I love Malzahn...BUT

thaitopher

Completely understand where you are coming from. Maybe I shouldn't have said the phrase "if this was a well coached team." Obviously, Gus has showed coaching brilliance in the previous years and I fully give him credit for that...it just appeared to be lacking on that one play.

That's the kind of critique that Malzahn is well compensated for receiving. And, as somebody else suggested, he'll probably be ready next time. That's just the kind of thing that only a handful of veteran coaches would be prepared for, IMO.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A well coached team would have gotten the first down.

Now we're getting to the root of the issue. Thaitopher, you may not mean to be, but you're trolling hard.

How is that trolling? What, for saying what I think????

The thread is troliing for folks to complain about how ill-coached the team is. It's not about discussing that one call. You just showed your hand. I still wonder if you're trolling on purpose. But make no mistake -- the thread invites people to complain about the coaches/team, not just to discuss that one call.

I haven't called for Gus to be fired. In the thread title I made it a point to mention that I love Gus, but was disappointed with this one call. Hardly call that trolling.

So, not on purpose, then?

If not, you should take a look at the thread and your posts in it. Because what appears to be your actual position is that this is not a well-coached team. That one play is merely the pretense for you to make that larger point -- and to invite others to join you in doing so.

I would invite you to read my 450 plus posts (I am sure you don't have the time). These are probably the first posts I have ever criticized Gus since being a member on this site over a year and a half ago. I am not of the trolling crowd, but I don't think I should be bashed for giving the opinion that the team should have been ready to take advantage of UK's screw up. It's unexcusable to not take advantage of that situation, when they have 3 players on the line of scrimmage and one yard to go.

Sorry if you feel bashed. That's not my intention at all. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, since I have probably read most (if not all) of your posts. If you were a serial troll, I wouldn't take the time to discuss any of this with you. Since I don't think you are, I thought I'd take the time to suggest you go back over this thread to see if you can see what I see in it. If I thought you were hopeless, I'd never even make that suggestion.

:cheers:/>

Completely understand where you are coming from. Maybe I shouldn't have said the phrase "if this was a well coached team." Obviously, Gus has showed coaching brilliance in the previous years and I fully give him credit for that...it just appeared to be lacking on that one play.

It looked like a real opportunity, for sure. I'd actually have gone for it on fourth down and not brought the punt team out. But it's difficult to see how he could have anticipated that exact situation, with UK running out only 8 men for punt coverage. It'd be nice to think he'd install some kind of hot read/audible for that sort of eventuality in the future. But that might be riskier than sticking the O out there and going for it straight up. I mean, we consistently outflanked them througout the game running to one side or the other; and Peyton wasn't stoned for no gain, that I remember, all night. So, we had options.

I was ok with the decision to punt, until it it became clear that UK's defense was in chaos and getting a first down would have been a gimme...had the special teams been ready to act on it.

"How is that trolling? What, for saying what I think???? "<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Maybe saying something before you think.... ;-)

A well coached team would have gotten the first down.

Now we're getting to the root of the issue. Thaitopher, you may not mean to be, but you're trolling hard.

How is that trolling? What, for saying what I think????

The thread is troliing for folks to complain about how ill-coached the team is. It's not about discussing that one call. You just showed your hand. I still wonder if you're trolling on purpose. But make no mistake -- the thread invites people to complain about the coaches/team, not just to discuss that one call.

I haven't called for Gus to be fired. In the thread title I made it a point to mention that I love Gus, but was disappointed with this one call. Hardly call that trolling.

So, not on purpose, then?

If not, you should take a look at the thread and your posts in it. Because what appears to be your actual position is that this is not a well-coached team. That one play is merely the pretense for you to make that larger point -- and to invite others to join you in doing so.

I would invite you to read my 450 plus posts (I am sure you don't have the time). These are probably the first posts I have ever criticized Gus since being a member on this site over a year and a half ago. I am not of the trolling crowd, but I don't think I should be bashed for giving the opinion that the team should have been ready to take advantage of UK's screw up. It's unexcusable to not take advantage of that situation, when they have 3 players on the line of scrimmage and one yard to go.

Sorry if you feel bashed. That's not my intention at all. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, since I have probably read most (if not all) of your posts. If you were a serial troll, I wouldn't take the time to discuss any of this with you. Since I don't think you are, I thought I'd take the time to suggest you go back over this thread to see if you can see what I see in it. If I thought you were hopeless, I'd never even make that suggestion.

:cheers:/>

It looked like a real opportunity, for sure. I'd actually have gone for it on fourth down and not brought the punt team out. But it's difficult to see how he could have anticipated that exact situation, with UK running out only 8 men for punt coverage. It'd be nice to think he'd install some kind of hot read/audible for that sort of eventuality in the future. But that might be riskier than sticking the O out there and going for it straight up. I mean, we consistently outflanked them througout the game running to one side or the other; and Peyton wasn't stoned for no gain, that I remember, all night. So, we had options.

