with 1A Morris.

Im beginning to think that DTR is actually a Bammer. I know I'm not the first one on here to think this.

you

you call me what you want friend, but to make light of an offense that is severely talented and hasn't been bad for a good while is more Bammerish than pointing out logic flaws. Matter of fact, tell me exactly what is wrong with what I said? Marshall had 1 year at DB and one at QB. Sims had a year I believe at RB and then the rest were back up QB gigs. They both had equal experiences with this conversion thing. To use that as an insult is again, pretty Bammerish

back on topic and away from false claims, ESPN notified me (via sports center app) that the previous 6 preseason top 10 teams from Auburn haven't reached a spot higher than #9 when it was all said and done.

I think the majority of this site is sort of realistic in saying that would be a success with such a young team, but not me. I hope we make a #5-10 positioning as a bottom of the barrel and anything lower a disappointment

back on topic and away from false claims, ESPN notified me (via sports center app) that the previous 6 preseason top 10 teams from Auburn haven't reached a spot higher than #9 when it was all said and done.

I think the majority of this site is sort of realistic in saying that would be a success with such a young team, but not me. I hope we make a #5-10 positioning as a bottom of the barrel and anything lower a disappointment

Last year we had a senior laden team with an experienced QB returning...and got what? a big disappointment.

This year: young team, new QB......could this be a team that is over-rated in the pre-season. ......all because of expectations brought about by the hiring of Muschamp?

Our defense doesn't have to be very good, but to think it will go from horrible to acceptable in one year is hoping for a lot. New QB, new RB, and so forth. As much as I'd like to see us finish 15-0, I don't see Auburn in the top ten at year's end, unless a 9-3 record gets us in there.

Bama's defense sounds phenomenal according to reports

I can't see them getting blown out unless none of their QBs pan out

They also are practicing against their own offense, which will either be led by a true freshman or a guy who couldn't beat out a converted running back.

That moment when you realize that converted RB had more TDs than our converted DB...

In any case, Barnett is supposedly doing good and of course they got talent across the board. Playing against that offense is not easy for many teams

According to Bammers it's 1A Coker with 1A Morris.

Im beginning to think that DTR is actually a Bammer. I know I'm not the first one on here to think this.

No he just countered your logic with better logic, apparently you had nothing else so you called him a bammer

Our defense doesn't have to be very good, but to think it will go from horrible to acceptable in one year is hoping for a lot. New QB, new RB, and so forth. As much as I'd like to see us finish 15-0, I don't see Auburn in the top ten at year's end, unless a 9-3 record gets us in there.

I don't think going from horrible to acceptable is too much, I do think going undefeated is hoping for alot. I think people are underestimating many of the teams on our schedule this year

Last year we had a senior laden team with an experienced QB returning...and got what? a big disappointment.

This year: young team, new QB......could this be a team that is over-rated in the pre-season. ......all because of expectations brought about by the hiring of Muschamp?

I know why we're ranked this high, but preseason is a "paper" game. This is all played on paper. We'll see how good this offense really is very soon

I'd like to see those numbers for uat/uga/lsu for the last 6 seasons as well. They are usually ranked pretty high in the preseason - how do they finish?

I will be honest. I think we are over rated to start this year. 8-5 the year before and all of a sudden ranked 6th with a new qb, defensive coordinator and youth galore? But if we win it give us a leg up, so Go Tigers!!! The hope for Auburn is this year (as opposed to last) no injuries, no problems with in the "family", and the luck we lost....

The thinking behind our ranking is that the new QB and D coordinator are significant upgrades. Let's face it, we shouldn't have lost a couple of the games we did last year. If we upgrade on D, that's up to a 10-win season. Plus, our schedule is more favorable this year. It's not overrating us, IMO.

One of the odder pre-sesesons as far as skewed perceptions IMO. Consider

#1 Ohio State (61) (last season: joke schedule yet lost to VA TECH, limped into #4 playoff spot over TCU then beat Bama by a TD then a ducks team that apparently didn't leave their flight from Eugene. Urban Myth still has 1 undefeated season (Utah). So OSU is now an undisputed juggernaut?).

#2 TCU (lost once last year, to a 1 loss Baylor squad by a field goal. Obliterated Ole Siss in bowl. Solid top 5 team)

#3 Alabama (yep)

#4 Baylor (last season: lost to a 6-loss W. Va squad but beat TCU by 3. They play TWO teams this season in this pre season top 25...#2 & #19. So if they beat TCU they're suddenly golden? :-\)

#5 Michigan State (a sign of the apocalypse, Ohio State vs Michigan State for #1 playoff spot?)

#6 Auburn (very, very generous after a 5 loss season. Proves the AP pre season poll is a PREDICTION of how teams will finish, rather than where they are based on recent field performance).

#7 Oregon (sounds right)

#8 USC (the West Coast Neutered Dame as far as perennial over-ratedness).

