31 ALEA Offices to Close in Alabama

autigeremt

The intent is obvious to anyone with a functioning brain stem.

Tex, this is suspicious. There is no other word. Gerrymandering, Crazy code words, now this incredibly skewed closing map. I gotta say that this looks pretty bad.

Cutting the jobs in the Black Belt areas too is above the pale. This is just crazy.

Raise the damn taxes.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Columnist John Archibald, meanwhile, observes that no Alabama counties in which more than 75 percent of registered voters are nonwhite will now have a driver's license office. Another way of framing the issue: Offices will be shuttered in the five counties whose voters most strongly supported Barack Obama in the 2012 presidential election.

http://www.slate.com...ter_id_law.html

Bunch of racially biased BS. Why doesn't he point out the overall population density of those counties (regardless of race) compared to other counties.

Irrelevant. If you are going to require a picture ID to vote, you cannot make it very difficult for people to obtain one.

It is very relevant. No one has said a picture ID is not required. It means people in less populated counties will have to travel further. They can carpool and thus use less gas, and hence reduce GW :bananadance:

Sorry, but I don't understand that.

My point is that a law requiring an ID, combined with a policy of reducing access to said ID is problematic, regardless of the rationale for doing so. The fact it is being applied to counties with relatively small populations is irrelevant from a voting rights standpoint. In fact, just the opposite; it's more like evidence.

I disagree so let's move on with different opinions.

So anyone who disagrees with your view doesn't have a functioning brain stem? Now that's a real civil injection and major contribution to the discussion.

I believe it's a terrible way to run a state. PT, I'm dead set against the current leadership in Montgomery. Unfortunately I don't see a challenge from anyone to stop it right now. The state Democratic Party is a total mess.

The Alabama Dems are a trainwreck. The state govt is a total mess. I heard Leland, the guy on WYDE? out of Bham the other day. He stated flatly: "$100M from the Lottery wont help the state of Alabama at all." Excuse me, but $100M would indeed help the state. That was what the fuss was all about anyway. The state wont raise property taxes in reasonable levels because it would hurt the tree and paper industry lobbyists in S Alabama. So we muddle thru with high sales taxes and let the paper industry etc got off with a free ride.

Of course $100 million is nothing to laugh at or turn down!

My concern is that, should we pass a lottery (which I am in favor of), folks will take the attitude that "Okay, that solves all our problems" when in fact $100M is only a drop in the bucket compared to our overall educational and/or general fund needs. And if we follow the example of Georgia, those lottery revenues would only benefit the college-bound and the campuses they go to anyway.

I'm in favor of a state lottery. I just don't want it to be seen as a panacea for all our problems, or an excuse to continue with our currently inadequate, regressive tax system.

I need that education lottery in a hurry. I got three girls to send to college in the next decade and a half. :beat up:

We need to team up and start marching on Montgomery. :)

After seeing how the state has dealt with other issues in the Black Belt I would agree 100%. Most places in that region can't access basic services (clean drinking water being one of them).

Columnist John Archibald, meanwhile, observes that no Alabama counties in which more than 75 percent of registered voters are nonwhite will now have a driver's license office. Another way of framing the issue: Offices will be shuttered in the five counties whose voters most strongly supported Barack Obama in the 2012 presidential election.

Bunch of racially biased BS. Why doesn't he point out the overall population density of those counties (regardless of race) compared to other counties.

Irrelevant. If you are going to require a picture ID to vote, you cannot make it very difficult for people to obtain one.

It is very relevant. No one has said a picture ID is not required. It means people in less populated counties will have to travel further. They can carpool and thus use less gas, and hence reduce GW :bananadance:

Sorry, but I don't understand that.

My point is that a law requiring an ID, combined with a policy of reducing access to said ID is problematic, regardless of the rationale for doing so. The fact it is being applied to counties with relatively small populations is irrelevant from a voting rights standpoint. In fact, just the opposite; it's more like evidence.

I disagree so let's move on with different opinions.

You must be on some new meds. Stick with them.

Cool. You're in charge of torches. I've got the pitchforks.

Cool. You're in charge of torches. I've got the pitchforks.

mf0qQzK.jpg

I believe it's a terrible way to run a state. PT, I'm dead set against the current leadership in Montgomery. Unfortunately I don't see a challenge from anyone to stop it right now. The state Democratic Party is a total mess.

The Alabama Dems are a trainwreck. The state govt is a total mess. I heard Leland, the guy on WYDE? out of Bham the other day. He stated flatly: "$100M from the Lottery wont help the state of Alabama at all." Excuse me, but $100M would indeed help the state. That was what the fuss was all about anyway. The state wont raise property taxes in reasonable levels because it would hurt the tree and paper industry lobbyists in S Alabama. So we muddle thru with high sales taxes and let the paper industry etc got off with a free ride.

Of course $100 million is nothing to laugh at or turn down!

My concern is that, should we pass a lottery (which I am in favor of), folks will take the attitude that "Okay, that solves all our problems" when in fact $100M is only a drop in the bucket compared to our overall educational and/or general fund needs. And if we follow the example of Georgia, those lottery revenues would only benefit the college-bound and the campuses they go to anyway.

I'm in favor of a state lottery. I just don't want it to be seen as a panacea for all our problems, or an excuse to continue with our currently inadequate, regressive tax system.

