White starting - CONFIRMED

Quietmaninthecorner

I'm concerned that we will have even less of a running game with an immobile white at quarterback

How much of his film have you watched? He's actually far more mobile than Jeremy has demonstrated in actual game play.

and (with White's smaller arm)I am concerned that our offense will look even worse without the ability to stretch the defense vertically

Again, I'm not sure you've watched much of White's film. Stretching the field vertically doesn't require a cannon. An adequate arm controlled by an adequate brain is far more effective. We're almost certainly in for an upgrade in the latter area.

I also don't think that Johnson will react well from a confidence standpoint moving forward. The coaches have made the statement that they don't have confidence in him.

And trotting him back out there week after week to fail miserably is better?

Simply put, the coaches better have made the right decision, and better be committed to using a lot of trick plays.

Huh?

If White doesn't work out, we are in a lot of trouble.

LOL

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is a good decision. I believe it will energize the team and that we'll see a lot more Auburn spirit on the field Saturday.

Not sure why it's so hard for Gus and crew to make and implement these decisions when other teams do it all the time. Is it the difference between thinking it's the right thing to do and feeling it's the right thing to do?

Lots of feelings going around for Jeremy and I'm not really sure why. This is big boy sports and guys lose their spots all the time. The attitude is usually "Well, next man up". Why is it different for a guy who got a much longer leash than can really be explained? He's out because of poor performance...that's on him. You know who I feel bad for? Carl Lawson.

The thing with JJ was that the media latched onto him and hyped the hell out of him before he had the opportunity to earn that hype. It wasn't fair to him. There's nothing wrong with expressing compassion for the guy. You bring up a good point about Carl, though. We have kinda glossed over the news of his extended recovery time.

Sorry, but the media is not to blame here, but our own marketing department and coaches who fueled the hype. The media just took that and ran with it. There's no hype if Auburn isn't fueling the hype.

Afraid you are right...and from what I've noticed, Gus has been way too vocally optimistic about this year ....and about JJ.

Lots of feelings going around for Jeremy and I'm not really sure why. This is big boy sports and guys lose their spots all the time. The attitude is usually "Well, next man up". Why is it different for a guy who got a much longer leash than can really be explained? He's out because of poor performance...that's on him. You know who I feel bad for? Carl Lawson.

The thing with JJ was that the media latched onto him and hyped the hell out of him before he had the opportunity to earn that hype. It wasn't fair to him. There's nothing wrong with expressing compassion for the guy. You bring up a good point about Carl, though. We have kinda glossed over the news of his extended recovery time.

Sorry, but the media is not to blame here, but our own marketing department and coaches who fueled the hype. The media just took that and ran with it. There's no hype if Auburn isn't fueling the hype.

Afraid you are right...and from what I've noticed, Gus has been way too vocally optimistic about this year ....and about JJ.

We all thought JJ would step up and really do well. It didn't happen.

We all thought JJ would step up and really do well. It didn't happen.

FIFY... :-\

I actually though SW would start the season. After film and hearing from people who watched practice. SW may not be any good but I can't see how he could be worse than what we have seen so far. Heck, Jason Smith couldn't be worse, he isn't any less accurate than Marshall was coming out of Juco.

Good Luck to SW and JJ I hope you get whatever is up worked out.

WELL! Gus shut me up! No WAY i thought Sean had a snow ball chance in h3ll playing Saturday not to mention starting unless JJ just flat bombed. Stubborn Gus is growing up.

I just hope people are not too hard on Sean if it's not going like expected. Hope people don't think he's going to save us and make us elite in one game. Although..i/we can hope for that! :) Congrats to Sean and I know JJ will handle this situation with class. I hate it for him but it had to be done for the team. That's what's about...the team and not certain individuals. We still may need JJ down the line so i hope he's able to clear his head and better prepare mentally if he has to be called upon again.

No one should be real happy about this but it had to happen. Possible self evaluation for JJ at this point , maybe more than what he would have done going in as the starter.

totally agree. hope jj gets his mojo back......never imagined in million years this type of start to his career and our season

What is really funny is that the bammers are going nuts on al.com about this article....and they don't even know who is going to start for their team on Saturday. Always fun to see them get so wrapped up "all things Auburn" that they are oblivious to their own problems. Wonder if they will throw 58 passes again this week?

Meanwhile...pulling for #13 and the Tigers to do the job on Saturday.

WELL! Gus shut me up! No WAY i thought Sean had a snow ball chance in h3ll playing Saturday not to mention starting unless JJ just flat bombed. Stubborn Gus is growing up.

I just hope people are not too hard on Sean if it's not going like expected. Hope people don't think he's going to save us and make us elite in one game. Although..i/we can hope for that! :)/> Congrats to Sean and I know JJ will handle this situation with class. I hate it for him but it had to be done for the team. That's what's about...the team and not certain individuals. We still may need JJ down the line so i hope he's able to clear his head and better prepare mentally if he has to be called upon again.

Well, JJ has pretty much bombed so..

I think when the starter is doing bad everyone calls for the backup to be the starter. Before this season we saw JJ play against SEC competition and do very well. I refuse to look at a kid's high school all star game video to assure me he's our best option. His test is Saturday against a true SEC defense and I hope for the sake of our season and team that he is successful. I just think people should temper their expectations because we are going to need JJ again

Why do you care if people feel bad for JJ? Did you lose money on him or something? I'd say it is hard work to be on the football team so the guy has been working hard for 2.5 years to be good and he failed pretty badly. I don't know why you wouldn't feel bad for him unless you take his poor play personally and if that's the case you need to dial it back a notch.