I was ok with the decision to punt, until it it became clear that UK's defense was in chaos and getting a first down would have been a gimme...had the special teams been ready to act on it.

Yeah, it looked like a real opportunity, I agree. But if you've just made the decision to punt because you want to put the game on the D's shoulders, I don't think it's in your mindset at the time. You know what I mean? He and Will decided together to punt, it looked like. Minds made up like that are sometimes difficult to change on the spur of the moment. It would be great if we could coach the punt team up to where they could make the decision to go in a situation like that. But man, would that require some discipline!

Gus showed incredible foresight in putting Davis in the endzone on the Kick Six play. I wish he would have shown the same foresight last night in getting his players prepared for a situation like that, whether it is an audible by one of the players on the field, or whatever it might have been.

I could have sworn I saw a post-game interview where Chris Davis said it was coach Cheese who made the decision to put him back there.

Gus showed incredible foresight in putting Davis in the endzone on the Kick Six play. I wish he would have shown the same foresight last night in getting his players prepared for a situation like that, whether it is an audible by one of the players on the field, or whatever it might have been.

I could have sworn I saw a post-game interview where Chris Davis said it was coach Cheese who made the decision to put him back there.

Correct.

yep. not 100% sure who it was, buit it definitely was not Gus. I remember the same interview

I just wanted Jeremy to get the chance to run the QB sneak and win the game outright

Would've been very feel good

For whom?

I just wanted Jeremy to get the chance to run the QB sneak and win the game outright

For whom?

Lol thats what I was thinking. JJ? His parents? Duke Williams?

I didn't count players but saw some running on and some running off . I was just screaming snap it, thought surely it was substitution penalty.

No ref didn't let them snap till players stopped coming on and off. We had subbed our kicking team so they have to be allowed time to get their team on the field

I didn't count players but saw some running on and some running off . I was just screaming snap it, thought surely it was substitution penalty.

No ref didn't let them snap till players stopped coming on and off. We had subbed our kicking team so they have to be allowed time to get their team on the field

the ref moved before the player confusion stopped. they were not set/aligned and there was only 8 of them. not a penalty but like others said a competent fake play would never have a better chance to work.

the ref moved before the player confusion stopped. they were not set/aligned and there was only 8 of them. not a penalty but like others said a competent fake play would never have a better chance to work.

Except that it wsan't called in. I suppose there could have been an audible, but no one was really expecting Arky to only end up with 8 on the field. Time clock was running down and no one on Auburn's team was looking at the sideline for a possible audible so it would have been difficult to get in and run properly. Maybe now that this has happened (which I and most others have never seen before) they will have a plan for it. Up until that occured, there was never a reason to plan for it because it had never really happened before. Sure it would be nice to be prepared for all circumstances and be able to take advantage, but atleast the regular punt team is doing a good job overall. Thats more important than any trick play iyam.

please - take this to one of the JJ thread's - please

I for one liked the call! He asked Coach Boom what he thought and Coach Boom said let my defense have a shot to finish it. They did.

It might end up being the most important decision Gus makes this season.

I for one liked the call! He asked Coach Boom what he thought and Coach Boom said let my defense have a shot to finish it. They did.

Exactly. That was one segment of the team trusting another to do their job and secure a win. It was the right call for the team.

Exactly. That was one segment of the team trusting another to do their job and secure a win. It was the right call for the team.

can you imagine a scenario where the dc says " no you better go for it. We can't stop them "?

can you imagine a scenario where the dc says " no you better go for it. We can't stop them "?

I could see CWM saying that to CGM if he didn't trust his defense, yes. Coach Boom isn't shy about the defense's shortcomings

I could see CWM saying that to CGM if he didn't trust his defense, yes. Coach Boom isn't shy about the defense's shortcomings

i thought we were going to lose after that punt. He is more confident than me.

For whom?

Obviously Jeremy, who else? Stupid question.

For whom?

Obviously Jeremy, who else? Stupid question.

So it's important to do this to make that one person happy....even possibly at the expense of other team members ? now that's a stupid reason IMO.

I doubt we have a fake play in our arsenal for punt or field goal teams. Maybe we do for field goal because holder Stovall is very athletic. What if UK had only 3 players on defense. We surely would have looked foolish kicking the ball on such a critical play. Maybe putting Cox or Pettway back there might be something to consider.

I doubt we have a fake play in our arsenal for punt or field goal teams. Maybe we do for field goal because holder Stovall is very athletic. What if UK had only 3 players on defense. We surely would have looked foolish kicking the ball on such a critical play. Maybe putting Cox or Pettway back there might be something to consider.

How hard would it be, right? Just make Kerryon a part of the protection squad. Let him yell an audible like, "Stoops", take the snap and run for the 1st...

Archived