#9 Georgia (about right...but where's GT? Lose to Duke & NC - it then doesn't matter WHO you beat)

#10 Florida State (FSU vs Clemson or TCU vs Baylor or Ohio Sate vs Mich State for most overrated matchup in 2015?

fwiw, Leonard Fournette finishing like 5th in the SEC but running through ND + his own Heisman pose hype makes this guy the flavor of the week? Odd.

I will be honest. I think we are over rated to start this year. 8-5 the year before and all of a sudden ranked 6th with a new qb, defensive coordinator and youth galore? But if we win it give us a leg up, so Go Tigers!!! The hope for Auburn is this year (as opposed to last) no injuries, no problems with in the "family", and the luck we lost....

The thinking behind our ranking is that the new QB and D coordinator are significant upgrades. Let's face it, we shouldn't have lost a couple of the games we did last year. If we upgrade on D, that's up to a 10-win season. Plus, our schedule is more favorable this year. It's not overrating us, IMO.

What you say is probably accurate...but a 10 win season will not result in a top 10 rating......JMO but to stay in the top 10 when all is said and done, we at least have to win the SEC West....and /or win our bowl game . Not an easy task...probably taking at least 11 wins overall...maybe 12. Lots of teams out there are probably going to win 11 or 12 games.

No matter what the ratings say, I know Petrino will come to town and use every trick in the book, especially since it is Auburn he is coaching against. Gus and Will must have the team ready to play. IMHO

Horrible to acceptable should be expected. Acceptable is like what, in the 60s? We can't get a 60th ranked defense?

What you say is probably accurate...but a 10 win season will not result in a top 10 rating......JMO but to stay in the top 10 when all is said and done, we at least have to win the SEC West....and /or win our bowl game . Not an easy task...probably taking at least 11 wins overall...maybe 12. Lots of teams out there are probably going to win 11 or 12 games.

If either Bama or we have only one loss, we'll be top 10 even if we don't win the SEC. But agree, that would mean having to win our bowl game.

The 2014 AP preseason top 5:

Florida State

Alabama

Oregon

Oklahoma

Ohio State

They whiffed badly on Oklahoma (due largely to overhyped expectations of a QB based on one game), but got all 4 playoff participants in the top 5. That has to be some sort of record.

This year's top 5:

Ohio State

TCU

Alabama

Baylor

Michigan State

I don't see them repeating the same success this year. TCU and Baylor will not both make it into the playoff; same with OSU and MSU. With Auburn sitting at #6, that would put AU in the playoff if they are almost as accurate as last year (but if we get in, Bama won't, so that brings in Oregon at #7). Let's hope we don't suffer from overhyped QB expectations based on limited playing time that don't come to fruition.

Horrible to acceptable should be expected. Acceptable is like what, in the 60s? We can't get a 60th ranked defense?

If acceptable is in the 60's, then we were acceptable last year. We finished 63rd in average points allowed, which is about the only category that really matters defensively.

I think you miscounted the number of ranked opponents for UAT. I see 7, not 9.

Overrated = FSU and UGA

I like our spot at #6. Getting respect but still room to improve and still be in a slight underdog role.

**Every team ranked in the AP Top 10 except FSU will play a top 10 AP Poll ranked team...that's interesting. ---subject to change in season

**Auburn plays 5 Top 25 teams ranked ---subject to change in season

**The turds will play 9 ranked teams in the AP..although that's subject to change b/c of in season rankings and Ohio St. plays just 1 ranked team. If I was an OSU fan…I’d make flight, hotel and ticket arrangements NOW! Lol. But anything can happen!

I think you miscounted the number of ranked opponents for UAT. I see 7, not 9.

Overrated = FSU and UGA

I like our spot at #6. Getting respect but still room to improve and still be in a slight underdog role.

**Every team ranked in the AP Top 10 except FSU will play a top 10 AP Poll ranked team...that's interesting. ---subject to change in season

**Auburn plays 5 Top 25 teams ranked ---subject to change in season

**The turds will play 9 ranked teams in the AP..although that's subject to change b/c of in season rankings and Ohio St. plays just 1 ranked team. If I was an OSU fan…I’d make flight, hotel and ticket arrangements NOW! Lol. But anything can happen!

Thanks for catching that! Correction made. :thumbsup:

60s is middle in the pack, I guess most of us would enjoy a top 50 defense, above acceptable. I personally see us finishing in the late 40s

60s is middle in the pack, I guess most of us would enjoy a top 50 defense, above acceptable. I personally see us finishing in the late 40s

Are you conversing with yourself?

The 2010 defense ended ranked 60th nationally, up from 68th total in 2009. Auburn finished 66th nationally in 2014. I don't think a 40-50th ranking will be hard to come by. I'm thinking top 30 given Muschamp's track record is more reasonable, maybe a top 25, but certainly 40ish is possible.

Are you conversing with yourself?

Was I conversing with you?

The 2010 defense ended ranked 60th nationally, up from 68th total in 2009. Auburn finished 66th nationally in 2014. I don't think a 40-50th ranking will be hard to come by. I'm thinking top 30 given Muschamp's track record is more reasonable, maybe a top 25, but certainly 40ish is possible.

Muschamp probably expects top 25

Archived