I need that education lottery in a hurry. I got three girls to send to college in the next decade and a half. :beat up:

+2

Nor can you, as this appears to do, selectively make it more difficult for one group or class of citizens to vote than another group.

A casual look at the list doesn't show me a racial motivation here. My county is losing both of our our driver's license places and Tallapoosa doesn't fall into the heavy minority group. We are rural, and I think that's where the numbers fell.

I imagine the rural nature of Tallapoosa was the dominant factor. Although just because one or a few counties didn't fall into the minority demographic doesn't mean it's not going to selectively impact minorities and/or probable Democratic voters the most, or that it's not discriminatory, in effect even if not intent.

And race aside, seems like it's grossly unfair to the poor and the rural regardless of race.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I wonder if the money spent defending this in court wouldn't be better spent on mobile offices, "License-mobiles" if you will, that could make the rounds of rural areas on a regular basis. They could set up at existing county courthouses, shopping malls, and civic parking centers on a regularly announced schedule...perhaps even expanding access over what already existed They could also possibly assist/fill in at a permanent full-time office during a period of unusual demand or emergency at one of them.

If they wanted to they could set up a mobile office that travels to these counties once every couple of weeks and the problem is solved. That way folks can get an id if needed

So anyone who disagrees with your view doesn't have a functioning brain stem? Now that's a real civil injection and major contribution to the discussion.

No, but those who can't see something this obvious are either blooming idiots, in denial or both.

Nor can you, as this appears to do, selectively make it more difficult for one group or class of citizens to vote than another group.

A casual look at the list doesn't show me a racial motivation here. My county is losing both of our our driver's license places and Tallapoosa doesn't fall into the heavy minority group. We are rural, and I think that's where the numbers fell.

I imagine the rural nature of Tallapoosa was the dominant factor. Although just because one or a few counties didn't fall into the minority demographic doesn't mean it's not going to selectively impact minorities and/or probable Democratic voters the most, or that it's not discriminatory, in effect even if not intent.

And race aside, seems like it's grossly unfair to the poor and the rural regardless of race.

I wonder if the money spent defending this in court wouldn't be better spent on mobile offices, "License-mobiles" if you will, that could make the rounds of rural areas on a regular basis. They could set up at existing county courthouses, shopping malls, and civic parking centers on a regularly announced schedule...perhaps even expanding access over what already existed They could also possibly assist/fill in at a permanent full-time office during a period of unusual demand or emergency at one of them.

This is just an effort by Bentley to draw attention to the lack of higher taxes or gambling being allowed. He's cutting where it will cause the most trouble for tax payers. The voterID thing just adds to it the pain, but in a risky manner. the Federal government does the same when it closes parks and monuments, then lays off civil servants, but pays them later! There are other places bentley could cut, but they are not noticeable to the average citizen.

That's a good idea. Sort of a "bookmobile" approach.

Remember when I said, "sometimes it is not possible"? This is pretty close. You did well!

Remember when I said, "sometimes it is not possible"? This is pretty close. You did well!

What's my score? Any chance I will make the playoffs? :dunno:

I have to be honest, I see the improved effort but, you're still trying to overcome the QB issues, your offense is struggling to find an "identity", your best defensive player is likely out for the season, you have other injury issues, you are playing true freshmen in your secondary, your defense as a whole is improving but, is still below expectations, and,,,,,,,,,,,,,if that is not enough, your play calling isn't helping matters.

I have to be honest, I see the improved effort but, you're still trying to overcome the QB issues, your offense is struggling to find an "identity", your best defensive player is likely out for the season, you have other injury issues, you are playing true freshmen in your secondary, your defense as a whole is improving but, is still below expectations, and,,,,,,,,,,,,,if that is not enough, your play calling isn't helping matters.

Sounds a bit like Auburn. With that I'm off to bed. Good night.

This is just an effort by Bentley to draw attention to the lack of higher taxes or gambling being allowed. He's cutting where it will cause the most trouble for tax payers. The voterID thing just adds to it the pain, but in a risky manner. the Federal government does the same when it closes parks and monuments, then lays off civil servants, but pays them later! There are other places bentley could cut, but they are not noticeable to the average citizen.

An angle that had not even crossed my mind, and another feasible motive to consider. Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

An angle that had not even crossed my mind, and another feasible motive to consider. Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

Every Montgomery Insider I have heard/read/was quoted by someone else said essentially the same thing. Cause pain, threaten pain to educate the Alabama voter that we have to raise taxes to reasonable levels.

http://m.wsfa.com/wsfa/pm_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=od:rGoXQnI2

“The closure of 31 DMV offices will not leave citizens without a place to receive the required I.D. card to vote,” said Secretary Merrill. “All 67 counties in Alabama have a Board of Registrars that issue photo voter I.D. cards. If for some reason those citizens are not able to make it to the Board of Registrars, we'll bring our mobile I.D. van and crew to that county. By October 31 our office will have brought the mobile I.D. van to every county in Alabama at least once. One of the most fundamental rights we as Americans are afforded is our right to vote. As Alabama’s Secretary of State and Chief Elections Official, I will do everything within my power to ensure every Alabamian is able to exercise their right to vote.”

I guess this affects everyone equally :big:

http://www.al.com/ne...tml#incart_2box

NOW we have a chance to rally the state. ;)

Marion, 423 Washington St.

Linden, 505 South Main St.

Those two little towns might as well close down. There aint nothing to do in Marion but the liquor store anyway.

Those poor kids at Judson and MMI.

Archived