White starting - CONFIRMED

Quietmaninthecorner

We need someone who has the quick thinking muscle in between the ears. Not sure if JJ just got stage-fright or what... I felt sorry for him. Kinda reminded me of a guy I used to work with that was brilliant but when it came time to give a presentation in front of a group of 35-40 people, he literally got so nervous he ran out of the room and threw up in a trash can.

Not sure if that was JJ's issue or what, but for whatever reason it reminded me of it. Hopefully taking a backseat for a bit will shake him up a little or resolve somethings. The AU Family is still behind you Jeremy, wishing the best!

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of feelings going around for Jeremy and I'm not really sure why. This is big boy sports and guys lose their spots all the time. The attitude is usually "Well, next man up". Why is it different for a guy who got a much longer leash than can really be explained? He's out because of poor performance...that's on him. You know who I feel bad for? Carl Lawson.

The thing with JJ was that the media latched onto him and hyped the hell out of him before he had the opportunity to earn that hype. It wasn't fair to him. There's nothing wrong with expressing compassion for the guy. You bring up a good point about Carl, though. We have kinda glossed over the news of his extended recovery time.

Jason Smith taking QB reps REALLY interests me. May open the door for next year to have an actual QB battle of guys on THIS roster

Really? So you get your wish, Gus names SW the starter and this is all you can say? What a complete tool U R!!

If Sean is constantly put into 3rd and 7's every 3rd down.....I just don't think he'll be successful. If they run read option and Sean never runs the ball he will be put in the same situation...

Lots of feelings going around for Jeremy and I'm not really sure why. This is big boy sports and guys lose their spots all the time. The attitude is usually "Well, next man up". Why is it different for a guy who got a much longer leash than can really be explained? He's out because of poor performance...that's on him. You know who I feel bad for? Carl Lawson.

Why do you care if people feel bad for JJ? Did you lose money on him or something? I'd say it is hard work to be on the football team so the guy has been working hard for 2.5 years to be good and he failed pretty badly. I don't know why you wouldn't feel bad for him unless you take his poor play personally and if that's the case you need to dial it back a notch.

I'm really interested to see Sean play. I think we have lots of problems other than QB (looking at you OL). But something had to change and glad to see Gus giving someone else a shot.

The thing with JJ was that the media latched onto him and hyped the hell out of him before he had the opportunity to earn that hype. It wasn't fair to him. There's nothing wrong with expressing compassion for the guy. You bring up a good point about Carl, though. We have kinda glossed over the news of his extended recovery time.

The media didn't hype up JJ nearly as much as his coaches and fans did, IMO.

And chimes, I'm one who's both been clamoring for this decision and hurting for Jeremy. I'm not hurt for him because he's not starting Saturday, I just hurt for anybody whose reality falls so far short of their expectations. And, yeah, it might be his fault. But that probably stings even more.

JJ has not played up to his true potential this year but I don't feel all the blame falls on him. Honestly Gus/Lashlee have not put him in the best position to be successful. Our offense is setup by the run and we have gotten away from that. The only way a QB in our system can be successful is by establishing the run. We saw evidence of that the second half of the LSU game. I don't think JJ just forgot how to read defenses overnight. If this turns out to be the best move then I'll go with it but I think we abandoned JJ too quickly.

Sorry but some of his passes have been literally right to the defender. Gus did the "right" thing by taking blame early on but JJ not having success is solely on what's going on between the ears.

Jason Smith taking QB reps REALLY interests me. May open the door for next year to have an actual QB battle of guys on THIS roster

Really? So you get your wish, Gus names SW the starter and this is all you can say? What a complete tool U R!!

What has happened to you?

I'm not sure why name calling was needed for his post. Perhaps part of DTR's interest is that it may add a wildcat component to our offense and throw a wrinkle at our opponents?

If Sean is constantly put into 3rd and 7's every 3rd down.....I just don't think he'll be successful. If they run read option and Sean never runs the ball he will be put in the same situation...

I hear you and, I agree but, 3rd and whatever is not an excuse for throwing it up for grabs.

Why do you care if people feel bad for JJ? Did you lose money on him or something? I'd say it is hard work to be on the football team so the guy has been working hard for 2.5 years to be good and he failed pretty badly. I don't know why you wouldn't feel bad for him unless you take his poor play personally and if that's the case you need to dial it back a notch.

I'm really interested to see Sean play. I think we have lots of problems other than QB (looking at you OL). But something had to change and glad to see Gus giving someone else a shot.

