I love Malzahn...BUT

thaitopher

Actually, on that play the refs weren't standing over the ball.

The game I watched, there wasn't a play where the refs weren't standing over the ball or on top of our center. I remember one play where the play clock was at 11 seconds and the ref was up on our line preventing the play from starting.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The game I watched, there wasn't a play where the refs weren't standing over the ball or on top of our center. I remember one play where the play clock was at 11 seconds and the ref was up on our line preventing the play from starting.

I think that is on us though, if we sub late we have to allow the other team time to sub. The rules may need tweeking, but they are the rules and we are aware of them. If we want to snap the ball earlier, we need to sub earlier, or not at all

I think that is on us though, if we sub late we have to allow the other team time to sub. The rules may need tweeking, but they are the rules and we are aware of them. If we want to snap the ball earlier, we need to sub earlier, or not at all

It's totally irrelevant whether the ref was standing over the ball because by the time it was snapped they still only had eight players on the field.

Seems to me that if the rules allow the play clock to run while the defense is subbing, a strategic coach could take all but a few seconds and make his opponent rush their snap or get called for delay.

That being said, there were definitely plays in the first half where we were in hurry up mode and didn't sub and the refs wouldn't get out of the way. That stood out even more in the 4th quarter where Kentucky was in hurry up and the refs rushed to get the ball placed for them. I think this crew left a lot to be desired... their ball placement sucked, too.

All this fake punt suggesting is dumb. If you watch the play, the ref stands behind the center with his arm out telling the punter to wait. He stays there until UK gets their punt return team on the field. If AU had snapped the ball it would have been a snap infraction. Geez.

Not exactly. The ref does hold the play, but then lets it go with fewer than 11 KY men on the field. It was a KY screwup. They didn't try to field 11 men for the play. A snap to one of the punter protection team would easily have gained a first if executed properly.

Also, the time clock wasn't an issue because it wasn't running after the KY timeout.

All this fake punt suggesting is dumb. If you watch the play, the ref stands behind the center with his arm out telling the punter to wait. He stays there until UK gets their punt return team on the field. If AU had snapped the ball it would have been a snap infraction. Geez.

after the ref backed off there was a period of time we could have quick snapped on them. We didn't for already mentioned reasons. They still were in no position to defend a well designed fake. They were never ready.

It's totally irrelevant whether the ref was standing over the ball because by the time it was snapped they still only had eight players on the field.

Please stop and go back and watch the play on WatchESPN again.

Not exactly. The ref does hold the play, but then lets it go with fewer than 11 KY men on the field. It was a KY screwup. They didn't try to field 11 men for the play. A snap to one of the punter protection team would easily have gained a first if executed properly.

Also, the time clock wasn't an issue because it wasn't running after the KY timeout.

and also not prepared for, called in as the play and likely would have been disastrous as nobody on our team was on that page. I suppose the center, not knowing how many players KY has out as his head is down, could snap the ball to a guy not expecting it and just hope he grabs it and runs the right direction :dunno:

A well coached team would have gotten the first down.

A lot of well coached teams get stopped on 4th and 1. See the Iron Bowl 2013.

Don't waste your breath... those who are on the "our coaches suck"' bandwagon cannot be swayed.

Don't waste your breath... those who are on the "our coaches suck"' bandwagon cannot be swayed.

You are right. Thanks for the levity.

NOT when the defense only has three players on the LOS

and also not prepared for, called in as the play and likely would have been disastrous as nobody on our team was on that page. I suppose the center, not knowing how many players KY has out as his head is down, could snap the ball to a guy not expecting it and just hope he grabs it and runs the right direction :dunno:

"if executed properly" kinda implies premeditaion, no?

If we actually had a play designed for the fake punt. Not just an off the cuff snap. I guess I need to spell everything out from now on. Sheeesh..

Yes, there were 8 men, but it's not like AU is going to take the time to count their players in that situation and decide at the last second to snap it to a protection back. There were a lot of guys moving on and off the field and it was hard to keep track of. UK couldn't do it and it was there team. I would be from the sidelines they couldn't tell. Maybe the punter could and he could have signeled something, but you are taking a big risk of snapping the ball to a guy with no lead blocker who is likely not a RB or WR who could handle doing that.

NOT when the defense only has three players on the LOS

Ok, you win. Gus sucks. AU sucks.

Yes, there were 8 men, but it's not like AU is going to take the time to count their players in that situation and decide at the last second to snap it to a protection back. There were a lot of guys moving on and off the field and it was hard to keep track of. UK couldn't do it and it was there team. I would be from the sidelines they couldn't tell. Maybe the punter could and he could have signeled something, but you are taking a big risk of snapping the ball to a guy with no lead blocker who is likely not a RB or WR who could handle doing that.

Just saying it was actually quite possible to make the first with a fake punt, the ref standing over the ball had no real effect on the play and there would have been no penalty if we'd have snapped it because we actually did snap it when fewer than 11 KY men were on the field.

Just saying it was actually quite possible to make the first with a fake punt, the ref standing over the ball had no real effect on the play and there would have been no penalty if we'd have snapped it.

You are right. I was assuming (what does that do?) people were saying it should have been snapped during the chaos.

What I do not understand is AU ran their punt team out after the time out. They didn't change the personel once they were out there. UK sent out their defense be decided to change to a shell of their punt return team. I don't understand why the ref help up play. AU didn't sub after the timeout and didn't delay running anyone on. They were in there punt formation early. I think the refs just deceded to bail UK out a little for sending on their defense first.

Very disappointed that we punted on 4th and 1 when Kentucky only had 8 players on the field. I think a well coached team would have taken advantage of that defensive set up and run the ball. If Kentucky has 11 players then fine, punt the ball, but there is no excuse when it would have essentially been a gimme to get the first down.

I wanted to go for it. But what I liked about that decision, was him talking to Muschamp on the sideline and Muschamp telling him the D WILL get the stop. Gus trusted him and punted.

Will and the defense needed a show of confidence and they backed it up. I wanted to go for it too but, in retrospect, it was the right call for the team.

I agree, sure its fun to go for the 4th and 1 (until it's stopped). But it was the best call for the TEAM. I think letting the D get the stop to end the game give more confience to build on for the team as a whole, not just getting the 1 yard for the O. IMHO

This thread reminds me how little actual coaching experience exists amongst message board soothsayers.

I think it's video games really. If I want to run an audible, I just have to press a button combination and the punt team now runs a RB Gut. Easy peasy.

This thread reminds me how little actual coaching experience exists amongst message board soothsayers.

I think it's video games really. If I want to run an audible, I just have to press a button combination and the punt team now runs a RB Gut. Easy peasy.

Exactly. Everyone is a hindsight genius that thinks of every contingency. Had we run a fake on the fly there and in the confusion a UK player came through to make the tackle, everyone would be screaming bloody murder. If you call a fake, fine. You don't audible there and hope for the best.

Archived