White starting - CONFIRMED

Quietmaninthecorner

Yes, something had to be done. Jeremy's confidence is shot. Maybe he will be better coming off the bench as he has done the past couple of years. I just don't think it was fair to him or the rest of the team to just leave him in there struggling the way he has been the first 3 games. I think back to the way Jason Campbell looked till he was a senior. Hopefully Jeremy can come back and play the way we know he can some day.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks be to the football gods!! Sean can do no worse than JJ has been doing and I look at this as a great investment in our future. If this kid does good we could have a 3 - 4 year starter at QB. Anyone remember the last time that happened?

I wish Young Mr. White all the best..... But remember, those that called for this change must now own it..............

Sure but, even if the results are the same, you cannot keep beating your head against the same wall and, it may help JJ regain composure and perspective.

I am sad beyond words for JJ, who is a great guy and Auburn man. That said, the offense had little to no spark, and something had to change. And that lack of spark also hit the defense.

There is too much talent on this team to be playing the way AU has been playing.

JJ, keep working! One never knows what the future holds.

I think a change was needed. I am optimistic that Sean White will produce based on HS Highlights and the All Star game. But this is big boy football so until we see him play at this level we have no way of knowing how good he will be. Let's temper our enthusiasm a little and try not to put to much pressure on a Red Shirt Freshman. I will be happy if he can manage the game make solid reads both on run and pass and not hurt us in his first game. If he can bring more great. Now need O-Line, receivers, RB's to step up and help him while getting a solid defensive performance without Carl Lawson.

I wish Young Mr. White all the best..... But remember, those that called for this change must now own it..............

That's fine if those who object to the change are willing to "own" what has gone on so far this year.

Frankly, no matter how it works out with #13, IMO this is something that needs to be done...or otherwise, we are saying that the level of play in the first 3 games (with no evidence of improvement) is good enough for Auburn.

Ring a ding ding

I would have called White's number way before now. JJ does not read the defense, stares down the receiver, resulting in many interceptions. Turnovers get you beat. Our offense is 13th in the SEC. I don't think that Gus had any choice logically but to give White a try. Wish Sean the best and WAR EAGLE!!!!!

I am sad beyond words for JJ, who is a great guy and Auburn man. That said, the offense had little to no spark, and something had to change. And that lack of spark also hit the defense.

There is too much talent on this team to be playing the way AU has been playing.

Agreed. One man's loss is another's gain. I'm excited for SW, but sad for JJ. He just needs to keep his head up, and hopefully this will motivate him to improve.

I feel bad for Jeremy. But his play failed to merit him continuing as the starter. I believe he would have done better in a zone read offense.

Hope Sean brings us the results we expect!

Yeah I can't help but think back to similar conversations that were had about needing Kodi Burns to be made the starter or Jonathan Wallace. Just because we got a change doesn't mean we are going to be happy with it.

Absolutely...as we've noted many times, the backup QB is just one play from having to go out after the starter is injured. I hope (shoot, I pray) that JJ does not consider that his year is done. He must be ready to play in a moment's notice and should keep his head in the game at all times...whether he is on the field or not.

I'm hoping SW had that same understanding for the first 3 games and is prepared for his opportunity.

Wow, kinda surprised it came this quick into the week. I wonder if JJs response in that interview was pointing toward a lack of confidence. Almost like he hoped to be taken out. It also makes Miss state think a little more in game planning. As far as mobility goes, JJ had good top end speed for QB on designed runs, but was not quick escaping the pocket. He was getting caught at the line before getting free. I think Sean will be better accerelating out on a scramble, which gets you into the next level to make a few positive yards. We could use that deadly accuracy to get the receivers going that is supposed to be a strength.

Jeremy Johnson wasn't going to improve because the problem is between the ears. Mr Potato head would be a better qb at this time. So I'm glad SW will play if he sucks it can't be worse then what we've been blessed to see.

I feel bad for JJ but he was looking like the So/Jr Jason Campbell x100. I'm hoping Sean can make some good things happen and that JJ keeps his head up and karma rewards him appropriately in the near future.

Best of luck to Sean!!

We need him to step up and we need the other players to step up even more. We have been backed into a corner. I am looking forward on seeing how the team responds.

Lots of feelings going around for Jeremy and I'm not really sure why. This is big boy sports and guys lose their spots all the time. The attitude is usually "Well, next man up". Why is it different for a guy who got a much longer leash than can really be explained? He's out because of poor performance...that's on him. You know who I feel bad for? Carl Lawson.

The past two days everybody on here were calling for a Juco QB that was really fast.....Now, everybody is claiming they wanted this.

What pure entertainment

I'm fine with the change as long as nobody tries to bite my head off on the same criticisms if the same stuff happen

This. And this is also why i'm holding out on the our season is saved talk. Until SW goes in and leads the offense like a pro, we are still 2-1 and in need of an identity

JJ has not played up to his true potential this year but I don't feel all the blame falls on him. Honestly Gus/Lashlee have not put him in the best position to be successful. Our offense is setup by the run and we have gotten away from that. The only way a QB in our system can be successful is by establishing the run. We saw evidence of that the second half of the LSU game. I don't think JJ just forgot how to read defenses overnight. If this turns out to be the best move then I'll go with it but I think we abandoned JJ too quickly.

The past two days everybody on here were calling for a Juco QB that was really fast.....Now, everybody is claiming they wanted this.

What pure entertainment

I think they wanted anyone but JJ., don't think it mattered who it was. If your referring to Jason Smith I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the wildcat. He hasn't been playing the true qb position so it would be hard to star him with only two days of past reps.

Posts already reading like those for JJ in August. Yet unlike JJ in August, Sean has ZERO college game day snaps yet. Our running game and defense will likely dictate whether we win or lose this week, not Sean White (whose first start marching orders are likely "just don't LOSE the game for us"). Though Gus said last Spring that Sean knows the entire playbook.

May Sean's honeymoon lasts longer than JJ's. On a human level, I feel devastated for JJ - a proven athlete and selfless person in the eye of a storm. I hope he gets his day again to be a hero and under better circumstances than he had in September, 2015.

Archived