1. 1. Who should be the Auburn Family Player of the Game

• Peyton Barber 23 125 5.4 1 21 1 9 9.0 0 9
    • Ricardo Louis 1 3 3.0 0 3 10 76 7.6 0 13
    • Roc Thomas 8 22 2.8 0 7 2 73 36.5 1 51
    • Johnathan Ford 9 solo 3 assists 1int
    • Casanova McKinzy 8 solo 5 assists 3TFL 2sacks
    • Montravious Adams 2 solo 4 assists

Honorable mention to Daniel Carlson.

Disagree. He could have cost us the game by kicking the ball out of bounds late. I think we're underselling how monumentally lucky we are and how monumentally stupid it was of the Jacksonville State coach to take a knee when all he needed was 30 yards to at least have a shot at winning in regulation, particularly when his quarterback was 16 of 17 to their 2 best WRs at one point late in the 2nd half.

We only beat an FCS team because their coach chose not to beat us.

New week, same vote from me - Barber.

The great individual efforts by Adams, Cass and Ford didn't go unnoticed by me, though.

Ricardo is solid.

Anyone who says our guys aren't trying isn't watching the games, in my opinion.

Disagree. He could have cost us the game by kicking the ball out of bounds late. I think we're underselling how monumentally lucky we are and how monumentally stupid it was of the Jacksonville State coach to take a knee when all he needed was 30 yards to at least have a shot at winning in regulation, particularly when his quarterback was 16 of 17 to their 2 best WRs at one point late in the 2nd half.

Fair enough, but I sure am glad he made his kicks.

I would be inclined to think he had more faith in his team's ability to win in OT than the potential mistakes that could cost them the game by pushing it with 00:39 in regulation. They had been lucky with fumbles throughout the game, and an untimely one there while in a hurry can easily become a TD the other way. Our defense was subject to pick off another rainbow pass, and Rudy Ford is definitely a threat to return an interception for TD (or at least return it far enough for our much better FG unit). JSU's coach works in Alabama, he's definitely heard of the Kick Six before.

They were in a position to pull off the unthinkable upset. I think I would have went for OT as well, rather than risk something foolish in the pressure of 00:39. Our offense was certainly inconsistent enough to lead them to believe they had a better than average chance of winning in OT.

I would be inclined to think he had more faith in his team's ability to win in OT than the potential mistakes that could cost them the game by pushing it with 00:39 in regulation.

Rather contradictory sentiments, no?

They had been lucky with fumbles throughout the game, and an untimely one there while in a hurry can easily become a TD the other way.

Does that make a turnover there a more likely outcome than lining up against a vastly more talented- albeit underachieving- team with equal shots at the end zone and coming out on top? Especially when 1) you'd been marching up and down the field all day but had only scored 2 touchdowns, 2) your QB had been throwing precise passes to the sideline all day and 3) your opponent's offense had just gotten their offense going with a touchdown?

Our defense was subject to pick off another rainbow pass

I disagree. Our coverage had been good, but their QB had been better all day.

JSU's coach works in Alabama, he's definitely heard of the Kick Six before.

Well, yes, most folks had heard of the greatest play in college football history. The thing about greatest plays in college football history, though, is that they don't tend to happen all that often. The last ones happened over 30 years ago.

They were in a position to pull off the unthinkable upset.

Yes, and on the road, too. Which is exactly why they should have taken every opportunity to strike while the iron was hot. Instead they went away from what had had gotten them there and consequently lost (it wasn't just the kneel-down, it was also the ultra-conservative playcalling on the previous possession).

I think I would have went for OT as well, rather than risk something foolish in the pressure of 00:39. Our offense was certainly inconsistent enough to lead them to believe they had a better than average chance of winning in OT.

You're right that our offense underperformed all day, but the last time we touched the ball, we put it in.

We got very lucky.

Archived