Cole Cubelic reviews AU OL

McLoofus

Sorry you see the truth as whining.

If my daughter complains that she didn't get dessert, then it might be the truth. If she's still talking about it 4 days later, she's whining.

(Particularly if she's doing it in the middle of a conversation about a different topic when there are multiple- like, SO many- other conversations already dealing ad nauseam with her "truth". Alas, here I am pissing all over the thread now.)

I'm surprised nobody's brought up Cole's thoughts on Kozan yet. He was projected to be one of our best guys.

Well...this thread was also in reference to Cole Cubelic. And I simply wondered what HIS view on our opponent's performance would have been. And there was no other thread about Cole Cubelic's analysis before this one that I saw. Anyway, I am duly admonished.

That 2013 OL seemed like one of the best offensive lines in SEC history even as it was happening. No hindsight was necessary to appreciate the way that group dominated games.

As for this discussion, McLoofus, I don't think folks are talking about Kozan because I think his struggles were apparent. He looked like a shell of the guy we saw in 2013, which depressed me. As a result, I focused on how much better Danzey looked in the second half than he did last season. I expect him to start this week. He was the more physical guy, and the run game took off with him and Barber in the game.

Good stuff. Cube definitely seemed to be impressed with Danzey's attitude and physicality, also. I'll keep an eye on that.

Hopefully with Kozan it is just a matter of knocking off the rust. Maybe a little time backing up Danzey will help him get game fit again. Or maybe he didn't get as much help from Golson and Coleman as he did from that 2nd overall pick and that eventual 4-year starter at center in 2013.

Coleman/Golson certainly weren't Robinson/Dismukes, but Kozan was just not making an impact. In 2013, he was quick to the punch, athletic on the pull, and a real difference maker at LG. Even then, he wasn't overwhelmingly strong, but he was a technician with plus quickness for the interior spot and enough drive off the ball. Last Saturday, he lacked quickness, seemed to get no push off the line, and as Cubelic notes, used poor technique. I'm hopeful that time will heal some of that, but based on what we just saw, I don't know how that was a tight competition.

Coleman/Golson certainly weren't Robinson/Dismukes, but Kozan was just not making an impact. In 2013, he was quick to the punch, athletic on the pull, and a real difference maker at LG. Even then, he wasn't overwhelmingly strong, but he was a technician with plus quickness for the interior spot and enough drive off the ball. Last Saturday, he lacked quickness, seemed to get no push off the line, and as Cubelic notes, used poor technique. I'm hopeful that time will heal some of that, but based on what we just saw, I don't know how that was a tight competition.

All I know is that the offensive line was able to impose it's will in the 2nd half when we needed to run the ball. We are not talking about plays breaking down and a QB scrambling for a first. Our OL pushed the UL DL backwards in order to score the last TD. And they knew it was coming because we were struggling with the pass.

That was refreshing.

Also JJ had plenty of time to throw almost all night.

Other than a few VERY COSTLY penalties, they played great.

All I know is that the offensive line was able to impose it's will in the 2nd half when we needed to run the ball. We are not talking about plays breaking down and a QB scrambling for a first. Our OL pushed the UL DL backwards in order to score the last TD. And they knew it was coming because we were struggling with the pass.

That was refreshing.

Also JJ had plenty of time to throw almost all night.

Other than a few VERY COSTLY penalties, they played great.

Yeah I think Cole's outlook on the amount of time our QB will have in the pocket may have been a bit extreme, but Jeremy was forced out the pocket a few times, whether because of the OL or his unwillingness to settle with the short ball, I don't know

Honestly, I wonder how much he's getting the benefit of the doubt based on his play in 2013. Also, he did miss a lot of time with the injury, so he may just need a little more time to get back up to full speed.

The more interesting question is why McLoofus thinks that just because he posts a thread on a topic, it's going to stay on topic. Talk about unrealistic expectations!

The more interesting question is why McLoofus thinks that just because he posts a thread on a topic, it's going to stay on topic. Talk about unrealistic expectations!

I'm somehow equal parts cynical and naive.

Sorry you see the truth as whining.

If my daughter complains that she didn't get dessert, then it might be the truth. If she's still talking about it 4 days later, she's whining.

(Particularly if she's doing it in the middle of a conversation about a different topic when there are multiple- like, SO many- other conversations already dealing ad nauseam with her "truth". Alas, here I am pissing all over the thread now.)

I'm surprised nobody's brought up Cole's thoughts on Kozan yet. He was projected to be one of our best guys.

Well...this thread was also in reference to Cole Cubelic. And I simply wondered what HIS view on our opponent's performance would have been. And there was no other thread about Cole Cubelic's analysis before this one that I saw. Anyway, I am duly admonished.

It's not like Cubelic didn't mention the holding calls by the AU line. So when considering that topic, it's perfectly logical for fans to make fair comparisons to Louisville. In fact, it's illogical to think that would not be the case. Therefore, you are officially de-admonished.

:laugh:

So, 50/50. Got it.

That 2013 OL seemed like one of the best offensive lines in SEC history even as it was happening. No hindsight was necessary to appreciate the way that group dominated games.

As for this discussion, McLoofus, I don't think folks are talking about Kozan because I think his struggles were apparent. He looked like a shell of the guy we saw in 2013, which depressed me. As a result, I focused on how much better Danzey looked in the second half than he did last season. I expect him to start this week. He was the more physical guy, and the run game took off with him and Barber in the game.

If memory serves, they were not that wonderful the first 3 or 4 games. I didn't google it, but I believe I'm right. I bet I find out soon.

:laugh:/>

So, 50/50. Got it.

Go Lobos?

That's better than the status quo among most people these days:

Equal parts ignorant and arrogant.

:laugh:/>

So, 50/50. Got it.

Go Lobos?

#FireTRob

Sweet, I was totally hoping this would turn into yet another thread where we complain about Louisville's holding last Saturday. Very instructive for what we might expect out of our OL going forward. Crucial, really, for projecting how our season will go IYAM.

Just wondering, is it effective to whine about whining? Wonder if Stat has any numbers on that ;D

Sweet, I was totally hoping this would turn into yet another thread where we complain about Louisville's holding last Saturday. Very instructive for what we might expect out of our OL going forward. Crucial, really, for projecting how our season will go IYAM.

Just wondering, is it effective to whine about whining? Wonder if Stat has any numbers on that ;D/>

Don't need Stat for this one. I can speak from experience that it is not. :)

you can say that again. Again

I think the 2013 OL started to dominate as soon as we started using NM and Mason with the zone read

This "spread" offense is greatly aided by the threat that the QB will run. Unless he can pass efficiently. We did neither against Louisville.

Not worried about the O-line.The front 7 on the UL defense was supposedly their strength.The O-line IMO played pretty well and just need a game or two to jell.Kozan may take time to get back to his old self a year away from the game is tough.

Archived