I said I didn't understand it and gave reasons why. You, for some reason, decided to turn it personal and accuse me of "needing to dial it back". Would y'all shed this many tears if Frost was benched?

I made valid points. Refute them.

The O-line played pretty well against LSU,it's the WR's and the H-back(mostly COX,Pettway did good))blocking that was terrible.

Hopefully they'll open up the playbook with a new QB taking snaps. If we still get vanilla plays and lazy receivers, we'll get the same product.

It's going to be interesting to say the least.

I agree. We have to take some deep shots down the field. Without that threat, we aren't very threatening.

Hopefully they'll open up the playbook with a new QB taking snaps. If we still get vanilla plays and lazy receivers, we'll get the same product.

It's going to be interesting to say the least.

Gotta disagree there. I just don't see the proliferation of interceptions happening again. It can't be said enough: Jeremy has been the worst SEC QB through 3 games in 6 years. That includes QBs at Vandy, Kentucky, USC, Arkansas, Florida and Tennessee during some pretty down years. Hell, he's playing almost as badly as our guys did in 2012, statistically speaking. I'm firmly in the "can't be worse" camp.

Sorry, but the media is not to blame here, but our own marketing department and coaches who fueled the hype. The media just took that and ran with it. There's no hype if Auburn isn't fueling the hype.

JJ has not played up to his true potential this year but I don't feel all the blame falls on him. Honestly Gus/Lashlee have not put him in the best position to be successful. Our offense is setup by the run and we have gotten away from that. The only way a QB in our system can be successful is by establishing the run. We saw evidence of that the second half of the LSU game. I don't think JJ just forgot how to read defenses overnight. If this turns out to be the best move then I'll go with it but I think we abandoned JJ too quickly.

I'm sure that we will both take a hit for this, but I'm in the same boat. We seemed to get away from what made Gus successful in the first 2 1/2 games. In the second half against LSU, it seems like we went back to a downhill run-play action offense, and Johnson looked more comfortable.

I'm concerned that we will have even less of a running game with an immobile white at quarterback, and (with White's smaller arm)I am concerned that our offense will look even worse without the ability to stretch the defense vertically. I also don't think that Johnson will react well from a confidence standpoint moving forward. The coaches have made the statement that they don't have confidence in him. If White doesn't work, we will have to look elsewhere, because I don't think Johnson will be able to come back in with any confidence.

Simply put, the coaches better have made the right decision, and better be committed to using a lot of trick plays. If White doesn't work out, we are in a lot of trouble.

Seriously.

I'm sure that we will both take a hit for this, but I'm in the same boat. We seemed to get away from what made Gus successful in the first 2 1/2 games. In the second half against LSU, it seems like we went back to a downhill run-play action offense, and Johnson looked more comfortable.

I'm concerned that we will have even less of a running game with an immobile white at quarterback, and (with White's smaller arm)I am concerned that our offense will look even worse without the ability to stretch the defense vertically. I also don't think that Johnson will react well from a confidence standpoint moving forward. The coaches have made the statement that they don't have confidence in him. If White doesn't work, we will have to look elsewhere, because I don't think Johnson will be able to come back in with any confidence.

Simply put, the coaches better have made the right decision, and better be committed to using a lot of trick plays. If White doesn't work out, we are in a lot of trouble.

Weren't we already there?

I said I didn't understand it and gave reasons why. You, for some reason, decided to turn it personal and accuse me of "needing to dial it back". Would y'all shed this many tears if Frost was benched?

I made valid points. Refute them.

Personally yeah I would feel bad for Frost. For the same reason I feel bad for Johnson. These guys aren't trying to play poorly. Not sure what you want me to refute though. Your questions seemed hypothetical to me but I could be wrong. So unless I've miss read your post completely, you seem to take issue with people feeling bad for JJ. Why is that if you didn't take his poor play personally?

I can tell you that these guys don't read message boards, but they don't have their heads in the sand either. As mentioned on another thread, Rhett Is as big as a competitor as they come, and he had to see the writing on the wall...this was the only choice.

IMO: I also think that Urbans decision to pull his championship QB over poor play helps the staff see that what's best for the team is often a hard personal decision to make.

Seriously.

Tool?

We were all pulling for JJ dude... I wish he was playing to the level he CAN play to, but he's not. This is a strategy not a lifetime commitment.

If I had to guess, I'd say this guy has what it takes. I've been a staunch supporter of SW since he signed. Hope I am right! Also, go watch his UA game highlights...impressive.... and witness checkdowns all throughout his senior highlights.

Archived