I'm really interested to see Sean play. I think we have lots of problems other than QB (looking at you OL). But something had to change and glad to see Gus giving someone else a shot.

I said I didn't understand it and gave reasons why. You, for some reason, decided to turn it personal and accuse me of "needing to dial it back". Would y'all shed this many tears if Frost was benched?

I made valid points. Refute them.

Personally yeah I would feel bad for Frost. For the same reason I feel bad for Johnson. These guys aren't trying to play poorly. Not sure what you want me to refute though. Your questions seemed hypothetical to me but I could be wrong. So unless I've miss read your post completely, you seem to take issue with people feeling bad for JJ. Why is that if you didn't take his poor play personally?

Not really sure why you think I take his poor play "personally" just because I'm confused by this outpouring of emotion. Posters have literally said they're "devastated" for JJ. I haven't seen this type of emotional response being shown when other players get benched, so I'm asking why this case is any different. What ,exactly, are you not understanding?

I can tell you that these guys don't read message boards, but they don't have their heads in the sand either. As mentioned on another thread, Rhett Is as big as a competitor as they come, and he had to see the writing on the wall...this was the only choice.

IMO: I also think that Urbans decision to pull his championship QB over poor play helps the staff see that what's best for the team is often a hard personal decision to make.

Lately, I have often found myself wondering if there was a real QB competition in the spring, or if it was taken seriously by the coaches. If not, I can certainly understand the starting job basically defaulting to JJ. It makes sense that a two-year backup with a solid half starting against an SEC opponent in 2014 would be ahead of an incoming freshman and/or JUCO transfer (assuming Smith was ever really evaluated at QB). I find it difficult to believe that warning signs of this type of play eluded the coaches during the fall. Maybe it was the pressure of being in real games and being THE guy with lofty season expectations. I have a feeling that this decision was definitely nagging at Gus and Rhett by halftime at LSU, and I think not wanting to throw White to the wolves of Tiger Stadium with an LSU lead has a lot to do with why they stuck with JJ.

If White comes out and does well, we will find out what JJ is truly made of. Does it wreck his confidence and bench him permanently, or does it motivate him to work that much harder and dedicate himself to improving and earning his position back?

Well I'm going to wait until I see one entire half of football from him before deciding whether or not he's going to win the Heisman like the media did with JJ

Yeah most of us ate the hype up in hoping it was true, but damn they might've ruined his career before it got started. Not an excuse for JJ because his play, even if he wasn't predicted to do anything, would be reason to call for his benching.

However, I"m not expecting him to do too well. I mean, he's a RS-Freshman with zero playing experience. He's going to have to learn on the fly about SEC speed and that will cause some mistakes for sure. Lets hope it stays to a minimal amount.

This is a business guys. You play the one that produces. If White doesn't, then next man up. This isn't 75lb. league where everyone gets a trophy.

First time I've agreed with one of your posts in months.

I know JJ. JJ is a hard worker with a great football IQ. I do not know what has happened to his mindset in the recent weeks, but something definitely has him shaken up (besides the Cover 3). That being said, this team really looks to him as a leader. Maybe if Sean White is the juice, then JJ morphs in to a Kodi Burns-ish type role. Who knows, maybe a 6'5 240lb posession receiver could some good things in this offense.

Don't sleep on this kid. He's a great athlete and will find the playing field somewhere else if QB is taken.

Just picture it: Sean White throwing fade routes at the back corner pylon to JJ who is 6'5", 240lb and can jump out of a gym (See Carver HS basketball highlights). Great visual!

Chimes, I posted I'm devastated for JJ and if you're not you've either never played competitive college athletics or you need a solid dose of humanity... or both. JJ is not some screwoff that blew his chances by partying out of control or thumbing his nose at the rules. He's by all appearances a quality Auburn man that so far hasn't produced this season so he's being benched. Possibly permanently

Chimes, I posted I'm devastated for JJ and if you're not you've either never played competitive college athletics or you need a solid dose of humanity... or both. JJ is not some screwoff that blew his chances by partying out of control or thumbing his nose at the rules. He's by all appearances a quality Auburn man that so far hasn't produced this season so he's being benched. Possibly permanently

Little dramatic dont you think?

I'm sure Jeremy is an absolute quality person. No doubt. But Gus's job is to win football games. Period. He can't coddle these guys and expect to keep his job if the team is losing. Got to play the ones who produce. That's just life in general.

Ironically the last time somebody posted I was being excessively dramatic I had compared Kiehl Fraser's dropped TD against Clemson with JJ's called back TD for holding against Louisville as being possible career turning points. Interesting.

You didn't know? He is a world renowned coach.

Ironically the last time somebody posted I was being excessively dramatic I had compared Kiehl Fraser's dropped TD against Clemson with JJ's called back TD for holding against Louisville as being possible career turning points. Interesting.

i wouldnt label yourself Nostradamus just yet

I'm sure Jeremy is an absolute quality person. No doubt. But Gus's job is to win football games. Period. He can't coddle these guys and expect to keep his job if the team is losing. Got to play the ones who produce. That's just life in general.

that is what a multi-million dollar contract will force you to do. That is, if you are one of those types who likes to have millions of dollars. :thedeal: Making that kind of money at this game calls for you to have to make the hard decisions and to hurt some feelings that you just do not want to hurt.

Archived